Question about what time to start dosing?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SidneysMom, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

We have another appointment tomorrow to see if Sid's fever has gone down tomorrow at 11am. Our appointments usually last about a half an hour to 45 minutes. Vet told me to bring insulin tomorrow, but the other vet in the practice (he's not there tomorrow) we saw the other day said don't start him at such a late time If 10 works, fine, but not 11pm.
    So...do we let the vet give the first dose tomorrow at 11? I am worried because I don't want to start Sid's first dose in the evening if we do the ten pm schedule, because we can't test him overnight.
    I do want my husband there with me the first times testing and dosing so I don't mind doing ten start since he works from 1pm-10-pm tomorrow and Friday, and is off the weekend so we can really get the testing thing going.
    But that means waiting yet ANOTHER day to start, which is driving me crazy. *sigh*

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

You need to pick the time that is going to work for you both AM and PM. There is no reason the vet has to give the dose. If he is wanting to show you how, he can use saline solution.

3. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

I guess that's true. I'm a bit worried about monitoring the first day. How did you guys sleep that first night?

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

You'll be fine! It takes a few cycles for the depot to build with Lantus, so don't feel like the first shot is going to blow things up or anything. You won't have to monitor all night. I know you've had several posts, but I don't know if there's been any discussion yet about when you should test. If not, maybe you should post on the Lantus forum. There are a lot of experienced folks there who can recommend to you what your testing schedule should be.

I won't lie though, managing this, especially in the early days, does impact your sleep. Just one of the sacrifices we make for these sweet babies.

5. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

When I was starting to home test for bg on Simba, Simba was GREAT!, but I wasn't. In younger years he had wrestled with Gustav and gotten a wrinkled cauliflower ear, so the only left ear was out of the question to take bg from, and we had to backpaw test. So the first time when I had to do it ... after having tried to get blood for entire 7 times and failing failing, I was almost crying for Simba, hurting him and I decided to stop try for that day and was ready to turn myself in to a police station for animal abuse.

But out from that first time try fails came success and luckily for Simba I got the hang if it. And slept calmer.

Patty & Teal'c and SidneysMom like this.
  6. SidneysMom

SidneysMom Member

Wait, am I supposed to take from the left ear or right? I took from the right ear.

7. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Whatever works.
    A refresher.

And if you have no luck at all with the ear, some people use the paw pad. My brain is mush after a long day. I cannot think who it is who does at the moment.

SidneysMom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.