Publix Pate Cat Food Question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Can anyone answer my question. I received this in response to my question to Publix about their canned pate cat food. Does AF "as fed" mean wet food and the DM is the dry food? Also, are the carbs low enough to feed the wet food to diabetic cats. Looks like the carbs are very low in the wet food but I need confirmation. It also looks like the dry food is low enough in carbs. Just curious. My cat misses dry food and it would be nice to feed her some now and again. Especially for her teeth. Thank you.

Dear Ms. Devlin,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your question and allowing us the opportunity to serve you. We always enjoy hearing from our customers, and we appreciate the trust you have placed in us as your grocer of choice.

Here is the ingredient list, and the nutrition information per per 3oz can of the Publix Pate cat food.

Ingredient statement
    Chicken, water sufficient for processing, Animal Liver, Meat By-Products, Fish, Poultry By-Products, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Salt, Guar Gum, Potassium Chlorida, DL-methionine, added color, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid), taurine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), magnesium sulfate, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention).

Below are the percentages based on an as-fed (AF) percentage and then a dry matter basis (DM).

Moisture - 76.06% AF
    Protein - 11.69% AF, 48.84% DM
    Carbohydrates - 1.26% AF, 5.28% DM
    Fat - 8.56%, 35.77% DM
    ME 1180 kcal/kg or 98 kcal/3oz can

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Since they gave the fat, protein and carb content and the calories per can, one can easily calculate the % calories from carbs

4. JaxBenji

you're right. I was stuck on filling in the formula as I like for numbers to all align :p

@Summer and Susie I get ~3.75% carbs on AF and DMB.

5. Summer and Susie (GA)

My brain is not functioning well and I am horrible at math. Will look at Marje's information when I am clearer.

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks for that Susanne. Wonder if it is okay to give her a little of the dry food from time to time? I know it would help clean her teeth a little and she always did enjoy it.

7. JaxBenji

"Dry Matter" (DM) or "Dry Matter Basis" (DMB) are not % carbs for Publix dry food. It is % carbs for the wet food with the moisture removed so one can compare it to dry foods.

Hope that makes sense.

As for dry food and teeth, this article is an excellent read: https://littlebigcat.com/does-dry-food-clean-the-teeth/

For feeding dry food in general, you may want to read the sticky at a the top of this board - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...r-more-than-just-carbohydrate-content.175004/ and Dr. Pierson has a lot to say on the subject too - https://catinfo.org

8. Summer and Susie (GA)

Okay, thanks. I don't think I have seen any legitimate site that says dry food is okay for diabetic cats. Wish it were but I will not feed it. Too bad vets recommend it. Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking.

JaxBenji likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.