Really high numbers for Lou

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by NicoleC46237, Mar 16, 2020.

1. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

I'm not sure what is going on with Lou's numbers. There has been no change in his food other than he's not eating as much as he was in the beginning - he doesn't seem to be "starving" anymore but he's still eating a as much as the other 2 cats. Not drinking as much as before but all of the sudden he's getting huge black numbers.....His +6 numbers have been in the 200s so maybe I should bump him back up .25?

Would someone take a look please? TIA

(Posted on main board as well)

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Blacks = bouncing. So do those reds.
    Lou hasn't been down in the greens, at least not that you have caught with a test, for more than a week.
    He's only been dropping down to the middle blues at nadir.
    I'd bump him back up by 0.25U to 2.25U again.

From the new Prozinc SLGS protocol:
    "If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25U.

Any chance of a curve again soon? You mentioned doing a curve in the Remarks section for 3/12/20.
    Are you able to feed him some regular low carb food at mid-cycle? A teaspoon or so. That food would bring up the BG numbers a bit when he drops into the greens. It could slow the bounce if you're able to do that feeding.

Juls and Billy likes this.
  3. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

He eats every day at +6 am and pm. My work schedule threw off the chance of a curve this weekend but I am going to try to do one this evening when I work. I was waiting to bump back up until I could do a curve even though I really felt like he needed a bump back up.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Kind of a catch-22 situation. You know that Lou needs a dose increase, but you're putting off the increase. So that is holding Lou in those higher black, red and pink ranges

You can get some more random tests in the cycle. If your schedule doesn't permit you to do a full curve.

5. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

If I know he needs an adjustment and I'm with him enough to do other tests but not full curves I should be ok to go ahead and adjust right?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Yes, you should be able to go ahead and give Lou an increase, even if you have not been able to do a curve test.
    As long as you have the time and enough test strips to monitor.

A +2 can be really helpful, to tell you what direction the BG level is headed.
    The +2 is like an "early warning" for most cats!
    If the +2 is about the same as the PS, it's usually a pretty normal cycle...dropping down to nadir and then rising back up again.
    If the +2 is higher than the PS, that usually signals a bounce, and those are the cycles when you can usually take a break from testing.
    If the +2 is lower than the PS, that's your "Early warning" that kitty might be going much lower later in the cycle so it's important to plan on getting another test or two (or 6) in.

It doesn’t work every time or with every cat. But it does hold true most of the time, so keep this in mind for next time.

p.s. Hope everything is well with you Nicole, during this virus outbreak.

7. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

Good info to keep in mind! When i don't work overnight i tend to go to bed at hours +2 at night but if I work I crash as soon as i shoot him in the mornings. My schedule changes so much it makes it crazy to plan.... but I should be on a normal person schedule after tonight for almost 2 weeks so that will be helpful to try get him balanced a little better..... until he changes again lol

We're doing ok. My son is bummed about school being shut down early but we're working with it. Luckily i keep supplies and food stocked well normally so we're not scrambling like some others are. Hopefully you and yours are doing well and staying healthy too!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Is there such a thing these days? Normal? What's that?!?!?:woot::p

NicoleC46237 likes this.
  9. Deb & Wink

I see a green yesterday and then a reduction.
    Lou is bouncing now. Please come back off the trampoline Lou sweetie!

NicoleC46237 likes this.
  10. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

He had another low today leading to another reduction. He needs to find another hobby!!

Deb & Wink likes this.
  11. Deb & Wink

He came down off that high really fast!

If you are able to feed him, around +2 and maybe +4, that could stop the really steep drops and the bouncing.

p.s. Love the ducks on Community thread.

12. NicoleC46237

NicoleC46237 Member

He had food available the entire time. I gave him fresh at +6 but he still had wet food and was munching on it throughout the morning.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  13. Deb & Wink

In that case, get those mid-cycle tests whenever you can, because Lou dives down really steeply.