RUMPELTEAZER @ 79 AMPS !!! HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by misty1477, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

A teaspoon or 2 of low carb food should be good to help maintain.

And a dose reduction may have been earned! She may be more sensitive to insulin after this hypo, so be sure to get advice this evening and test 30 minutes or so before the pre-shot to make sure she's rising.

131 ~ AMPS (8:00)
    76 ~ +2 (9:00)
    37 ~ +3 (10:00)
    41 ~ +3.5 (10:33)
    54 ~ +4 (10:55)
    58 ~ +4.25 (11:16)
    74 ~ +4.5 (11:30)
    121 ~ +5 (12:00)

2. Next? Test in thirty, but I think we're past the "crisis" phase.
    Carl

3. Agree with BJ.... a spoon of food but don't sweat it if she won't eat it immediately.
    Carl

4. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

No problem....but when she does go over 200....how much do I shoot? I definitely do NOT want (or need) this kind of excitement every day.

How often should I test her for the rest of today?
    When should I feed?

I am guessing that her numbers later on today will indicate if I have to test during the late evening and/or overnight. Yes? I will deal with stupid job thing however I have to so I know she is okay. I cannot "call-off" of work, but I can swing home anytime if I absolutely have to test.

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Another spot check or so at the 30 minute mark and if she's staying up, leave out the low carb and let her graze as needed.

Tonight, she may be high from having the high carb, plus as a reaction to the low levels she experienced. This is normal.
    Lets see how she tests this evening before determining what to do.

(If I were to guess, she'll be above 200 and you might give only 0.5 units, to be cautious, as she may be more sensitive to the insulin now.)

6. misty1477

180 at 1:30PM

Eating what was left of the food/syrup mix.....not very much....couldn't grab bowl in time.....RAN right for it....HUNGRY????

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

She may be a bit hungry and then it should settle a bit. Some of the counter-regulatory hormones are probably in her bloodstream still and they are telling her to eat. Small amounts of low carb (smear it across the plate), maybe with some added water, should help slow her down.

Breathe!

By the way, in your spread sheet, you can highlight the top couple of rows, and select View, Freeze Rows, to keep them at the top even when you scroll.

8. misty1477

I am <breathing> now. :D

I will test again at 3:00.

I can't thank you all enough for helping me & Rumpelteazer through this. :YMHUG: :RAHCAT

9. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

There may come a day when you have the chance to pay it forward and help someone else.

10. misty1477

417 at 3:00 (+7)

Vet just called me back from yesterday. Told her about her numbers since she upped the dose. ohmygod_smile I am so aggravated right now I can hardly remember what she said. DAMN....I wish I recorded the phone call !!!! Still insists that I test too much. Agreed with me that her numbers were high at the vet's office due to stress of not being home. Said I will drive myself crazy testing so much during the day because glucose does go up and down during the day (DUHHHHH...I know that!) Said I should get AlphaTrak if I am going to test more than AMPS/PMPS so "....we are comparing apples to apples." Told her about today's numbers and what I did with syrup/etc. and she said something about how syrup brings levels up quick .... and blah...blah...blah. (We discussed all of that here today). She said it is okay to take her dose back down to 1 unit twice a day for a few days to see how things go. Said it is not good to change doses and test/feed routine without seeing how any dose does over a few days.

Vet didn't seem too upset (concerned) about the LOW numbers today. Kind of related it to me trying to test too much or something.

Good Grief.....I have such a damn headache I could S C R E A M !!!! But I won't....don't want to scare my kittys. :smile:

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

And if you hadn't tested what would have happened?

My signature link has Vet Interview Topics, if you decide to go vet shopping.

12. misty1477

I am definitely looking forward to that day. :D :D :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

13. misty1477

This is the BEST forum board ever for FD. If I didn't know it existed, I would have been off to the ER with a huge bill attached or EVEN WORSE....Rumpelteazer may have died.

Even though her ears look a total mess from all the poking....she is ALIVE. And I am very grateful for that. :D

I will check out that link. Thanks A Bunch!

BTW...Since I also have a Betta fish, I am on another forum similar to this but it is all about Bettas. I learned so much from it when I was given my Betta.

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Pick up some Neosporin ointment with pain relief. Helps healing. Reduces annoyance of testing and helps blood bead up for testing too; apply before testing, wait a couple minutes, wipe off, then test.

15. misty1477

I have been using the Neosporin (Pain Relief) cream one.

I think I will wait until 7:00 to test her again. That would be 1/2 before her "scheduled" shot. Last test was at 3:00. What do you think?

