questions about wet food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cwc-7, Nov 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwc-7

cwc-7 New Member

Hi
    My daughters cat Smokey was diagnosed mid July and we have been giving him insulin (lantus) since then. We use a Lantus pen and he is currently at 3 units in the morning and 3 at night. I am currently feeding him Purina DM wet and dry on the advise of the vet. I would love to switch to wet but also have another non-diabetic cat and can not afford the wet DM diet for both. I have supplemented with the brand Tiki Cat but that is also quite expensive. Anyone have any suggestions for a good wet food that is less expensive?
    thanks in advance. christine

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Most of us feed plain old Fancy Feast Classics or Friskies pates. They are both under 10% carbs and fine for diabetic cats.

The DM is actually too high in carbs for a diabetic and the ingredients are lousy. If you compare the ingredients in the DM and the Fancy Feast, you'll see there's actually better ingredients in the FF (despite lots of people thinking it's trash food)

Paigeworthy likes this.
  3. LexaJoy

LexaJoy Member

I have one diabetic kitty and two non, and they all eat FF and Friskies now. It's a manageable price for us even with three kitties eating the wet food, since the cans generally end up sitting around .45 apiece at the local grocery store and/or Wal-Mart (depending on where we shop).

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  4. cwc-7

cwc-7 New Member

thanks, appreciate the response. Interesting also that the food the vet and the one that is recommended for diabetic cats is too high in carbs. How do i find out how high the carbs, or what the percentage of carbs are in DM?

5. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

There is this list

To add, medium carb is in the range of 11 to 13% carbs or so.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  6. Vtambo & Rex

Vtambo & Rex Member

I feed Whole Earth Farms. I have gotten it for less than a dollar a can from Petco and one of the local pet stores in my area. I believe it is a division of Merrick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.