Remission?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Camcat, Jan 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camcat

Camcat Member

Hi All. My darling kitty was having bouncing issues last weekend - thanks to everyone who helped. I've been monitoring her blood sugar all week and it might be too soon to tell, but it's been coming down each day. This morning, her bg was 209 so I didn't shoot. Came home at +4 to check on her and it's 251! This is about the same range as when I get her a shot. Could this be remission? I'll keep testing. Is she at a higher risk for ketones without the insulin? She's never had ketones and is eating like a champ. Waiting for the Precision Xtra I ordered to come in.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Are you going with the SLGS dosage?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Reason for edit: Removed incorrect info
    Camcat likes this.
  3. Camcat

Camcat Member

I'm doing SLGS.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  4. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint you, but no you are nowhere near remission. Insulin dose needs to gradually go down the scale, 1.5, 1.25, 1, 0.75, 0.5, 0.25, 0.1, 1 drop. You have a long way to go, but your SS does show Cam dropping down from those high black and red BG numbers and spending more time in the pink and yellow numbers.

That is very encouraging! Good work!

I see notes in the Remarks section and else where on the SS that say you are feeding Hill's W/d? Wet or dry? Notes on the SS would be very helpful to let us know if that is the wet or dry. Is that correct or are you using the M/d? W/d dry is very high carb (37%). But your signature says M/d. Confusing.

Is your cat Cam overweight? Is that why you are feeding the M/d and or the W/d?

Jennifer R. and Camcat like this.
  5. Camcat

Camcat Member

Hi, yes Cam is overweight. I am feeding her a mix of M/D wet food (w/d on the SS is a typo!) and Fancy Feast classic (since I've recently been reading on here that M/D wetfood is fairly high in carbs, I'm just using down the stock I have). She does not get dry food anymore.

6. Deb & Wink

Good for you on getting Cam off the dry food! Congratulations on that! With some cats it can be very difficult to get them to eat the wet food.

The Hill's M/d canned (wet) food is around 13% carbs. Some cats are more carb sensitive than other cats. So, if you can get her to eat the lower carb (4-6%) Fancy Feast (FF) only, that should help. I know the M/d was expensive and you want to use up the stock you have, but that is not the best option for Cam. Maybe keep several of cans in reserve, for when you need to feed some medium carb food as Cam drops really, really low, <40 mg/dl human meter. Although, just a teaspoon of the FF could be enough to bring the BG levels back to a safer level.

If Cam is willing to eat the Fancy Feast pates only, the Hill's foods have a money back guarantee. You can take it back to the vet and get a refund for the unused amount. Tell them that your cat stopped eating it.

The good thing about the Fancy Feast pate style foods is that they come in so many different flavors. It's good to have some choices, in case your cat gets picky about eating. That single flavor of the canned M/d is one of the drawbacks, since some cats here have eaten it for a while and then stopped.

You test a lot which can be helpful. Not required, but helpful. With the amount of testing you are doing, you should be able to see what eliminating the M/d wet food in Cam's diet does to the BG numbers. Hopefully, that will help to get Cam closer to remission and allow you to decrease the dose.

The second thing you need to concentrate on is getting Cam to lose weight. I know how difficult that can be, and that weight loss needs to be done slowly. Has your vet told you what they think an ideal weight would be for Cam? You say she is petite, so less than the 10 pounds she currently weighs I'm guessing would be better for her. Just don't know how much she needs to lose. I have a petite kitty and she is 7.5 pounds. But ECID, Every Cat Is Different and what may be right for my cat, my not be right for your cat.

Weight loss can help immensely in getting the diabetes better regulated and then remission if that is possible for Cam.

Please let me know if there is anything I said that you don't understand or need clarification with.

P.s. Looks to me like you already fixed your SS where it said W/d. I'm a horrible typist myself and have to correct spelling and such all the time.

Jennifer R. and Camcat like this.
  7. Camcat

Camcat Member

Thank you so much for the info! It is very helpful. I'll see if I can take back some of the m/d cans to the vet. I'm lucky in that Cam will usually eat just about anything. Over the course of the past few days, I've been feeding Cam less m/d, and more FF, and I'm def. noticing a difference already. The reason I was testing so much is because of the scare I had last weekend with her bouncing (first time I'd ever seen it, and I did not know what was happening at first), and I've been kinda terrified every since (and a bit of a basket case!). I'm trying to ween myself off so much testing, and give the sweet girl a break.

We are aiming for about 8 lbs for her weight. Now that I'm testing more frequently, I think it'll be much easier to focus on the weight loss. I've been worried to mess with her feeding in case it reduced her bg too low.

I just read Wink Wink's profile. What a beautiful story <3<3<3<3<3 I am so happy Wink Wink has a wonderful, healthy, happy home and has been in such good care.

Thank you again for the info. Hope you and all your fur babies have a wonderful night.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Glad some of that information was helpful. Sounds like your petite girl will be more the size of my Dancer when she gets down to a better weight.

You don't see many profiles around like the link in my signature. More people used to do them back 8 years ago when I first joined. It can be a lot of work, but I enjoyed doing it and can read back through it and remember how horribly he was doing at the shelter. I'm glad I fostered and then adopted him. I do miss him, since he needed to be euthanized due to his severe heart problems. When you see that GA at the end in someone's user name, that means guardian angel or gone ahead. Some of us only put that in our signatures. It's a way of honoring our kitties that have pre-deceased us. We just hug them differently now, with our hearts and memories.

9. Camcat

Camcat Member

I am so very sorry. :bighug:cat_wings>o:rb_icon: He was a very special kitty, and you gave him a wonderful home and so much love. We are so blessed for the time we have with these fur babies. The profile is a wonderful way to honor him. <3

Jennifer R. likes this.
  10. Deb & Wink

Thank you. He's been gone almost 3 years but I think of him alot and will always treasure those memories and thinking of him still makes me laugh. He was a curmudgeon and real character.

He is one of the reasons I'm here on the message board, helping people as other people helped me.

Enough about me. How is Cam doing this morning?

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just an FYI... TR (Tight Regulation) is a dosing protocol that is applicable to Lantus and Levemir only. So, by default, since you are a Prozinc user, you are using SLGS. I'm not sure why @Jennifer R. raised that question.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  12. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Sorry, I wasn't aware of the details

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.