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable to me. Then you will know if she is rising, level, or falling when you get the pre-shot test in.

You might pick up the food 2 hours before test time, so the levels are independent of food fueling them.

17. misty1477

As far as I know, she has not eaten since the little bit after the 12:15PM test.

There was a bowl of Purina Indoor Formula downstairs, but I am not sure if she ate any of it. I have been in my den all day....didn't remember to cover that one particular bowl. Hope she didn't eat any of it.

18. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

What wonderful helpers you had today, Misty. And you remained calm and cool.

I think someone explained that the number tonight could be unusually high not only because of the syrup but also because she can be bouncing from the low numbers. (the body senses that it is dropping lower than it is comfortable doing and releases extra glucose. That causes a "bounce" back up into higher numbers.)

So the dose. I think the one unit last night would have been fine if you had waited at amps, without feeding and retested. Depending on the number, but assuming it was over 200, I would have suggested a tiny bit less than one unit this am.

Tonight is a quandry. We don't have any idea how much of the number is a bounce and how much is all the food and syrup today. We need all that to leave her system. And you aren't home at night. I'll keep a watch out for your pmps.

Tomorrow we can reevaluate. Some kitties are high and flat the cycle after a hypo. Some are low. We will have to see what happens after her body is "normal" again. And see where to go from there.

You truly saved her life today and hometesting was a huge part of that. I think I would try to find a vet that at least understands that......

19. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

If you won't be home tonight,
    and if she tests over 200 (likely) and is rising,
    and because she may be more sensitive to the insulin due to the hypo,
    a very conservative dose of 0.5 units is likely to be safe.
    It may not be optimal, but I'd go for safe if you're not going to be home.

It'll take a few days for things to restabilize, so don't be surprised if the numbers are erratic.

Do you get weekends off, or is your job over weekend nights too?

20. misty1477

I work 7 days a week/365 days a year :sad: :roll: The weekend is the worst: Saturday night from 11:00PM until 8:00/8:30AM (sometimes later) Sunday morning.

I will be testing her at 7:00PM...pretty soon.

21. misty1477

346 at 7:00PM

22. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Hmmm. So she was in the 400s at +7 and now at +12 she is at 346. I think we want be careful; she is coming down at least a little bit on her own..

I really think I would skip. We can't be sure what she will do with the syrup and carbs wearing off. A half a unit might be okay, but if you won't be there, I wouldn't give any.

23. misty1477

I will wait until 7:30 and just dole out the FF. "They" are ALL waiting like a school of phirana fish. :smile:

I wish it wasn't so close to the weekend. Saturday night into Sunday morning testing/feeding/shooting schedule gets all messed up + I go to work with about 1-1/2 hours of sleep. I hope things get better by Saturday evening. I HATE my JOB !!!!

24. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Please post in the am before you shoot, to get some input. I will watch for you.

25. misty1477

Don't worry....I will definitely post before I shoot. Everyone here is my Rumpelteazer's lifeline. :D

I don't know how she feels after today....but I am mentally & emotionally exhausted. Actually...it looks like Rumpelteazer feels just "HUNGRY" right now. ;-)

26. misty1477

Oh yes, Sue.....I don't know what I would have done without everyone's help. I was calm until vet called me back (from yesterday)....I was ready to jump through the damn phone & rip her head off :evil:

I am truly looking forward to a better day tomorrow. :smile:

I totally agree with you. Her next vet appointment is 3-26. I will be vet-shopping before then.

27. The 417 was largely due to the amount of syrup that you gave her earlier when her numbers were really low, plus any food she ate then. The lower number at PMPS is due to those short-acting carbs wearing off. Those carbs are "gone" from her system by now. The higher PMPS tonight is most likely due to the "bounce" that Sue mentioned earlier. That and the dose this morning has also worn off.

I can't advise whether a shot tonight makes sense or not.

Carl

28. misty1477

She ate about 1 and 1/2 cans of FF now. Seems very content and happy. I guess I won't shoot tonight and pray that tomorrow will be a better day.

29. Content and happy is just what you want her to feel. ;-)

Carl

30. misty1477

I should start a new topic/thread for tomorrow......yes?

This one is getting very long. We can start 'fresh'.

31. Yes,good idea!

Good job today
    Carl

32. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Glad she seems well; that's the most important thing.

I'll watch for you in the morning, too.

33. misty1477

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE !!!

Hope today is a good one.

Started a new topic/thread in PZI today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.