prozinc vs vetsulin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Jengilbert, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Jengilbert

Jengilbert New Member

Has anyone switched from prozinc to vetsulin? Does one work better than the other? I see they are both 12 hour intervals for shots. I am asking because prozinc is quite pricey and vetsulin would be more of a savings. I also do not want to compromise my cats health either. I will ask the vet but wanted to get your opinions as well. Thank you

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you haven't received responses yet, but I know you will. Perhaps take a look at the information on the Vetsulin forum and read through that, then read through the information on the Prozinc forum. It might help you make comparisons as to the harshness/gentleness of the two insulins and help you make that decision. They also might be able to point you in the direction of less expensive vendors for the Prozinc. Where are you located?

3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

What insulin is your cat currently using? Can you give us a little information about your cat's current treatment and history so we can help get you to some information that will be helpful?

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I went from vetsulin to ProZinc. The reason I switched was because my cat is at a high dose, and the vetsulin made her feel bad. She doesn't seem to feel bad from the ProZinc even at very high doses. I did use vetsulin with good results in the beginning. Many find vetsulin doesn't have as long a duration as ProZinc.
    If you are buying the ProZinc from your vet, consider ordering it from chewy.com. It's only $106.

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

From what I understand, vetsulin often doesn't have a 12 hour duration. I don't know for sure, but I think it's more like 10 hours. Prozinc usually has a 12-14 hour duration.

6. Sapphire Skye

Sapphire Skye Member

I am switching from Vetsulin to PZI. Safie diabetes is so out of control. Trying Pzi. click on her SS so you can see how she did on Vetsulin. Mosty Black and Red, very little pink.