ProZinc VS. PZI

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Libby and Sterling, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Libby and Sterling

Libby and Sterling New Member

I have a question about difference in PZI and ProZinc...Im switching over to ProZinc and not sure if I should use Sterling's current SS which I have pasted onto the bottom of this post. Of course it is a brand new bottle that my vet ordered for me and weary of using such high doses on an insulin I'm not familiar with. Any sugguestions? I have also copied and posted in the PZI Group :smile:

Sterling’s Sliding Scale PZI
    151-170 ---------------- 3.5
    171-200 ---------------- 4
    201-220 ---------------- 4.5
    221-290 ---------------- 5
    291-350 ---------------- 5.5
    351-410 ---------------- 6
    411-450 ---------------- 6.5
    451-500 ---------------- 7

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What "PZI" are you currently using? PZI is Protamine Zinc Insulin and there are many kinds. PZI Vet is made 90% bovine insulin and 10% porcine insulin. BCP PZI is made with 100% bovine insulin. ProZinc is made with 100% human recombinant insulin. There also is (or was) some other locally compounded PZI insulins made with bovine insulin and some with human recombinant insulin.

3. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Reading this study may help your worries:
    Preliminary Study of Protamine Zinc Recombinant Insulin for the Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus in Cats

50 cats on a 1:1 dosing switch from PZI Vet to ProZinc and things went well.

My experience [with much lower doses] with the switch went basically fine. But you do need to approach it as changing to a new insulin. That means testing - so make sure to have your supply of strips. Getting some mini-curves [at least] and watching closely and adjusting as needed. In our case things seemed to shift around a little during the first approximately month to month and a half, then seemed to smooth out after a while to be pretty much like to old PZI Vet. This could have been because H was getting used to the new insulin or it could have been the plethora of other factors going on with H. We are at a higher dose now than before but that trend actually started right before the switch and may be caused by other things. H has other things going on and it so hard to say what actually causes things to be different from day to day.

My only 'concern' is that your sliding scale looks pretty firm. Mine is not so firm like that but then again H has appetite issues that must always be factored into the equation. Our sliding scale is more of a moving average. I guess my point is that when you switch I would be prepared to be flexible with your sliding scale. And of course testing will let you know if you need to be adjusting to the changes. Also, I've actually let H's numbers ride a little higher than in the past during the switch so that I would have more safety zone.

If you want more details search the PZI group for ProZinc and there are a number f topics about it.

Also it looks like you were searching for sources. I've just created a ProZinc Sources List in the sticky at the top of the PZI group. Bottom line is that I found it for $80 + shipping. Basically, total price overnighted to ones doorstep should be MAX $95. Or one might get their vet or local pharmacy that dispenses pet meds to price match the $80 I found.

If you are interested I have my spreadsheet that you can look at as well if you think it will help you.

Hope this helps.

4. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Hi Libby!

If it makes you more comfortable, you can cut each rung of the scale by 0.5-1 u per shot for a couple days until you see how Sterling uses the ProZinc. I'm betting there won't be much of a difference in the end, but you don't need to be stressing over it, either!

How have you and Sterling been? Glad to see you here.

:YMHUG:

5. Libby and Sterling

Libby and Sterling New Member

Thank all of you for the fantastic advice...I havent been on for a while because Sterling is doing okay other than the expected bumps with the acromegaly...Carolynn...so good to hear from you...I hope that Fletcher is doing good...saw some posts that he has lost weight...so has Sterling and also lost some hair...going to take him in to see about hyperthyroid...those symptoms are definitely ringing a bell off in my head (also Phoebe suggested that's what it could be) well off to bed...it's gonna be a long day tomorrow at work. Thanks again : :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.