Prozinc Early Nadir -- when should next dose be?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Camcat, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Camcat

Camcat Member

Hi all,
    I'm starting to see that my cat has a nadir at about +4 and bs starts to rise again at +6. Does anyone know -- does this mean the insulin wears off sooner? Should I be shooting every 10 or 11 hours instead of 12? I'm currently trying to manage a bouncing kitty, and wondering if I have to wait the full 12 hours before next dose.

2. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

I'm not experienced enough to give you any dosing advice, but just wanted to let you know that my kitty also has an early nadir (usually around +3) and although he often begins rising again until about +8, he will start to drop again by +10/+11. So just because he has an early nadir, it doesn't mean the insulin stops working. Personally, I wouldn't switch up the 12 hour schedule unless you have a lot of data to back it up. However from what I've been told, you can be up to an hour off with ProZinc and it's okay to shoot still, so I also wouldn't worry that you did. They can be pretty unpredictable at the beginning and nadir can change and your kitty might not always nadir at +4 just because he has before. I know it can be hard to not react to a number, but you don't necessarily want to go changing things up because of one (high) number. Just something to keep in mind.

Camcat likes this.
  3. Camcat

Camcat Member

Thank you, Chloe.