RUMPELTEAZER @ 79 AMPS !!! HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by misty1477, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

Rumpelteazer's BG at AMPS is 79 !!!

See her SS and my posts in PZI.

She looks okay....she (and the rest of my zoo) are all looking for their breakfast.

Thanks!!!

2. misty1477

BG = 100 @ 20 minutes after AMPS (first test).

Okay to feed & shoot????

Vet upped dose yesterday from 1u to 1.5u......How much should I do NOW?????

3. misty1477

Called vet....spoke to 'vet assistant' (vet not in until 10:30AM).

Told me to feed .... do not shoot .... test her around Noon.

She left message for vet about my call.

4. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was late getting up, Misty.

On your thread last night I expressed concern about your vet increasing the dose by so much when she was doing well and just adjusting to the insulin and diet. The scary part of your amps is that if she was that low in the am, how low did she go overnight?

Yes, just skip today completely and tonight I hope you will consider going back to the one unit. I am more cautious than Carl. I might could have gone along with 1.25 IF you were going to monitor and at least get +6. As Carl said in your other thread, if you don't get the midcycle number, you never know how low she is going - or how well the dose is working.

5. misty1477

Good Morning Sleepy Head.... :lol:

I updated SS with results and notes from Vet visits/curves on 3-5/6 and 3-12. Did you see my updates?

I know we are just looking at "ranges" as opposed to "specific" numbers. But when I saw the 79 this morning....I freaked !!!! ohmygod_smile ohmygod_smile

Her 'ranges' never had a number that low.

Vet increased dose to 1.5 yesterday because kitty was "....still high." I am losing my flippin' mind !!!!!!!!! @-) :roll: <<<banging hand against head>>>

Vet said I don't/shouldn't test so much during the day...only AMPS & PMPS. Said her ears were kind of red.....I was thinking "whatever, ms.vet". I bet if Rumpelteazer was a black cat you would not even know that her ears were poked at all.

6. Sue and Oliver (GA)

IMHO, two things the vet didn't consider when saying the numbers were too high. One, your kitty was bound to be stressed yesterday. Strange people poking her, other animals around and no Mommy! Stress raises bg levels - in some cats, more than 100 points. That's why we don't like curves at the vet. The numbers tend to be much higher than curves at home. Then doses based on those stress induced numbers are too high once you get home. Which looks like it is exactly what happened.

Two, it is very early in this sugar dance. Throwing insulin at the cat is a broad brush approach and can be dangerous. We like a start low and go slow approach, giving time for the diet to work. If we increase, it is usually by .25 units and only after you have the data. Your vet discounting +6 numbers is dangerous. Read through Carl's post on yesterday's thread. He explains why you have to look at the midcycle numbers if you are considering a increase.

I know it is hard to get contradictory advice from people on the Internet. But we live and breathe FD. And thousands of cats have become regulated or gone into remission using the start low, go slow protocol with wet food. Most vets only see a few FD patients a year and are, frankly, unable to keep up on what works with FD cats. She is your cat and you are her best advocate. You have to decide how to treat her.

7. misty1477

It is after 11:00....no call back from vet yet. cat(2)_steam I am going to test her myself at noon.

Jeepers Cats....if I don't get off this laptop and do something around this house.....I am gonna scream !!!! LOL LOL

8. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning Misty!

Oh what a beautiful number that 79 is! I know it's scary too! I just wanted to jump in and give you a BIG hug - good work!

9. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The AlpahTrak generally runs 30 points higher than human meters so that will account for some of the difference. But if you look at your spreadsheet, your midcycle numbers were never in the 300s so stress had to play a part.

I meant that your vet saying you only needed to get preshot numbers is missing a huge part of the necessary picture - the midcycle number which tells you how low the insulin takes her. If you just look at preshot numbers, it is a dangerous way to dose. (Say she is in the 300s at preshot and then 65 at midcycle and 300 at pmps. If you are only looking at the preshot 300 numbers, you might think you need to increase the dose. But the 65 at midcycle tells you the dose is in fact working and she may be bouncing from that lower number. ) You were doing a great job getting midcyle numbers; I was concerned that your vet said you didn't need that data but to just get preshot number.

The 79 this am is a definite sign that the dose last night was too high.

10. The 79 this morning was a beautiful number to wake up to. And not shooting even after seeing the 100 was a great decision.

I am not sure that I agree completely that the 79 was proof that the dose was too high, and I'll try to dig out another "Dr. Lisa post" to explain why I feel that way.

