Recommendations for Travel

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BalRavens726, May 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalRavens726

BalRavens726 New Member

Hey!

I’m a new member here and have been excited about finding this community and appreciative of Everyone who commented on my last post.

So, just thinking ahead, I have a remote job so I’m home all day but I am taking night classes in law school and sometimes travel. My girlfriend also lives about 20 minutes away and comes to me most of the time because I haven’t wanted to leave the diabetic kitty alone at night.

My question is kind of vague but I’m wondering what the best options are if I went out at night or am in law school at night.

1. Should I hire a pet sitter to check on him if I’m away for 4-ish hours or have you all had success being away that long?
    2. When traveling somewhere overnight would you bring him? Have you all had success leaving your diabetic cat overnight?

He has had diabetes for a couple years so he’s on a pretty regular schedule with insulin and food and pretty stable - I realize this may be a case by case basis just wondering in general what everyone does!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Its been a loooong time since I had a diabetic kitty but I remember working and juggling insulin shots and work. I think it depends on how confident you are with your regimen and your kitties history with insulin. We never experienced a hypo. We just got into a groove ad stuck to it.

3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Lots of people will check blood sugar before leaving for work and determine what kind of food to leave out to keep kitty safe (ie make higher carb food available if they're running low). I've never had a problem leaving my girl for 4-6 hours as long as I kept her feeder set.

I have brought kitty with me before overnight to keep an eye on her, though a lot of people just have someone come over and check on them (test blood sugar, offer food) as well.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, I’d definitely have someone, i.e. a petsitter come in for the overnights especially because someone needs to give her the am shot right? Unless you mean you would be gone for the evening but back in time for the morning shot. A few hours is okay. I worked full time before covid19 and was gone from 8-5.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.