Requesting dosing feedback

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ReneeM787, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReneeM787

ReneeM787 Member

I understand that when you are raising the doseage, the rule is to go .25 units at a time and stay there for at least 6 cycles. I'm REDUCING doseage because Peaches seems to be going into remission with treatment of her hypothyroidism. Since she began levothyroxine on 7/11/20 2 x a day, decreased the amount on 7/23/20 to 1 x a day.

For background, she was hyperthyroid years ago and had radiation treatment. This made her hypOthyroid. She was treated with levothyroxine up until a move and several months of chaos in 2019 when she had to stay with a relative. When they stopped giving her the pill, the new local vet concluded it was ok. After several months, she showed the unmistakable signs of diabetes in Feburary, and, as you can see from her spreadsheet, her BG was through the roof. It was unresponsive to 3 types of insulin and (based on what I've learned here), we raised her doses way too fast and didn't address her diet first.

We've changed vets again, and (aside from a failed Freestyle Libre installation) I'm pleased with her. Since she's been put back on levothyroxine, it has been possible to lower her doseage dramatically. Now, she is at a point where I'm not sure she needs insulin at all. I reduced her dose to .5 units recently because her pre-shot levels have gradually been coming down and there have been some uncomfortably low nadirs. This evening I decreased to .25 units because she was dangerously low today.

Please look at her spreadsheet and offer your thoughts. The vet was great at putting her back on levothyroxine, but she doesn't seem very understanding of these scary lows. Everyone's thoughts will help me prepare for a conversation with her next week.

Thanks.

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

It certainly looks like Peaches is needing less insulin. You did the right thing reducing the dose. I’m not a Prozinc user so I’ll tag @Deb & Wink for you.
    Keep testing during both cycles to catch those drops.

With your signature... are you able to change the colour of the type to black please as it’s hard to see when it’s in with the SS. thanks

3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Peaches has earned multiple dose reductions. When you reduce the dose, you need to hold those dose reductions for 7 days if you are using the Prozinc SLGS protocol.

For now, please do not increase the dose any higher than the 0.25U that you reduced to on 8/8/20. I'd recommend a +2 test this evening, 8/8/20.

Looks to me like Peaches is trying very hard to go OTJ. Next step would be 0.1U.
    Here is our Sticky PROZINC DOSING METHODS.

It's not only dose INCREASES where you change the dose by 0.25U increments, but dose reductions too.

p.s. I love homemade peach ice cream. No room in my freezer to make and store any! So will simply have to enjoy your cat Peaches instead! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.