ProZinc ≠ Wedgewood

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Gator & H (GA), May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Nimcewan, Kays8cats [& maybe FurballLover] in particular and maybe others,

It seems you may have been confused as to Wedgewood being ProZinc? I was wondering why it seems you were perchance confused? I would like to get down to the bottom of this hopefully. I even take a little objection if Wedgewood is advertising as "PZIR" because that is the same name ProZinc used during their efficacy trials. There was a link that Sarah had posted once to maybe a National Pet Pharmacy page??? that in my brain had some perhaps misleading language? She since deleted that link. Anyway I was wondering if there might be such a page to the Wedgewood?

Anyway, the trend is not good and I'd like to apply correcting measures if possible. Wedgewood in located in NJ and we all know about NJ ;-) [sorry if someone reads this and is actually from NJ - I'm just kidding]. Especially so, please post any links you have that Wedgewood may be using to promote it's insulin as "ProZinc" or "PZIR."

Further why does Wedgewood - some random compounding pharmacy - seem to get some seemingly significant business from some veterinarians?

2. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Hi,

I am not sure if you are saying that I am confused or not but I would prefer you ask me some more info before you label me as "confused" along with some others

My vet nor Wedgewood pharmacy said that it was prozinc, they just called it PZI U100 and I make sure in my info and posts that I always am clear and state that this is from Wedgewood Pharmacy and that it is confirmed to be U100 insulin . I double checked by calling the pharmacy and the vet.

As for the NJ thing, I was born and raised there and some of the vets I have worked for have used Wedgewood quite a bit for many different medications so from what I remember they have been around quite awhile and may not be just some random pharmacy.

Thanks

3. Gator & H (GA)

lol, I knew I was going to offend someone from NJ :smile:

Kays8cats, I was reading your post here:
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopi ... 26#p113426
    where you stated:
    "Went to vets to get new Proz. PZI U100 today at vets."

It seemed to me that you were perhaps confused as to ProZinc ["Proz"] and Wedgewood? I was wondering if there may have been something to lead you to mix the two up as you seem not alone in doing so?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a hard-ass, but just trying to get down to the bottom of things to prevent any further confusion.

4. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Thats ok I know how people from Cali are ;).... right back at cha'

That post was an error on my part awhile ago and I believe I have corrected myself many times as to avoid any confusion. Thats why I added it to my info above spreadsheet also.

I am NOT confused, but I may get there after all these posts.........

As we would say in NJ FOOOOGETT ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goodnight

5. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Gator--
    I can understand how it could be a little confusing to a newbie getting all the different forms of pzi straight (especially when you add in the discontinued versions). I know when I first came to the fdmb I was unaware that what we were using for C wasn't actually prozinc, but a compounded somewhat similar version. I think it is a good idea to make sure everyone is on the same page. After all, we can't really help the kitties unless its very clear what insulin is being used.

Here's my post on the topic on 4/21:

Hello all!
    Just returned from vaca last night, lots to do at work, but wanted to let you know about the pzi we used.

Joanna-yes we did use the compounded pzi from Wedgewood. It was compounded with Humulin N and came in u100 strength. Charlie did go otj on it. I think his fd was a result of diet, and since he was otherwise healthy and young, just about any help to his p was all he needed to go into remission (of course, coupled with a diet change to lc).

He was on it for just under 6mos, but we weren't hometesting until the very end (after his hypo).

It wouldn't be my first choice if C came out of remission, but I think it can work for some. Two things concern me about this particular brand--the fact that they use N in it, and the consistency. I think the mass-produced ones like prozinc might be more consistent, but that's just my 2 cents.

I pulled out the old vial that's still in the fridge. Here's exactly what the label says:

On the 'outer' container (like a pill bottle):
    Protamine Zinc Insulin *Susp 100 Units/ml 5ml Inj

On the vial itself:
    (there is a label with the company's logo and Wedgewood Pharmacy printed at the top)
    Protamine Zinc Insulin
    (PZI) 100u/ml
    5ml

On the back of the label on the vial; along with instructions not to shake, and keep refrigerated etc, it reads:
    Active Ingredient:
    Protamine Zinc Insulin

They do not seem to use the term ProZinc or PZIR.
    I know Wedgewood has a website, but I no longer have it bookmarked. I could look it up in our paperwork tues, if you like. Tonight, I will be catching up on work until 2am, so I can't do it right now.

Hope this helps!
    Jen

6. Gator & H (GA)

Hey Jen no biggie. I think you were a party to the topic when Sarah brought up the National Pet Pharm and I asked her to remove the link due to perhaps inaccurate depiction of the product. There seemed to be at least a couple misunderstandings of the insulin at hand and I wanted to know if there was anything *I* could do to alleviate/eliminate any misunderstanding [especially since we are dealing with U100 compounded vs U40 manufactured]. I remember the old National Pet Pharm link being perhaps misleading and was wondering if perhaps the Wedgewood was as equally misleading?

LOL, funny you broke out your old post, you knew I wasn't messin' around :lol:

I tried to *hint* in the sticky to compare bottles to the picture of ProZinc but I have now added explicit [yet somewhat buried] language as to "Wedgewood" so there would hopefully be no misunderstanding to any who hopefully read the sticky. Of course any input anyone has as to the sitckies is very welcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.