Relion Micro jumped 300 points in one day

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mialia, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mialia

mialia Member

I've tried to read every thread I can find so as not to waste anyone's time but I got nothing.

So I just bought the Relion Micro and tested my newly diabetic boy last night. He's been on insulin and low/no carb diet for a month now. Last night he tested at 47. I panicked and gave him some temptations I still had from his healthy days. I couldn't retest him as he was PISSED about test one. I tested myself, too, and it read 85. (My dad is diabetic so I get tested every so often and come back negative, so this sounds about right).

So the first test was after his dinner.

Tonight I decided to test him predinner. He hates hates hates the poking. Wiggles his ears, paws at them before I can get to the blood, etc.. it has brought me to tears more than once. He suffers enough! So he tested at 355. did I really give him that many tempations? Holy moly! I retested myself. 87.

So much to his chagrin I tested him again, using the same spot as it was still bleeding. It read 555. Now I'm not worried about that, given it was after his first test, after my test, and blood that was sitting there but still.

I'm going to calibrate against my roommates diabetic kit when she gets home, she has been type I since 12, but still wanted to run it by the class here. I was almost happy about the low initial reading, thinking he'd be one I could control with diet alone. But the second reading ruined that.

He is so hard to test. He hates it! He's always had sensitive ears and his trust in me means everything and his little bloodied ears from the last two days is killing me. I'm flailing here.

2. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

First welcome! Second.. don’t panic. Individual numbers only give a partial picture. The only way to know what is truly happening is to test regularly and see what how he trends. At a minimum you should get a pre-shot test both in the morning (AMPS) and in the evening (PMPS). And also try to get one per cycle close to the middle (between 4-7 hours after shot). The idea is to see how high he goes at shot time and also how low he goes at nadir. Those numbers can vary a lot and may not be consistent until you dial in the right insulin dose.

47 is considered below the take action number, which is 50 on a human meter, so good job giving him temptations to help prop him up, but in that situation it is critical that you test 15-20 minutes later to make sure the carbs do the trick to bring him up. Please read the stickies that talk about the hypo tool kit and how to handle testing when you see low numbers, so you can keep your kitty safe: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hypo-links-be-prepared-just-in-case.48385/

The high numbers you’re seeing today are likely the result of a bounce from the low numbers yesterday, but without seeing how his numbers “normally” trend, its impossible to tell. You didn’t say what kind or how much insulin he’s getting but he definitely should get a dose reduction after that low last night. However, before anyone gives you dosing advice would you please set up and fill in a spreadsheet and add it to your signature so we can how he’s been doing? Instructions for the spreadsheet are here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

As far as testing... I will let others do the advising on that as Spot has always been fairly easy. If you do a search there is lots of advice on how to make the experience more positive for your kitty. All of this gets easier with time and experience. Just breathe :cat:

Kathleen Einwich likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Are you able to tell us a bit about your kitty.
    What insulin and dose is your boy on.
    If you could set up your signature which is at the top right of the page under your user name. Put in your and kitty’s names and how old. Type and dose of insulin, name of meter, food you give and any other illnesses. Then save. This will stop us asking you every time to tell us about your kitty.
    Also if you could set up the spreadsheet. I am on my mobile at the moment so can’t give you the link. This will help us help you.
    Ok..... the 47 is low and I’m glad you gave him some temptations. 50 is the take action number on the human meter. The 47 has also given him a reduction in dose of 0.25 units.
    The 355 is probably because he is bouncing from the low number yesterday.
    Do you test before every insulin shot and about half way through each cycle to see how low the insulin is taking him? Keep asking questions and if you can get the SS and signature done that would be great
    Bron

SpotsMom likes this.
  4. mialia

mialia Member

Thank you! Wow. Ok I had a few things in the hypo kit like syrup and syringe and high carb treats/food but the rest I don't. I'll get on that. I've updated my signature and created a spreadsheet. I'll put the data from today and yesterday in. I seriously don't know how I'll test him daily. He's really tough. And the attached is a picture of his ear after day one. My heart is breaking. I am not rich but is having regular vet tests an option? He ran away from me for the first time ever today.

Thank for for the advice AND being so sweet about setting up my signature and spreadsheet. In my nervousness I didn't bother reading what I should do first. Fear is no fun. He's my boy! He's my bestest friend. And I know he's getting older but he's still out there having fun and I want that to last as long as possible.

