Pumpkin-not eating all of his food

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by KAC, Dec 19, 2020.

1. KAC

KAC Member

Pumpkin has started to not eat his food. Normally, he eats 1 and 3/4 cans of FF pate. I noticed in the last couple of days that he didn't scarf his dinner down quickly. He would eat half, leave it. Then, go back if I moved it around in the pan. But he would finish it.

He seems to want to eat, but he's not eating. He has eaten maybe 3/4 of one can this morning. I've prodded him to eat more. He licks it a lot and takes some bites. I noticed he is turning his head to the side sometimes when he takes a bite.

I think I read somewhere (here or other articles) that ACRO cats can have trouble with their mouth/teeth/soft tissue. Does anyone else have info or advice?
    Would adding water to his food help him eat it easier?
    He has already had his shot, but hasn't eaten enough? I'm going watch him closely today for a BG dive.

**He is behaving normally otherwise. Sweet, loving, wants to go outside on the porch despite the freezing temperatures and frost!!

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sadly, I only say that near the end with my MurrFee. I could not control his BGs well with 50U BID. I end up giving him say low-carb dry too.
    When is last time Pumpkin was at the vet and bloodwork done?

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat definitely has issues with teeth and has had to have several pulled, and several others resorbed. None of my cats eat a whole can in a sitting. Normally not even a half can at a time. They all graze.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Looks like you're ready for another increase.

It could be he's not as ravenous because of the better doses of insulin.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Our acros are often older cats, and like other sugar cats, it's not unusual for them to need a dental. Neko had one tooth pulled (FORL), some soft tissue growth in her gums that made a tooth rub on her gum, and later on, a bony growth on her jaw. That latter one came up quickly and was easy for me to feel. A visit to the vet might help you figure out what you are dealing with.

I hope today you can get some mid days tests in, looks like he's breaking a bounce.