Question about monitoring OTJ

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Djamila, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

My sugar cat finished his 14 day OTJ trial, but his numbers were still a touch high (mid- to high-90's), so I've continued to monitor him every other day (sorry, his spread sheet is not up to date, I'll do that in just a minute). I'm wondering if it matters WHEN i'm testing him? So far, it's always been at his usual pre-shot time (either AM or PM depending on the day). This evening would normally have been a test day, but I didn't get home and my neighbor came and fed him. I'm wondering if I should just make sure to wait two hours after he ate and go ahead and test, or just skip today since it's not urgent for him anyway. Is there any benefit to getting numbers in what would be mid-cycle (if he was getting insulin still)? Thoughts?

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  2. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Congratulations and welcome to the Honeymooner's Club! It's a great place to be! Sam's #'s in the 90's are great and are not high at all. Off insulin, I think it doesn't matter when you test or whether you need to test mid-cycle.

Some say to test weekly, others say monthly. I personally don't recommend testing once a month because anything can happen quickly in a cat. I test weekly but more often if I notice any changes in CJ's health, eating habits, litter box activity, etc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  3. Djamila

@Cat Ma Thanks for your response! I had been told to keep testing a bit longer since he was in the high 90's, but he's now down in the 70's-80's, so I was thinking to go to once/week. It's nice to hear that's okay.

4. Cat Ma

Cat Ma Well-Known Member

Sam is doing great. The normal glucose range for a cat off insulin is higher than what is shown on the SS in the green section (that is for a cat on insulin). With a human monitor, the current normal glucose range for a cat OTJ, I think, is approximately 50-130.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
    Djamila likes this.
  5. Robin&BB

Robin&BB Well-Known Member

Those numbers are marvelous, Djamila - I'm so happy for you and Samir! CONGRATULATIONS!
    Great work! Sam is jammin' ... officially OTJ! HOORAY!!!:D:cat::bighug:

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Spot checks around food +2 are a good way to keep an eye on how his pancreas is doing.
    Thirst and increased urination may be your 1st clues if his glucose starts rising - he'll drink more and you'll have more wet litter. And if you see those yet get normal glucose tests, it may indicate another issue is brewing and a vet check is needed (bladder infection, hyperthyoidism, and renal disease should be ruled out).

MaineLove and Robin&BB like this.
  7. Djamila

Thank you all so much! He is one month OTJ as of yesterday. Keeping my fingers crossed that the trend continues!

granadilla, Cat Ma and Robin&BB like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.