But right now, I would withhold any insulin until he goes over 200.

Carl

11. misty1477

79 was a good number????? It scared the crap out of me!!! I keep wondering how low it went overnight nailbite_smile

It is a little past Noon....I will test her now and post results.

12. Misty,
    Yes 79 is perfect. And nobody knows if she went lower than that overnight. That may have been the "low" point. The 100 says it now rising. To me, all a 79 says for sure is "no shot for breakfast today".

Carl

13. misty1477

BG = 146

No shot since 1.5 @ about 7:30PM 3-12-13. Ate FF around 8:15AM-8:30AM today.

Did not want her treat after test I just took....usually has a teeny-weeny bite of FF as treat & chomps it right down.

ohmygod_smile What is going on ???? Is all of this craziness today normal or okay???? confused_cat confused_cat confused_cat

IM(not so)HO....I think she (and I) was doing better before the vet got involved yesterday!!!! cat(2)_steam

14. misty1477

Carl....I think I am losing my mind. :roll:

So.....the higher dose is better for her? I just tested her at +4 .... when should I poke again?

15. "Normal" is kind of a hard word to associate with feline diabetes :lol:
    But "okay"? Yes, I think this is all okay. Just interesting.
    I'm thinking no shot until tonight unless you want to disrupt your current shot schedule. Hope you'll hear back from the vet and find out what they have to say.
    Carl

16. misty1477

Thank You....I think :smile: It really did scare me. So low....so fast !!! :roll:

17. misty1477

I will test again at +8 then do PMPS. Will anyone be around between 7:00-7:30 tonight? I will need to know what to do if numbers don't make sense to me. I hope I can do her shot at 7:30PM (if she needs one) so I can get her back on the 7:30-7:30 schedule.

Not holding my breath for a call-back from the vet. :roll: I may be wrong, but it seems to me like she does not have the 'time' in her schedule to deal with me. Maybe I am just paranoid or something.

18. I'm working 2 till 10 today but will try to check in around 7-ish.
    Carl

What time zone are you in?

19. The information I alluded to earlier.

What we would call last night/this morning's cycle is a "downward slant", where you started at one point and ended up on a lower number (much lower) this morning at AMPS.

There was a lengthy discussion about this at the end of 2011, with Lori and Copper, and Dr. Pierson posted several times in the thread.
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=58953 It's very long, but worth reading. I've read it dozens of times since then, and it's where most of my "advising" logic comes from. I agree with just about everything that Dr. Lisa said in it.

So I really don't mind seeing a slant instead of a curve. What matters, to me, is the numbers and them being in low and normal BG range. If the 79 happens at +12, I don't care. It's a 79. It's "normal" BG. You just have to adjust how you manage this, schedule shots accordingly, and hope for numbers under the renal threshold for as many hours in a 24 hour period as possible. No, that is not the "FDMB" way. You can shoot a certain dose every 12 hours and see what happens, and adjust your treatment accordingly. This is just "another way" to do things. It isn't "better" or "worse". It's just different.

Carl

20. misty1477

WOW Carl....lots of info there!!

The main thing I am concerned about is .... when it is time for her 7:30PM shot....how much do I give her? I know it will depend on how her numbers look at +8 and then at PMPS. I will do the PMPS at 7:00 so I can post it when you will be here.

Thanks for your help.

21. It completely depends on what sort of number she shows you at PMPS. If it's not over 200, then "no shot" is my thinking.

It could be 1u, 1.25u, or 1.5u. It will depend on what you are okay with, and how much you would be able to test after the shot if necessary.

Carl

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

When you see low pre-shot numbers, you need to know if that is a rising or falling number.

Without feeding, wait 15-20 minutes or so and retest. If the number is rising without food being given, it is often safe to shoot.

With PZI type insulins which do not have carry-over, you may, if being cautious (I am), reduce a dose based on the preshot number. Since you're still getting data on how he responds, if he is under 200 at tonight's shot time AND rising, I'd be more likely to go back to 1 unit or even 0.5 units IF the glucose level was rising. And I might check before bed, just to be sure he wasn't heading to hypo. Who knows - between diet change and insulin, his pancreas may be sputtering a bit and trying to work.

If, on the other hand, he is up in the 400s, I might lean towards the 1.5 units.

And in the 300s, I might compromise between the 2 doses and aim for 1.25 units.

As you get more data, you will learn how he responds, be able to see it on the spreadsheet, and have a better sense of what will work for him.

