Results are in....

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Shelly and Spaceman, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

Feeburt is an Acro Cat. So I will be checking in here every now and then. I have read the stickies and am learning as much as I can about Acro. Coincidentally, I just finished taking Anatomy and Physiology I and II. I understand how the cells have receptor sites and certain hormones fit into them to create a reaction like opening door to let in or let out nutrients and waste. It kind of sucks that he has it but I am now free to be more aggressive in treating diabetic symptoms. So instead of being mad at his pancreas, I am actually on the same team. We're working together!
    If you guys have any suggestions in treating Feeburt please share. It's good to know I am not in this boat alone.

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club that no one wants to join!

Dr. Lunn at Colorado State Univ has a study going for Acro-cats.

If you can afford it, stereotactic radiation has proven very successful for some of our acro-kitties here. (also by Dr. Lunn at CSU)

3. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Hi Shelly! Sorry it took me so long to see this and reply. Like you said, now that you know he's a very special kind of kitty, you can be more aggressive with the dosing. Your goal is blues, not all greens, because with a working pancreas that can be too risky. You'll also find that if he does start to go low, you may need to give him HC with Karo mixed in-- because food in an acrocat with a working pancreas can lower the bgs instead of raising them.

Definitely read what's here, but also sign up for catacromegaly.com and read/post there, too.

Also, it's a requirement to post the pic of Feeburt with his sock monkey! That just cracks me up it's so cute!

And you are definitely not alone... (((((hugs))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.