? Prozinc Sensitive to Temperature Changes?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by BlackKitty03, Jun 28, 2022.

1. BlackKitty03

BlackKitty03 New Member

Hello. I'm new here and tried searching but, came up empty handed posting this thread because I'm getting conflicting information regarding Prozinc being left out? I accidentally out my fur buddy's insulin overnight for I'd say about 8 hours and the house temperature is 69 degrees now with outside temperature gone from 57 last night to 53 now. Some places say it's no longer any good because of the type insulin and some places say it will still be fine? I put it back in the fridge for now. Sorry to ask this question but, I wanted to confirm. Thank you in advance.

2. Lee Renfro

Lee Renfro Member

I've left it out a couple times for like 3 or 4 hrs with a house temp of 75° and it was just fine. Look to see that it hasn't separated, become flaky, chunks floating in it etc etc. If it still looks like it did, it's probably OK. Just come up with a system of making sure it goes back in the fridge after use. I asked my Vet the same thing. She said if it looks like normal then no harm. Just remember from now on. It can reduce its efficacy as heat breaks the insulin molecules apart.

BlackKitty03 and FrostD like this.
  3. BlackKitty03

BlackKitty03 New Member

Hello and thank you for the quick reply. That's great to know as I will definitely try not to do it again. I did look it over and it looks fine. I usually get about 45-50 days out of a vial anyways. Again thank you and take care.

Lee Renfro likes this.