23. misty1477

179 at +8

Did not want her treat.

24. misty1477

271 at 7:00PM

Number has gone up. Over 200 now....she should get shot at 7:30PM. I am not sure how much..if any..she should get. confused_cat

If she gets a shot, I could try to test her an hour or two (???) after.....if I don't fall asleep. I have been trying to get to sleep by 8:00 ... 8:30 has been more like it lately. I do 24 hours on 4 hours sleep every day. I wish I could get her scheduled....so I wouldn't worry about her so much.

BTW....Vet NEVER called me back. cat(2)_steam cat(2)_steam cat(2)_steam cat(2)_steam

25. If you arent able to test later then go with caution. I think 1 unit makes sense on that number.
    Carl

26. If you arent able to test later then go with caution. I think 1 unit makes sense on that number.
    Carl

27. misty1477

I will feed & give 1u now. By the time they all eat & I clean up their dishes it will going for 8:00. I will try another test then. Will that be good?

28. misty1477

Tested at 8:14PM

BG = 317

Hope this is okay.

29. Hi Misty,
    Yes that's fine. What you see there is the normal increase after eating, as the carbs start to show up in her BG before the insulin will start to bring them down. That usually doesn't start happening until 2-3 hours after the shot.

Looks good to me,
    Carl

30. misty1477

Cool....as is well then....thank you so much ! G'night. I-)

31. misty1477

Updated SS .... I guess I will move back to posting in PZI now.

See Ya There!!!

QUESTION: Is there a way to 'move' or 'show' links to this Post under my PZI stuff? Also, what is 'condo' and how does it work and/or link to my PZI ?

SORRY....I AM IN PZI......DUHHHH. A little craziness around here today.

32. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Misty, did you give one unit this morning on a 131? If so, please get a test at +2 and +4 to see whether she is headed down. I think yesterday's number may have been confusing, but we would not want you to shoot at 131. We'd want you to wait until she is closer to 200.

Not to scare you, but it is possible that she could go too low today.

33. misty1477

Yes, I gave her 1 unit this morning. I will check her again at +2 and +4. She really ate a lot this morning. One of the kittys barfed real bad during the feed-frenzy....don't know which one :roll: :roll: I do NOT think it was Rumpelteazer though.

Yesterday...She went over to the cases of FF and was looking at them.....GOOD GRIEF......was she trying to figure out how to open the cans ?????? :lol: :lol:

34. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Do you know what to do if she goes down in the 50s? First feed a little bit of wet low carb and check in 20 minutes. If she is still headed down, below 40, give her a little of the higher carb. If lower, syrup. You can always go on Health and ask for advice.

I figure if I give you the info, then you won't have to use it. :D But I am a little worried. We don't know if the 131 was a rising or falling number. She is reacting well to the insulin and the numbers are changing fast.

35. misty1477

Sue....

She is 76 @ +2

Thank you for the "what to do" info....good to have it right here.

Rumpel's poor ears.

36. Sue and Oliver (GA)

That is a low number for +2. She still has 4 hours to drop and not a whole long way to go.

Please get a +3.

I will be gone today and not be able to help after this next hour. If she gets down to 50, go on Health and ask for advice. Explain that you are on ProZinc and gave one unit at 131 and that she is dropping fast.

She could surprise us and surf along about 50 the whole cycle, which would be wonderful. But if she continues to drop, you are going to need to monitor carefully and intervene with food and perhaps syrup.

37. misty1477

Will do a +3.

Hope someone will be around just in case. I will keep your info handy in case things don't go well. nailbite_smile nailbite_smile

This is driving me looney-tunes. I wish my damn vet was more helpful....she never called me back yesterday. I am not even going to attempt to reach her today....I have had it with her.....time for a new vet I think. cat(2)_steam cat(2)_steam

If it wasn't for all of you here, I would not have any help/advice on what to do.

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You might steer the drop by offering a teaspoon of high or medium carb gravy or food mixed with a few drops of Karo.

I'll keep this page open to see your updates.

39. misty1477

Almost time for the +3 ..... brb

40. misty1477

O M G !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

37 @ +3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Purring and seems happy. walking looks okay. laying down on floor by my chair now.

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Okay. Syrup rubbed on her gums. Test again in 20 minutes. The syrup won't last long so you need to retest.

I would suggest you post on Health with a 911 icon so you have a few people following you.

42. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

OK

Just saw your updated spreadsheet.

Feed 1-2 teaspoons of high carb (or low carb plus Karo/honey/watever you have).
    Wait 15 minutes and retest.