Attached Files:

5. mialia

mialia Member

I've updated my signature and have the spreadsheet. It's only got two tests so far. In the last comment, I uploaded a picture of his ear after only one day of testing. I don't know that I can do this.

He's on Vetsulin, 2mL twice a day per meal. I gave him his dose tonight before I read your stuff and he seemed sluggish. I gave him more temptations even though I didn't test him. I know it's not the best answer but as a daughter of a diabetic, a former (very short timed) EMT, and roomie of a diabetic, I know high is better than low. Especially since I'm about to go to bed and can't watch him. I'll reduce his dose tomorrow.

6. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Here's something I wrote up for others for testing...maybe it'll help you too!

It can be really helpful to establish a routine with testing. Pick one spot that you want your "testing spot" to be (I like the kitchen counter because it's got good light and it's at a good height....it also already blocked 2 escape routes due to the wall and the backsplash) It can be anywhere though...a rug on the floor, a table, a particular spot on the couch...wherever is good for you.

Take him there as many times a day as you can and just give his ears a quick rub and then he gets a yummy (low carb) treat.Most cats aren't objecting so much with the poking..it's the fooling with their ears they don't like, but once they're desensitized to it and learn to associate a certain place with the treats, they usually start to come when they're called! Or even when they hear us opening the test kit!

You also have to remember...you're not poking him to hurt him...you're testing him to keep him safe and understand what's going on inside his body. There's just nothing better than truly understanding what's going on inside your kitty's body and with this disease, the more knowledge you have, the more power you have against it. The edges of the ears have very few pain receptors, so it really doesn't hurt them. Also, if you're nervous and tense, it's going to make your kitty nervous and tense too. As silly as it might seem, try singing! It forces you to use a different part of your brain!

It's also important to make sure his ear is warm. A small sock filled with a little rice and microwaved or a small pill bottle filled with warm water (check temp against your wrist like you would a baby bottle) works well

For new kitties, using a heavier gauge lancet is also really helpful. A 25-28 gauge lancet pokes a bigger "hole" than a 31-33 gauge lancet does, so look for "Alternate Site testing" lancets that are usually a lower number

Finding the right "treat" will be a great help too! Freeze dried chicken, bonito flakes, little pieces of baked chicken...whatever low carb treat you can find that he really enjoys will help him to associate the testing with the treat! China's Achilles heel was baked chicken, so I'd bake a piece, chop it into bite sized pieces, put some in the refrigerator and freeze the rest to use as needed. It didn't take long for her to come any time I picked up the meter!

There are more testing tips here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

Kathleen Einwich likes this.
  7. mialia

mialia Member

Thank you. I'm crying now, you all have been so nice and generous, especially given that I didn't read the rules before posting. It's been a tough month and your support is so meaningful. He was diagnosed 2 days before I left for a month of training for work. I was hesitating on getting a roommate but knew I had to, and had a great woman (the type I) who was interested. She jumped on board and even took him to his first appointments and started giving him his shots. I was able to come home on weekends (I travel for a living anyway, so having any pet that needs regular treatment is a nightmare. She's my angel.) Then he started getting stronger, the neuropathy was fading fast, he's gaining weight and really regained energy. I ordered a blood test kit more for curiosity than anything and then bam, first test 47.

I know pets aren't good for someone who travels for a living, but I had a stable relationship for ten years with these fuzzers. Then the ex decided that I should live the stereotypical come home and find him with someone else (literally) and "You need to move out so she can move in, and she's allergic to cats so you get all four). To be honest, I wanted all four. But it's not easy!!! And they are all elderly so it's going to get harder. With people like you and my roommate though, I'll make it and keeps these fluffy ones healthy as long as possible.

Thank you. <3 I will follow all of your advice and get the hypo kit finished. I started playing with his ears tonight. He's good about it and knowing it's not pain so much as annoyance eases my heart some. Luckily he was a feral, and as such, any treat is favorite treat. Thank you again.

Chris & China (GA) likes this.
  8. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

We've all been where you are before and someone took us by the hand and taught us what we needed to learn.

We're just paying it forward!!

Soon, you'll be welcoming a newbie and telling them that you did it and they can too!

9. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

What Chris said is 100% true! Spot is coming up on his one year (!!!) anniversary so I was very recently in your shoes. It really does get easier. And the knowledgeable and supportive members of this board go a long way in making that happen!

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you test Carbon before you go to bed? If you think he is low and you can’t test, leave him out some food to eat later on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.