Prozinc effect on appetite

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Alice and Tabby, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Tabby has always at 3/4 to an entire 5.5oz can of Friskies am and another can in the pm. He sometimes ate the entire can but mostly left a little in the bowl to nibble on. Since starting Prozinc he is eating the entire 5.5oz can and crying and crying for more food 3 hours later. This is not normal behavior for him. He usually fills his belly and goes to sleep and he's fine even when I come into the kitchen. Now he's begging and crying for more food. I know for a fact that this new insulin is the only change he has had. So I know that Prozinc is effecting his appetite. I am not sure if this will subside as his body adjusts to the Prozinc or if it will be an ongoing problem.
    I would like eveyone who is on Prozinc to post what they have noticed about their furries hunger while on prozinc. Also how long it lasted or is still going on. And Garth, I think you read a study on prozinc and cats? Did you notice any mention of appetite being effected? I hope this is a passing problem and will go away. Just want to get everyone to weigh in on this. The more we know the better we can handle this.

2. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

My experience with Buddha is that when his bg is way high, then he drinks a lot. When is bg is high he eats a lot: when he wants fed, he wants fed NOW, and when food is not put down quick enough, he'll find his own food somewhere on the counter or table or plants in the window. When his bg is not so high, he gets all the water he wants from his wet food and he'll leave some food on his plate, though he'll come back for it later.

3. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

But Donna, did u notice an increase in appetite when u started prozinc?I am Seeing if there's a connection. This is seperate from the usual high BG's/increased appetite.

4. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

Before ProZinc, Buddha was eating Wellness Core Dry, 2 meals a day, no snacking (mostly), with Vetsulin 2u BID.

So many changes since then, I really can't compare.

(And prior to the Vetsulin, Buddha ate and ate and ate dry food. I know I fed him too much--diet food because he was so fat--but kept feeding him anyway, because when the food dish was empty, my two cats got surly and fought nasty, nasty fights.)

5. Beth & Jasmine

Beth & Jasmine New Member

Jasmine started Prozinc yesterday and I have noticed an increase in her appetite. Her BG is very high though so assuming that has a lot to do with it.

6. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

When Bix acts like that (no ProZ here, just Idexx), it's usually because I overshot and he is heading low. I don't see anything remotely like that in your #s though, so it seems unlikely. It does seem like a couple kitties on ProZ (don't recall which, sorry) have gotten some early drops. Out of curiousity, I suppose you could try more early spot tests, especially if he is acting like he's starving - test before feeding at +3 or whenever he starts acting hungry crazy (if you haven't already tried that). I don't know if steep drops trigger hunger? Seems possible (not to say you are seeing steep drops, just in general terms).

My other thought is with the reduced ProZ dose, maybe that has led to higher numbers and it's that kind of eating?

Those are my only ideas, but again I haven't used PZIR at all.

7. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

I wish ProZinc increased H's appetite! Then I wouldn't have to give appetite stimulants to him. I'd have a 2-in-1 med. :smile:

H gets regular appetite stimulants to counteract the appetite suppressing chemicals his tumor releases along with other thing that may be driving down his appetite.

Raging appetite is usually when they are unregulated. Their bodies are unable to process food fully. They can eat more and even lose weight.

Also others have noticed that if they shoot "too much" insulin and their kitties goes low, some kitties automatically react by eating more as their first defense against hypo.

Alice,
    Any chance [in your spare time ;-) ] I can get you to set up a profile and put your scale that you have been using in that profile?

8. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

He's usually starving right before his pmps so we know that number isn't too low. It must be a case of every insulin effects every cat different.

9. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

Gator, I did that a day or so ago. Just click on the globe thing under Tabbby's name and it's a link to my profile on the old site. I added his scale at this time to the profile. It is a work in progress as we have just started Prozinc. I am not going to commit myself to a dose until I see how we do at other numbers. So the spreadsheet is right below this. Tabby's Spreadsheet. And his scale is in the profile, under his picture.(the globe thing)

10. Alice and Tabby

Alice and Tabby Member

So it appears Tabby is being Tabby. It's usually close to his ps time when he gets really hungry and i test him around than anyway. Hopefully his body will adjust to the Prozinc and his hungers will level out.

11. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

LOL OK I must be either really slow on the pickup or there is no globe in the subsilver2 theme I uses for this board. BUT I do know how to find your profile on this board which you say is linked to the other. Sorry to bug you, you probably thought I had lost my mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.