Quantity of food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NancyJH, Apr 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NancyJH

NancyJH Member

I currently feed my cat twice a day before his shot. I want to give him a snack mid way between both shots. Right now I’ve been giving him 1/4 can of Fancy Feast. I know he’s hungry for more but my question is if I give him 1/2 or 3/4 can, will the extra food raise the number higher? Is the quantity of the food what determines the BG level?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Type of food has a big impact.
    When a cat is fed in the insulin dosing cycle has an impact.
    How active your cat is influences the BG level.
    If your cat is stressed influences the BG levels.
    If your cat has an infection or inflammation (UTI, bad teeth) influences the BG levels.
    If a cat is not eating well, can influence the BG levels.

Feeding your cat in the later half of the cycle, after +6 can make the BG levels shoot up faster in the later part of the cycle.
    What the duration of the insulin is in YOUR cat influences what the BG levels are.
    Lot's of factors. You need to test and determine what is happening in YOUR cat.
    "Know Thy Cat" as Jill would have said.

Do you have a spreadsheet? We have a standardized color coded spreadsheet (SS) with a template you copy. So you don't have to "reinvent the wheel". Setup instructions include screenshots, and setup for PC, tablet, smartphone.

Directions here. >>>>>>>>>>FDMB Spreadsheet Instructions
    What the cells mean is here. Understanding the Spreadsheet/Grid
    Great tool, for tracking how your cat is doing. You can even share the SS (spreadsheet) with your vet.

Some information in your User Id "Signature" will help us to help you better.
    Directions for that are here >>>>> Editing your Signature, Profile, and Preferences

How much is your cat eating a day? Does he need to gain weight, lose weight, or is he "just right" (aka ideal weight)?

TempestsMum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.