Prozinc numbers steady but not falling

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by AlexH, Sep 6, 2021.

1. AlexH

AlexH New Member

Hello all

Ziggy has been progressing steadily after his DKA (Seems very bright, not in pain, very few symptoms etc apart from an extreme appetite), and his Ketone tests have been negative which is great news

My worry at the moment is that Prozinc seems to be working very slowly and he has not yet got into a good range (that we have recorded with home testing), it has now been 2 weeks on this insulin and I find that he's averaging from around 24 at peak to about 13mmol nadir (430 - 230).

The vet seems pretty unconcerned by his numbers and is saying a fructosamine test will give us a better picture if we continue as we are with the same dose.

Just wondering what peoples experiences are of prozinc, and if it is a bit slow and steady, or we need to be upping the doses?

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Looking at the world tab of your spreadsheet, it looks like you went ahead and increased to 2.75 today? I think increasing probably would have been the recommendation since it had been almost ten days on 2.5 units with no blues. Tagging @JanetNJ in case she has any advice/input.

3. AlexH

AlexH New Member

We did indeed bump him up to 2.75 but wondering if even that is enough. The vet wanted us to stay steady at 2.5 but I just think we're wasting our time and he seems so distressed (as are we, he is extremely vocal) with his hunger levels

JanetNJ likes this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Id do 3. I want to see some blues. Then tag is again in a few days so we can remember to check in on you. You don't want to hold an ineffective dose too long.

5. JanetNJ

Definitly raise. Go to 3. Increases by 0.5 are good until your start seeing blues.

6. AlexH

AlexH New Member

Thanks @JanetNJ and @Hshray for your great advice. We put him up to 3 and are already starting to see a few lower nadirs than normal which is great. Looking at his numbers I'm expecting we probably will have to go up to 3.5 eventually but for now holding this dose for a week to see where we are after that.

One thing I have noticed which seems fairly consistent is that he bounces pretty high after achieving low numbers, before levelling out at 20mmol / 370mg. A good example would be last night;

7pm (pre-shot) 18.8 / 338
    10pm - 13.7 / 247
    3am - 27.4 / 493
    7am (pre-shot) - back down to 21.6 / 389

I suppose my question is, is this normal? Does this ever start to level out?

7. JanetNJ

It's normal. Although numbers in the 200's are not low, they are not numbers he's used to. Hopefully it will level out soon. Hold this dose another day and then you can increase again. If the loss are still over 200 increase another 0.5.