? Question about expiration

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by johnt, May 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnt

johnt Member

I've drastically reduced the dosing on my cat, from 9u every 12 hours to 3u every 12 (long story). he's doing great, but I'm wondering about the insulin.

it's getting harder and harder to draw it from the bottle and I'm seeing numbers in the 300's i don't expect.

I write down the date of first injection on each bottle. this one says 3/29.

Does that seem like it might be too far? The other question is, all the other brands of insulin I used in the past had a little seal at the top I had to break which i assumed sealed the bottle. but on Vetsulin there is no cap like that. could it be old stock I'm getting?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi John,

It may be that your insulin has lost potency.

Have there been any other changes in your kitty's circumstances? Health? Diet?
    And what exactly do you mean when you say, "it's getting harder and harder to draw it from the bottle..." ?

The Vetsulin manufacturer only tested the potency of the insulin for 42 days after opening, and for that reason the recommendation is to discard it after that time. Some folks here have found that their insulin can in fact remain potent for a number of months. Others have found that their insulin sparked out relatively early on. There seems to be some variability in this.

If you are getting higher numbers that could indicate that the insulin has lost potency.
    White floaties in the insulin are also a sign that the insulin needs to be replaced.

Regarding the lack of seal/cap, I'm going to tag another US member for you to see if she can advise, as she also uses Vetsulin.
    Janet @JanetNJ , is lack of seal/cap normal?

Eliz

3. Amanda and a Loudogg

Amanda and a Loudogg Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if my situation was the same, but before I got my last bottle of Vetsulin, I found it harder to draw up my doses. I also noted higher numbers for seemingly no reason. I thought it seemed like the problem drawing was due to less and less insulin left in the bottle. I can't say if other members have experienced the same issue. I originally replaced my vials every month to month and a half. This last time it had been 2 months. I generally go by when the numbers start increasing (indicating the bottle has lost it's efficacy) more than my open date.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  4. Amanda and a Loudogg

I also keep my vial in the middle of the refrigerator (in the wine bottle holder) instead of the top shelf or in the door. The insulin has seemed to last longer in the middle (better temp) versus the door.

5. johnt

johnt Member

Yes it's harder to pull the plunger back on the syringe when it's in the vial.

the only diet change is he's eating a little less than normal. if you review the charts i have there was two days he got no AM shot at all. I don't notice any floaties, but i do look each time I dose.

It sounds like i should just get a new one.

I made a special board so i could store the vials upright and not risk them falling over since I was told they shouldn't rest where the insulin touches the top rubber part. I know mine are held upright all the time.

I should try this. i have them stored in the door in the butter holder since there's a lid that folds down over it. maybe I should move them to the middle and on a shelf instead.

Thanks!

6. Amanda and a Loudogg

I started off with mine in there too!! It seemed like a safe enough place. I have a small dish that I keep mine in to keep it upright... the things we do, eh? Regardless, it wouldn't hurt to get a new vial at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.