Quick question about ingredients of the canned food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Liang & Nathan, May 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Hello all,

I plan to buy some low-carbs canned food to see if Nathan likes them.

I was recommended the Fancy feast classic, Friskies pates or 9-Lives canned food. However, when I checked the ingredients, the first ingredient of most 9lives-meaty pate canned food is meat by-product, and the first ingredient of most FRISKIES - Classic Pates canned food is also meat by-product.

Only fancy fest classic canned food seems to have some good ingredient.

So when we select the canned food for surgar cat, we need to look the % of calories from carbohydrate.

But shouldn't we also need to look the ingredients to make sure it uses decent meal/material?

Any advice is welcome.

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Using meat byproducts in addition to muscle meat is how foods like friskies and fancy feast are able to be high protein/low carb and still relatively cheap. Many people here follow the nutrition guidance of Dr. Lisa Pierson and she has a section on her website about byproducts in cat food. This is a snippet from it:

“...... I would much rather see a cat eat an all-by-product canned food than any dry food. My preference would be to see muscle meat (“chicken,” “turkey,” etcera) as well as some by-products since that would mimic nature. Again, cats eat ‘by-products’ as part of their natural diet and who are we to say that we can omit liver, spleen, kidneys, etc., from a cat’s diet and not have them experience a potential deficiency?”

At the end of the day, the choice about whether you want to feed byproducts is up to you. There are plenty of low carb options that do not include byproducts, they will be just a little more pricey :cat:

3. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you very much. I am ok with meat by-product as the 3rd or 4th ingredient, but not comfortable as the first ingredient. So I will probobly try the fancy feast classic pate canned food first.

Thank you.

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes go for FF I think it’s the better of the 3 you mentioned :cat:

5. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you. I just checked my stockpile of canned food and compared them to the food chart.

I currently have the following: Blue freedom indoor fish. blue freedom indoor chicken, blue healthy gourmet beef pate, blue healthy gourmet chicken pate, pro plan savor beef carrots classic, pro plan savor chunky chicken, pro plan true nature beef giblets, nature's variety instinct beef, weruva cats in the kitchen lamb burgini.

They all have good muscle meat with low carbs. But Nathan just shows little interest to them. Anyway I will buy some fancy feast classic canned and see how he likes.

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Have you looked at this cat food list for products under 10% carbs? It's a little out of date, but the majority of products you can buy in the US are listed there. I wanted to feed food without by products too, and there are lots of options listed there. I ended up feeding raw food, which usually has some organ meats included. Maybe try some turkey flavours?

7. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Yes, it is the food chart I use. Very useful and wonderful work.

8. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Weruva lamb burgini I believe is high carbohydrates . If you can trade it in for Weruva chicken licked paws ( looks like shredded chicken ) or Fowl ball Turkey/Chicken there are more Weruva flavors that are low carb to .

9. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Thank you. The food chart says 8% of carbohydrates. I will double check.

10. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

11. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

You are right I was thinking of a different flavor sorry about that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.