GA Prozinc Dosing Help please!! - Smogi Affect??

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Stephanie Rozin, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Stephanie Rozin

Stephanie Rozin New Member

Hi my cat Walter has been on insulin for almost 6 months. The entire time I have been questioning whether or not he needs insulin because his numbers have been all over the place. The vet I went to did not issue a fructosamine test for walters blood but we instead put him on insulin and changed his diet right away. The first mistake of many that happened during this. It feels as if things are improving but there is really some confusion I have with the numbers.

when we raise the dose I sometimes see his preshot numbers raise to 32 MMOLS. Im wondering could he be bouncing?

Walter has also had convulsions since we first put him on insulin. It was worse with lantus. The devils advocate in me is thinking (hoping) that maybe walter isnt actually diabetic and his diabetes is being created by the insulin and the symogi affect.

The key reason I think this is because some BG readings I get after food/pre insulin raise up by 20 points. This doesnt seem right as he is currently on 5/6 can of Purina DM every 12 hours and I was told this could only raise his bg by 14.

These are my take aways. Im hoping someone with more experience can jump in to help or give advice. Im planning on keeping the dose the same for a week at 1.5 ui for the time being but im worried about my cat. This whole experience has been going downhill. Im trying to keep positive and I hope that someone here can help.

Here is Walters Chart https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zDn9NAUd-vZUPo1M9ewqZcZn25I-BwMCx8MUTMOjzWU/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Steph

2. Stephanie Rozin

@JanetNJ hi Janet I was hoping if you could take a look at this. Thank you

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

What is your emergency Stephanie?

I'm not seeing an emergency situation when I read through your thread.

Haven't seen Janet around all day. Bad snow and wind storm here on the east coast. So she may not be available.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Hi... Sorry wasn't around today. We got hit with almost two feet of snow.

I think 1.5 is too much. Your doses are jumping all over the place. I think it's too much because even 1.25 sent her into low green numbers.

I would suggest going to 1 unit and HOLDING that dose for a week (unless it goes low and you have to reduce) and see what happens.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Stephanie Rozin

Thank you Janet. Thank you deb

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Stephanie, would you please remove the 911 prefix from your thread title?

Just like when we dial 911, we only use that prefix for an immediate emergency.
    You can go to the top right corner of the thread, at the very top and you should see something called "Thread Tools". Click on the "Edit" drop down box, and that will let you edit your thread title. I probably don't have the exact words right on what that says, but close enough that you should see how you can edit your title.

7. Stephanie Rozin

@Deb & Wink I just removed, I didn't realize that this was such a priority. I will not do this next time. The reason I did this was because I was not getting any replies. It is really hard to see how many views and no replies associated. I appreciate you replying and thank you for your help.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Stephanie Rozin

@JanetNJ Thank you again for your help. We are currently on Day 3 of 1 unit. It seems that Walters numbers are bouncing. I will hold for the next week unless I see low numbers. I appreciate your help and offering previously on FaceBook. Thank you Janet!!!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  9. Stephanie Rozin

I also hope the snow isn't too bad for you. I am in Toronto, Canada. We have snow but not that much aha

Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Give it a few more days, but looks like you might need to go back to 1.25 in the not too distant future. We had a lot of snow... about 20 inches. should be getting some more sun into monday. I'm a little confused by your spreadsheet... why does it only have space for am readings up to three hours past shot time? What if you take a reading 5 hours past shot time? and in the PM section it starts with a column for numbers starting at 4 hours past shot time? What do you do if you take a reading 2 hours past shot time? You would have nowhere to put it.

Something that would be very helpful would be if you could set up a signature like the ones you see below each of our posts. To do that, click on your name a the top right and choose signture. Add things such as your pet's name, date diagnosed, type of insulin, food you are feeding, and any other health concerns. Also add in the link to your spreadsheet... then hit save. It would help us to see basic info at a glance and prevent us from asking you the same questions over and over. :D

YOu are doing a great job... your cat is lucky to have you.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  11. Deb & Wink

Stephanie, it takes time to learn the ins and outs of a message board such as this. Just like managing feline diabetes is a marathon, not a sprint, it will take time.
    Don't know how much you have been able to pick up about navigating the message board. Have you seen this thread? >>>>>> Sticky HOW-TO USE THE FDMB: The Basics It's from the Announcements & How to use the FDMB forum. Thought it might be helpful to you.

p.s. GA means your cat has died. Is Walter still alive? :nailbiting: