? Recurring remission?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by shelaghc, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

I posted a version of these questions in the main kitty health forum, but thought I'd try here too:

Took a BG reading on Jester around noon today. No insulin since Friday AM (and that was a mistake because his BG was under 150) and he was at 130 at least 2 hours after eating.

(This would be his second apparent remission in less than six months, with his diagnosis at the end of June. Previous time was while going regularly to the vet back around mid to late August.)

Nearly all the food he's been eating have been medium carb ( about 14 -15) and he eats around two cans or so a day, although he still needs to be encouraged to some extent.

The last time his BG was over 150 was 12-6. Before that, his numbers were mostly blue and yellow (with one purple) since 11-29-2017, when I reduced his dosage from 2U to 1U.

Have others experienced this kind of BG bouncing?

How long OTJ until we actually call it a legitimate remission?

2. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, they can lose remission and have to go back on the juice again. Bubba is on his 4 time on the juice.......

It's not considered a remission until they can go 14 off of insulin and have their BG's be that of a normal cat 80-120 mostly under 100 with a human meter.

Have you considered switching to a lower carb ( under 10% carbs) to help bring the numbers down? If you do that, do it on a day where you can monitor closely as you will likely see his numbers drop.

3. shelaghc

shelaghc Well-Known Member

Hi @Bobbie And Bubba
    Actually Jester's unofficial OTJ time was only a couple of days and his numbers never went lower than 130 IIRC.
    Jester is a persnickety boy and getting him to eat low carbs is pretty miserable.
    It can take a half hour of encouraging, re-heating, moving it around on the plate, and following him around the dining room just to get 1/4 can of low carb pate in him. But he'll chomp down almost half a can and more of medium carb food in the same amount of time. (No, Fortiflora doesn't make a difference.)

Plus his weight is scary low (he was 12.5 a year before he was diagnosed and was 9 at his last vet visit). The vet doesn't seem to think he'll gain that back, but I refuse to give up that easily.

My mission right now is to get as much food into him as I can everyday and get his weight back up at least to 11.

His numbers aren't scary high for the most part so I'm chilling right now.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.