(Relative) Newbies - Sugarbaby Nìco ⬆️ numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Emily Tuomey, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Gonna take a +7 shortly. I’ll get it posted as soon as I can. <<fingers crossed (but I’m not holding my breath)>>

2. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Attached Files:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

OK... PINKS are better then black and red!

4. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

I’LL TAKE IT!!! We need more pink!! Should I do one more read prior to his PMPS?

5. JanetNJ

up to you but I doubt it will go any lower. You could wait until PMPS unless you are curious.

6. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Oh I don’t anticipate it going lower, just curious as to how quickly he runs through his cycle. Like, does he hit 600+ at +10 or +11. But, I’ll probably just leave him alone, unless he “asks” ;)

7. JanetNJ

lol Well you can certainly test if you are curious. hahaha

8. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

We’ve got it down pat now hahahaha!

9. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

10. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

This just in: Nico has gained almost 1.5lb since his diagnosis (he is/was significantly underweight, so we are keeping an active tally for him) on the 26th (Oct), and nearly 2.5lb since he was taken to urgent care on the 1st (Oct)— YAY NICO!!!!

Attached Files:

11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Em, I think you want to fast track the dose increases again. I'd suggest going up to 2.5U for the next shot.

Those black BG numbers are scary high.
    The good thing is, the 2U did bring the lovely weight gaining Nico down into the pink BG ranges. So you are seeing some progress on the insulin being given to him.

jt and trouble (GA) and JanetNJ like this.
  12. JanetNJ

I agree. I'd like to see what 2.5 does. I was going to suggest this tomorrow.

13. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

he’s due at 7ish, and you can see he doesn’t feel great. 2.5u tonight??

14. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

I’d like to give 2.5u tonight. He’s 600+HI again.. honestly he was there an hour ago and I didn’t even need to test him then, you can see it.:(:(:( Dinner now.

I’d like to keep a careful, watchful eye on him overnight. He’s acting totally fine— but I HATE those black numbers. I’d give anything to keep him out of the black for even one day...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
    Reason for edit: Update.
    jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  15. JanetNJ

Yes

16. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Done. (And actually I’m a little shaken up about it tonight for some reason. I guess I feel really alone atm.)

17. jt and trouble (GA)

How are you and Nico doing this morning?

Deb & Wink likes this.
  18. JanetNJ

You aren't alone

19. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Tired. Like that gross you get when you’ve “been on an airplane for 20+ hours and are dealing with a time change in addition” kind of tired.. His numbers aren’t where I was wanting them to be after his am dose, so hopefully his mid test will be better. Fingers crossed. Still trying to work out what I’m gonna tell his vet when we need a refill much, much sooner than should be (if I had stayed at 1.0u BID like she told me to). Any advice there?
    Thank you. I’m just tired. Illness fatigue. <— definitely a very real thing.

20. JanetNJ

Order it through chewy.com. $102. Great price.

21. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

That’s how I ordered it before, but won’t my vet have to approve it? She’s gonna be like “no way you went through a vial 2-3x quicker than you should have at 1.0u BID.” Right? I have no idea what I’m gonna say. I gotta figure out how to sucker her into upping his “dose” this week. hmm....

(I also didn’t get the Alphatrak I was told to use.. whoops! Hahaha) What do others say to their vets? Maybe someone else has posted about it.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  22. JanetNJ

Does your vial have refills on it?

23. jt and trouble (GA)

The only advice I can give is level with the vet. Let them know you intend to be a HANDS on client. Youve done a LOT of research on the subject and are getting a better hand on this disease than you thought possible.
    THAT? or lie and say you broke the bottle. Make sure they know how much it stunk up your house. :p

I would go with the first option Just let them know how you feel. If they buck you then its time to find a new vet. :oops:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  24. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

I don’t think so. Probably because the vet wasn’t confident Prozinc would work and we may change to Lantus instead. Just my guess.
    Hahaha thank you. I’ll just throw her resources back at her, and considering she sent me here then she should listen. I hope! Could also blame a few furshots as well ;)

I’m also reading about too much insulin too soon can cause 500+ numbers... what are your thoughts on that, team?? So far his SS is looking dismal :(

Deb & Wink likes this.
  25. JanetNJ

In your case the dose is NOT too high. Just haven't found the breakthrough dose yet.

26. jt and trouble (GA)

Im not qualified to give dosing advice. I would be inclined to raise the dose. But dont go by me.

Janet is right.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  27. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

^^ THANK YOU FOR THIS. It just was seeming to me like his numbers were better earlier on, and I haven’t really seen many folks post on being pretty consistently in the black to begin with; I feel like it’s maybe me, and I’m doing something wrong. Will test again at +6 or +7 just to see how he looks mid. The difference between his morning tests weren’t terribly optimistic, but maybe I tested too close together [because I’m anxious as all holy get out!]..?

Just worried about my guy is all. When he hurts we all hurt

28. JanetNJ

You took this mornings test an hour later. It doesn't usually even start working for 2-3 hours.

29. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Good to know. So a +1 or even +2 isn’t really valuable at all atm. I’ll try to remind myself of that. Sometimes I feel like I have to test though. For me. I’m trying to work through that as well...

30. JanetNJ

4-7 are more valuable times.

31. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

Okay. I’ll try to get a couple of those in the next few days. I intended to get a +7 last night, but I guess I slept through that alarm; just too tired, I suppose.

32. JanetNJ

Dont wake yourself up. Get a before bed and call it a day. You'll just drive yourself crazy.

33. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

34. jt and trouble (GA)

35. Deb & Wink

Fantastic! Awesome! Amazing! Nico got down into the yellow BG ranges!!!!!!

Em, would you start a new thread please and link this old one in at the top. This thread has gone to 2 pages, and it gets easy to miss things when there are so many replies.

Thanks.

p.s. What was the AM dose for 11/15/20? I think you missed inputting it on your SS is why I'm asking.

Emily Tuomey likes this.
  36. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

I did haha, but I just fixed it prior to opening this page lol 2.5u

How do I link this to a new post?

37. Deb & Wink

Start your new thread. Then open another window on your computer, and copy the link to your old thread by clicking on it. That would be that long string of characters you see at the top of the screen, that starts with https://felinediabetes.com and continues from there. The entire string should be highlighted in blue. Hit the CTRL and C keys at the same time. So it's now copied into your clipboard, a little saved area. Now go back to your new thread, and paste that into the new thread. (CtrL V is the keyboard shortcut)

38. Emily Tuomey

Emily Tuomey Member

I think I did. Did it work? Let me know

39. JanetNJ

That's great news

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.