Question?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harrisar, Dec 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

My Cat has diabetes since the summer, my question is he has a large lump on his back right leg, vet thinks it could be cancer, but when they sent the fluids to be tested and it came back negative, but they want to do surgery to find out if its really cancer or an infection. I am having mixed feelings on it as it could cost between $2000 to $4000, as I cannot afford that, and part of me wants to tell them to just drain the rest of the fluid in his leg. I am also not ready to put him down.

As he seems to be his normal self, but the past couple of days he hasn't been eating normally as he had to be sedated both yesterday and today to try and drain the fluid from the leg but the vet had confirmed that his diabetes is improving (so ya for that). Has anyone experienced this? and could this lump be a reaction to the diabetes or the insulin? Or is it still cancer that maybe not showing up in the results from the liquid being drained? As like said I can't afford the surgery.

Any thoughts would be apricated. And sorry for the log post and possible bad grammar.

Thank you;

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  3. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

How large is the lump? Can you post a picture? Some fatty lumps are just that. Seems like a rather high quote for surgery to remove.

Critter Mom and Nan & Amber (GA) like this.
  5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing...

6. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Attached is the pic.

Attached Files:

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Poor guy. That is large. :( I've only dealt with much smaller ones in my fur crew.

8. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

I know, that was the price the vet gave, as if i got the surgery this week it wouldn't be with his actual vet as the vet I take him to will be closed most days over christmas and new years. It would be at another place were they would be open during the holidays.

9. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Ya, he was at the vet yesterday and today trying to drain it as much as they could.

10. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Oh sweety pie :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

11. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Just what were the results of the analysis? Who performed the analysis?

12. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

All they told me was that they had sent the liquids off to another lab where they ran the liquid, and the person who ran it said it didn't show cancer, and they said it was fine, but the vet said she was arguing with them saying she thinks it is cancer. But because there are conflicting between the vet and the person who did the test, she doesn't know what is causing the lump. That's were the surgery comes in, as she wants to send him to another place to do the surgery other than the vet because the vet he goes to is smallish and will have limited hours or closed this week and next due to Christmas and New Years. And that was where the 2000-4000 cost will come in.

13. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Before surgery I would get a second opinion of what to do from another vet. I think it wouod be worth it compared to the cost of surgery. To me it seems that a vet should be able to say more about what is causing the lump. Have x-rays been taken?

14. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My cat had a lump on her leg this past summer... It burst and bled. We had it removed the next day and learned it was cancerous, but thank goodness it seems to not have spread.

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Right now I can't afford to do the surgery, they never did xrays and they said their utra sound machine is broken. The vet will be calling me back on Monday, so I will be asking more information.

16. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

That's good to hear about your cat.

17. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

I just want to thank everyone for answering my questions in regards to the lump and his diabetes, but unfortunately my cat stopped eating over Christmas and his health ended up getting worse fast, and I ended up having to put him down today.

18. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Oh no! :( I am so sorry to hear of your loss. :bighug:

Mogs

Harrisar likes this.
  19. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

Thank you

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Sigh... I am so sorry. It's so hard when they decline rapidly like that. Even though you knew something was wrong, there's just never time to prepare yourself for losing them like that.

Critter Mom and Harrisar like this.
  21. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

I know, it sucks.

22. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Harrisar likes this.
  23. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Harrisar likes this.
  24. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

thank you

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Harrisar

Harrisar New Member

thank you

26. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, fly high sweet boy ♥♥:bighug:cat_wings>o

27. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Oh , I’m so sorry to hear about you boy. It’s so hard to lose one of our fur critters...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.