43. misty1477

Had Caro Syrup....daughter must have 'borrowed' it !!! GONE!!

Will pancake syrup work?
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

44. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Pancake syrup should work.

Also, you can take plain sugar, add some hot water and stir till dissolved, then add some to food.

How many test strips do you have?

Just to make sure you have the info:
    How to treat HYPOS

45. misty1477

I have tons of strips...just bought box of 100 the other day... YAY

Won't eat food with syrup.....I put syrup on her gums....ended up all over her mouth :YMSIGH:

Test again in 15 minutes....yes????

46. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

compromise: feed a teaspoon of food, use oral syringe to get in some syrup.

Yes, test again in 15 minutes. We want the numbers to get up around 80-100 and stay there.

Do you have any high carb gravied foods? You can use gravy and/or syrup.

47. misty1477

she just over and started to groom her brother.....they groom each all the time. good sign...maybe???

48. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Remember that glucometers are allowed to vary as much as 20% from a true lab value, and that you are using a human glucometer on a cat.

a test of 37 is between 29.6 and 44.4
    a test of 76 is between 60.8 and 91.2

Also, some cats don't show symptoms until really low.

49. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Yes, the second part of this is watching behavior. If she would act strange - like howling or acting like she can't see - you need to take some syrup and head to the ER.

I am leaving now but will have you and your sweet baby on my mind. BJ is a great help and I have also asked Momma of Muse to come over and keep an eye out for you. Two voices are always best as one may remember something the first forgets.

Just keep posting and following the directions they give and if they say it is time to take her to the ER, do it.

50. misty1477

Thank You......So Much

51. misty1477

Time for another test....after syrup.

She is PURRRRING louder than I ever heard her purr.

52. misty1477

AT 41 NOW..

53. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

Sue I'm here...just gonna take a second to read through so I can catch up where we are at this point.

Misty just breathe...Bj & I are old hands at this...my girl loves to dive for the basement...I can walk out a hypo in my sleep :D I'll stay with you until we have your Rumple back where she needs to be.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

54. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

41 is not significantly different from 37.

Feed another 1-2 teaspoons of food plus syringe syrup.

Re-test in 15 minutes.

55. misty1477

Would not eat food the first time.

I can syringe some syrup in her .... how much?

Excuse spelling.... ?!?!??!!?

She is curled up in her sleep-position.....purrs when I pet her.

56. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Aim for 3 ml - about 1 tablespoon worth. Divide into 1 ml amounts to dose more easily.

57. MommaOfMuse

If she won't let you syringe the syrup and won't eat food with it...got any ice cream? Sweetened Yogurt? I know Autumn fights me with Karo and syringe feeding but I can almost always get her to lick vanilla ice cream.

58. misty1477

I will syringe syrup ... that should not be a problem.

3ml .... 1ml at a time

59. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

time to test again

60. misty1477

All done with syrup dosing.

Next ?????

61. MommaOfMuse

test again and post number

62. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Test again - every 15-20 minutes until we get her safe.

Maybe make a mix of syrup and food for the next syringing.

63. misty1477

Now....right after syrup? No waiting?

64. MommaOfMuse

Yep now

Mel

65. misty1477

AT 54 NOW

66. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

The testing every 15 minutes is to see which way she is going. We want to see her go up some and stabilize.

Syrup doesn't last long - its in and out fast.

A mixture of syrup and food will add some longer lasting calories from protein and fat, so the glucose will be less likely to drop within 15 minutes.

67. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

54 -> 43.2 to 64.8

Better.

Another round of syrup/food.

Test again in 15 - 20 minutes.

68. MommaOfMuse

Test again in 15 she is headed in the right direction but a lot of that is the syrup which once it wears off she could dive again so we need to have you keep testing. Once she hits 70 I usually stop the syrup and see if they can hold the higher numbers without it.

Also since I'm playing catch up...how far out are we now from her shot this morning? +what?

69. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

+3, almost +4

on ProZinc

70. misty1477

Rolled over on her back like she wanted me to rub her belly....never did that before. Pulled my hands to her face to be petted. This is odd for her.

I have the food mixed with syrup on my desk.....seems like she is looking for it. Oh....went back in hallway to lay down....going to sleep.

Should I offer the food/syrup mix now before 15 minute test?

71. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Test & feed every 15 minutes until she gets stable over 80-100.

