PZI-Merlin's new SS posted-Please give me advice how to treat Merlin

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Wendy 17 and Merlin, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Wendy 17 and Merlin

Wendy 17 and Merlin Member

I started entering data on Merlin's SS. There is much I am doing wrong. Please help me understand and what to do.
    I am physically overwhelmed. And everything is new to me. That is why timing and doses are so erratic. Why would my vet suggest I stop insulin for 2 weeks? To give me time to physically recover, or because it is in Merlin's best interest?
    Would another type of insulin be better in our case? Glargine?

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi Wendy. I think Glargine or Levimir are the best insulin’s for cats from what I’ve read. I’m sure some have success with PZI as well. I’ve only used Lantus. It’s gives a gentle onset and there’s often a carry over from one cycle to the next. Did your vet give you a choice or just give you PZI? I suggest that you take a look at the yellow stickies on the Lantus board and see what you think. Maybe look at some spreadsheets too. I had never had a diabetic cat before Max either but my sister and friends did. All they did was give two shots 12 hours apart and get a curve at the vet from time to time I never thought of home testing. Their cats were never regulated. The best shot at remission is when newly diagnosed so it’s good you are asking questions.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Hello Wendy! I will be happy to help.

I'm not really understanding your spreadsheet ... am I correct in understanding he's only gotten insulin a few times sporadically, and no blood testing has been done - just urine testing maybe? Do you have any numbers for us to work with? I have no idea why your vet would recommend stopping insulin for two weeks, that's not a good idea at all. Are you checking for ketones? Is that what the urine neg means?

I can't really help without numbers be assuming that Merlin is definitely diabetic, he needs to be on insulin consistently. Could you give me some background on Merlin?

Ah okay, I don't know what's going on with your spreadsheet but I finally was able to scroll down and see SOME numbers. I think the 0.25u dose is wise, if he drops below 90 again lower him to 0.10u, it's a verrrry small amount.

[​IMG]

This is for a U-100 syringe but it would be the same for U-40 syringes too.

A few things: how often are you feeding? Your signature says a little dry RC HP, which is high-carb ... kicking it will lower his insulin needs.

You could switch to glargine (Lantus) if you like, it's gold-standard.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((Wendy)))))))))) Its going to be ok. :bighug:

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Both Lantus and Prozinc are the insulins recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association. Prozinc is a good insulin!

Please look over the post on
    . It's easier to answer specific questions since I don't know where to start in order to offer some help.

Getting some additional tests would also be useful. Getting a pre-shot test and at least one additional test toward the middle of the 12-hour cycle. would be good.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020