PZI links

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Gator & H (GA), Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Yes to all three of the links that Gator provided, as well as to Joanna's ideas. Perhaps the link to the ProZinc page, just for ease of reference? That's found here: http://www.prozinc.us/

4. Gator & H (GA)

5. Sarah and Buzz

I've just been reading the thread over in Community about the "dosing advisors" so now my head is all wrapped up in legalities. I agree with having the conversion chart linked for ease of use, but do we need to be careful to note in the sticky that it's for U-100 syringes, etc.? I mean, it's obvious to us, but if a newbie comes in and doesn't know if they are using U-40 or U-100 syringes and tries to convert and....well, like I said, I'm all paranoid about mistakes and wrong advice now, so perhaps this isn't a concern. Slap me if necessary. ;)

6. Gator & H (GA)

Pet law is actually a field of law... anyway, pets are property and not worth much in dollars. This is why bad vets get to keep operating - they can't get sued to hell and back.

Now to the point of giving bad advice and having it have a bad or even tragic effect on a kitty is... well it would be a pretty awful thing for both parties.

Thanks for your input Sarah, I'll make sure to include some sort of warning in my final request to Rebecca.

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Yeah, maybe a good idea to just leave out the chart afterall. Without explanation, newbies might think they are *supposed* to change syringes for PZI, or who knows what. I was just trying to be lazy :) since whenever someone gets here I struggle to find the links again to share. Of course I could bookmark them, duh. Seems like a good spot for a "lazy" smilie... hmmmm.... I think we need a cat lying on its back all stretched out, but til I find that, how's this .. drinking09 (still not sure which direction that booze is going in! ;-) )

hey, and we need a cat coughing up a hairball too, that's a smilie MUST, IMHO!

8. Sarah and Buzz

Joanna and Bix wrote: Yeah, maybe a good idea to just leave out the chart afterall. Without explanation, newbies might think they are *supposed* to change syringes for PZI, or who knows what. I was just trying to be lazy :) since whenever someone gets here I struggle to find the links again to share. Of course I could bookmark them, duh. Seems like a good spot for a "lazy" smilie... hmmmm.... I think we need a cat lying on its back all stretched out, but til I find that, how's this .. drinking09 (still not sure which direction that booze is going in! ;-) )

hey, and we need a cat coughing up a hairball too, that's a smilie MUST, IMHO!

We definitely need a hairball cat! Life wouldn't be complete without those, would it? ;)

I actually made up a Feline Diabetes folder in my bookmarks, and I created sub-folders inside it. I have "Insulin", "Food and Supplies", "Medical/Health articles", "Tips and Tricks", and "Threads" (from FDMB). I am, in fact, anal. ;)

Gator, thanks for spearheading the PZI links topic. Everything that can be done to make our home more homey is always good. :)

9. Gator & H (GA)

OK this is what I propose for the sticky titled "PZI links reading and resources" [if this seems good then I'll send to Rebecca]:

Below are links with reading and resources for using PZI insulin with your diabetic kitty.

PZI info - Petdiabetes Wiki
    PZI info - FelineDiabetes.com
    PZI Source List - US, Canada & England
    Start Low, Go Slow approach
    Supplemental Techniques
    ProZincâ„¢ - manufacturer's web site

----------------------
    The below are ONLY for if you are currently using U-100 syringes or if you intend to use U-100 syringes with a U-40 strength insulin. U-100 syringes are not required for the use of PZI. However, if you feel up to getting the conversion correct 100% of the time, the use of U-100 syringes with U-40 insulin can allow for smaller, more consistent dosing gradients. If you are unsure which syringes you are currently using, U-100 syringes have an ORANGE cap - U-40 syringes have a RED cap. Make sure you know which type of syringe and what strength insulin you are using before you start dosing. Without the proper conversion, use of the wrong syringe with the wrong strength insulin can potentially result in putting your kitty into hypoglycemia or potentially even death. You have been warned: that said, many use U-100 syringes with U-40 PZI insulin successfully.
    Syringe conversion chart (U-40 and U-100) - print out and post somewhere obvious
    U-100 31 Gauge 3/10cc 5/16 inch Needle 1/2 Unit Markings (GNP Brand) syringes at hocks - example of what type and where to purchase.

10. Sarah and Buzz

I think those are great, and I really like the instructions/warning for the conversion chart links. Well done, Gator. :)

11. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Cool, thanks for putting this together Gator. I didn't know the syringe cap colors had meaning to them - nice (as long as you're not color blind I guess!).

I think if you put it in a new thread you can then report that to the Mod and request that it be stickied (if you haven't reported anything yet, the new board has a nice feature where you can type in a comment as to why you are reporting). You can probably still make edits too after that, if you end up having changes.

12. Gator & H (GA)

Yea, I already sent the PM to her and included it as "code" so it should be an easy copy and paste. We'll see how that goes. If she would like me to do anything else then I'll be happy to.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.