Remission?

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Henry's human, Jun 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henry's human

Henry's human Member

I am not sure if Henry is in remission or not. He has not had insulin in 19 days. He's extremely happy and is eating well. I am not sure if I should keep testing him twice a day - I actually only did it once today. I was thinking of skipping tomorrow, but I am not sure if I should. Any advice would be welcomed (I just updated his spreadsheet) :)

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Glad Henry's feeling so good. I don't know about remission, I'll tag @Chris & China to advise you.

Henry's human likes this.
  3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If he has tested between 40-150 mg/dL without insulin for 2 weeks, he is officially Off The Juice!!!
    Congratulations!!!
    Back off the testing gradually. A key time to test is about 2 hours after eating, when the glucose is most likely to peak.

Be aware of the Secondary Monitoring Tools which will alert you to a need to test - increases in food and water intake and output, dehydration checks, and weight loss (check at least monthly - as cats get older, several conditions may cause weight loss).

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Henry is in about as good a remission as we can get!!

Congratulations!!

Tips to stay OTJ

We say a cat is in remission if the cat can maintain BG levels for 14 days between 40-120 with most of that spent under 100. However, please keep in mind that once a diabetic always a diabetic.

1. Never feed dry - not even treats. If you change wet food types, be 100% sure the new food is also low carb and same low carb % as your current food. Some cats are very carb sensitive and an increase from 3-6% to 8-10% can spike the BG’s. Don’t feed if you aren’t sure!
    2. Weigh every 2 weeks to 1 month to watch for weight changes. Too much of a weight gain can cause loss of remission.
    3. Measure blood once a week, indefinitely. You want to catch a relapse quickly.
    4. No steroids or oral meds with sugar - remind your vet whenever giving you any medication. Always double check.
    5. Monitor food intake, peeing and drinking. If increasing, a sign of losing remission.
    6. Regular vet checks for infection such as dental , ear or UTI. And get them treated quick!

If he/she does fall out of remission you need to be more aggressive and resolve issues/ back on insulin as soon as possible as the window for a second remission is tight if any.

5. Henry's human

Henry's human Member

Thank you :) I wasn't sure if we should celebrate or not.
    Thank you for the tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.