Prozinc dosing question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Donna G., Nov 16, 2021.

1. Donna G.

Donna G. Member

I increased my cat, Nicky’s Prozinc a day ago to 2.5 units 2x daily from 2 units 2x daily. Finally today, after being on Prozinc since 11/5/21, my cat has a reading of 130, after nine hours since morning shot. I use Alphatrak meter. My question is should I reduce his evening shot back to 2 units or 2.25, or leave at 2.5 units? He gets his PM shot about 7:30pm and of course I will test his blood sugar before the shot and make sure he eats. I’m glad number is 130, but think it’s odd that after all these days and nine hours from morning shot his reading is at 130. Don’t want him to go too low. Any guidance appreciated. Thank you! Donna

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

That was a very big reduction in dose when you switched, have you been testing for ketones?

It's possible he went lower before that 130, so you could go to 2.25 U if you'd feel more comfortable. We usually increase by 0.25U increments.

What's your feeding schedule?

3. Donna G.

Donna G. Member

My cat usually eats 3 oz wet 7:30am then around 1-1/2 oz by noon more wet, then around 5pm 2 oz wet then maybe by 9pm another oz. I pick up all food after that so no eating at night. He gets a few pieces Hills dry glucosupport as treat after testing. I was not at able to test midday today and think maybe his number was lower than 130 after 5 hours of AM shot. Going to test BG soon and then decide what to do, but most likely it will be a reduction. Vet should be returning my call tomorrow

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Yes unless he throws an unusually low PS, but I doubt it given your last test

Per the dosing methods here you would hold the dose, but again we don't know how low he may have gone.

Would you be able to do a full curve sometime soon? We don't quite have enough data to pinpoint when his usual nadir is. The reason I mention this is we try to feed the bulk of the food before nadir, with maybe just a small snack afterwards. Reasoning is that you want to feed when insulin is strongest, in the later part of the cycle it's wearing off so the effect of the carbs is greater and can send them pretty high vs if it had been fed earlier

5. Donna G.

Donna G. Member

BG now 421 going to give 2.25 units. Thx!

FrostD likes this.
  6. Donna G.

Donna G. Member

Going to do glucose curve soon. Want to discuss with vet because they wanted to do at office but I prefer to do at home.

FrostD likes this.
  7. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

At home is better in my opinion. Much less stress, they're often higher at the vet due to stress, etc. Not to mention cheaper at home! Can just send in the results

8. Donna G.

Donna G. Member

I agree. Going to tell vet tomorrow will send my own glucose curve. Our new vet agreeable to his thankfully. She just is not at facility 5/days a week so she’s there tomorrow and will speak to her then.

FrostD likes this.
  9. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Oh I forgot to mention two things - if you do mess with feeding times, be sure.to monitor closely. Sometimes it can have quite a drastic effect, just by moving food.

Also, it's possible that 130 was a fluke reading. When you get a number you don't expect, be sure to test again. Sometimes it's a bad strip, sometimes not enough blood, etc.