72. MommaOfMuse

Plus you want to treat this kind of like a concussion you really don't want to assume she is just trying to take a nap..we need to keep her up and eating. How is she walking? Normal or like she is drunk?

73. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Watch for these:

74. misty1477

Walks a wee-bit shaky....she has a strange body shape :roll: always kind of looked odd walking.

Time for test ..... poor ears !!!!!!!!! Other kittys are looking for attention....jealous I guess.

I will test and offer food/syrup in bowl. If she won't eat...shall I try to syringe it?

75. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, syringe the food mixture; need to get more calories in there.

76. misty1477

AT 58 Now

Eating food/syrup from bowl.

77. MommaOfMuse

Don't let her eat alot we need her to stay a little hungry in case we need her to eat more later.

78. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Only put down 1-2 teaspoons worth.

Too much and she may vomit, undoing the good from the syrup and food.

131 ~ AMPS (8:00)
    76 ~ +2 (9:00)
    37 ~ +3 (10:00)
    41 ~ +3.5 (10:33)
    54 ~ +4 (10:55)
    58 ~ +4.25 (11:16)

79. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Maple syrup will work as will honey......rub on gums only, do not syringe. Also, Laxatone or Nutrical if you have any. Also, vanilla ice cream.

80. misty1477

She only had a couple bites. She then washed her face and is laying down again. My cats (I guess MOST cats) always just "lounge" all day.

Will test again at 12:30. She is getting a little angry with fur-mom about the ear testing. I feel so bad.

81. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I'd rather she be mad and alive.

82. misty1477

Me too !!!

Geee.....almost time for next text. Fifteen minutes never went by so fast!!!

YOU GUYS ARE TOTALLY AWESOME!!! I APPRECIATE THIS SOOOOO MUCH !!! :D

83. MommaOfMuse

Second that one...I want her alive to forgive you later and she will she loves you.

84. misty1477

At 74 now

Didn't want food/syrup.....should I syringe it?

85. I would leave her alone and test in 30 minutes.
    Carl

86. misty1477

87. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Its been mostly syrup to this point; maybe aim for a teaspoon of just food, no syrup, to help stabilize the better numbers.

131 ~ AMPS (8:00)
    76 ~ +2 (9:00)
    37 ~ +3 (10:00)
    41 ~ +3.5 (10:33)
    54 ~ +4 (10:55)
    58 ~ +4.25 (11:16)
    74 ~ +4.5 (11:30)

88. Two reasons Misty...
    1 - you don't want to force too much food and make her puke up what's in her belly.
    2 - you want to give what is in her belly the time it takes for the carbs to show up on your meter.

If it is lower in thirty minutes, then see if she'll eat a spoonful.
    Carl

89. MommaOfMuse

She is up enough now to put the syrup away and see if she can stay up on just food. Plus we need to know where she is headed once that sugar wears off...syrup will bring them up quickly but also wears off fairly quickly so we need to know if she is really up again or just on a sugar high right now.

You are doing fantastic by the way...And when Rumple gets over being mad about the testing today she will thank you for saving her life.

90. misty1477

I understand. She is napping now...I keep calling her every once in a while to make sure she picks her head up (responds).

Could all of this be from when my vet up her dose to 1.5 ????? And .... Holy Crap....vet told me to only test at AMPS + PMPS !!!! Is there a "beat the crap out of the vet" smiley available?????

91. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Yes, this could be from increasing the dose. Also it could be from the pancreas starting to kick in a bit.

And we find many vets are out of date when it comes to contemporary feline diabetes management.

If you get a minute, add the numbers to your spreadsheet.

A good thing to do when first starting out with doses is to find out if the pre-shot is rising or falling. You do that by testing 30-60 minutes or so before the pre-shot test. (Thanks for the reminder Carl)

92. MommaOfMuse

Wish there was...Unfortunately we see this all too often.

93. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Next test coming up.

94. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

angry(2)_cat Think this is the best one we have :mrgreen: Please, never syringe syrup, Karo, etc......risk of aspiration. Works well just rubbing on the gums with your finger. I know, makes a mess but much safer. If kitty will eat, then you can mix some Karo into the food. Glad R is going up.

95. misty1477

121 for 1:00PM

96. MommaOfMuse

Sweet now hopefully she will stay up for you. <fingers, toes and paws crossed>

Good job on getting those tests today. cat_pet_icon

97. misty1477

What next?

I will update SS now.

98. Misty,
    From now on, at least short-term, no shots under 200? Maybe at some point you could try it, but you don't want this kind of excitement every day ;-)
    Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.