Quick question regarding BG ranges.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Reesespieces, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Reesespieces

Reesespieces New Member

For a cat who is on lantus what would a ballpark be for ideal pre meal BG readings?
    What is too low to give a shot?

Cat in question is on 4units lantus but his readings with the relion have been 90-110 Pre-shot. He will be going to the vet in a few days. * I’ve tested myself and also get a 30mg variation in BG results so I know the meter may not be entirely accurate. Any ideas?

(* EDIT SIGNATURE IS NOT UPDATED. I don’t have a log as I’m his occasional cat sitter and his owners aren’t able to get his BG as easily as I am. He freaks out pretty easily. They don’t keep a log :/)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Reason for edit: Letting you know signature is old
  2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi there, why does the spreadsheet have the dates of 11-13 and 11-14? We are in Oct
    You also said Cole get 4 units of Lantus but the spreadsheet says 1 unit?

I know you are only the cat sitter but Cole really needs to be tested during each 12 hour cycle to see how the insulin is/working and how low his BG is dropping.
    God forbid he goes hypo.
    His owners really need to be testing him if they want to keep him safe

4 units is a lot to be on, is that 2 units twice a day?
    There is a dosing method when you are using lantus
    I will give you the link to read about it. Since Cole is on dry food only you will have to follow SLGS I will tell you a little bit about SLGS below

There really is not enough data on the SS to see how Cole has been doing
    I am going to tag a few members to give you some advice on what the no shoot number would be

@tiffmaxee

@Sienne and Gabby (GA)

@Chris & China (GA)

@Wendy&Neko
    Thank you ladies :cat:

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

The variation is normal - all meters have about 20% variance.

Without knowing how low that takes him during the cycle, it’s hard to say. With Lantus, dosing is based on nadir (usually 5-7 hours after the shot) rather than preshot numbers.

Personally I would go with a more conservative dose - maybe half? - if I were pet setting someone else’s cat and not with them the entire day. But I am NOT an expert.

This spreadsheet data is a year old. The poster has mentioned they are the cat sitter, so if they only visit this site when they are doing this job, it’s possible they don’t keep the signature updated.

6. Reesespieces

Reesespieces New Member

Hello this is correct: the spreadsheet is one I started the last time I was sitting for cole. His dose was only 1 unit at that time.
    The owners don’t test him regularly and he has since been moved to 4 units lantus twice a day by the vet. However due the blood glucose numbers I’ve been getting from him during this sit ; I’ve withheld insulin once, lowered the dose a few times and am now just switching to 2units twice a day. This is all with the owners permission. They have scheduled a vet visit upon their return (the 17th). I’ve been monitoring him for 10 days now.

Librarianista likes this.
  7. Reesespieces

Reesespieces New Member

I’m going to read this. I will definitely suggest to the owners but they won’t be able to get his sugar each time. They did use a sensor which was implanted in his back but it wasn’t working very well. This info will be useful for me to know anyway. I visit 2x a day; 7am and 7pm.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks for letting me know, I didn't even realize that :banghead:

9. Librarianista

Librarianista Member

I would also just like to say that you are an awesome pet sitter. Cole seems to be in really excellent hands if you joined this forum for him.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.