Rabies vaccines

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa dvm, Oct 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Alex1313 likes this.
  2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Does a cat with FIV make any antibodies with a rabies vaccine?

3. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

Yes, unless they are completely immunoincompetent in which case they would either be dead or exhibiting other problems.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

OK. Thanks.

I've been caring for 3 cats in my condo complex's garage. Got them all spayed and vaccinated, but wasn't sure about rounding them up next summer for repeats. Mamacita and Bits both tested FIV+. Mamacita will let me pick her up; the juveniles, not at all, though they'll eat near my feet and skitter away if I move too much or lean towards them.

I can't bring them in to my place as I'm overcrowded with 14 cats and a housemate. And I'm not sure it would be good for the juveniles to be confined into a condo after having roaming options.

5. Lisa dvm

Lisa dvm Member

I certainly never round up ferals for repeats so I'm not sure if you want to go that route with these outdoor cats but then it all depends on their chance of biting someone.

6. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

They'd likely run first, not stick around to bite, given a choice.

This is my first experience with nearly wild cats. If I don't need to round them up for annual vaccines, that's fine by me.

They will play with a long wand toy (actually, a lunging whip - its really sturdy and they like to jump to catch it).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.