Sam, AMPS (unknown)/ +3 319 / PMPS 171

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by chuckstables, Nov 30, 2022.

1. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Hello,

First time posting here. Just started testing my little sam. This morning I had given him waaay too many high carb treats; I realized that temptations are like 35% carbs by weight, so not going to give those anymore. As a result his blood levels were 319 3 hours after his morning dose. I didn't get into the groove of being able to test until this afternoon; I found the sweetspot. The first test I did hurt him; he cried and flinched because I was on the wrong side of the ear (and went through it....).

Anyways; his appetite hasn't been as large as usual the last two days. I'll make sure to test tomorrow morning before his dose. I won't be able to test at midday; I work in the office one week and then at home the next week. Don't have any friends, and the only two people I could ask to test him are my parents who both have COVID and live 120 km away, so that's a no go.

Would mid night testing be of any use? Also; his levels seem high to me. I thought he was doing great; apparently not!

2. Carole & Indigo

Carole & Indigo Well-Known Member

Welcome to LLB! We are in Canada as well :)
    I am no pro but any testing you can get in will give you helpful info about how Sam’s dose is working for him so tests during the day and night when you can are great!

Jackie and Biggie likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the LBL forum! :)

Did you just start testing yesterday? Could you please add data for the last week of November to your spreadsheet - even if it's only the number of units you have given - that way we have some history to base our dosing advice on.

It would also help us if you could read our dosing protocols and pick one so that we can advise you on dosing accordingly!
    Dosing Methods: Start Low, Go Slow (SLGS) & Tight Regulation (TR)

With Lantus the nadir is usually around +2 and the nadir around +4 - though some cats have earlier or later onsets and nadirs. The best way to understand how Sam is behaving on Lantus is to get tests at different times (on days that you can).

A test at +2 can act like a crystal ball of what the rest of the cycle is going to look like.
    • If the +2 is about the same as the PS, it's usually going to be a pretty normal cycle - gradually down to nadir and then gradually back up to the next PS.
    • If the +2 is a lot higher than the PS, that usually means there's a bounce starting and it's usually OK to take a little bit of a break from testing.
    • If the +2 is (a lot) lower than the PS, that's your early warning that it could be an "active" cycle and numbers might go a lot lower later in the cycle and it's important to try to get more tests.
    Of course, some cats have an onset later in the cycle like +2.5 or +3. In that case, a test at +2.5 or +3 would be a better indicator than a +2.

Considering that he is starting lower tonight, you might want to get a test at +2 and see if further tests are needed later in the cycle.

Does he get food only twice a day with his shot?

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I would definitely get a test at midnight tonight. Many cats go lower at night. We determine how to change the dose based on how low it takes the cat, hence the importance in testing in the PM cycle. I rather suspect you will see a lower number than that 171 if you get a later test tonight.

5. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Okay, i’ll test at 2am since that’s when i go to bed (i’m out for my nighttime walk to destress). And no; he eats when he wants at this point. He won’t eat wet food when i give him his shot. Was super frustrated as he refused most wet food today and would only take dry food (he did eventually eat half a can of wet food before his shot).

And yes; i only just started testing after a lot of people suggested it. So i have no more data than what i’ve put on the spreadsheet. I’ll enter in that he has been on 3 since November 1st at least.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  6. Bandit's Mom

Which dry food is he eating?

7. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

At this point? Almost none, only as a treat. Purina proplan DM is the brand, 18% carbs. Small amount i’ll put on the top of his cat post to force him to exercise his leg muscles.

didn’t get to test last night; not enough blood. This morning there was too much… think i hit a vein! It was 7.2 mmols/l, or 129.6. He ate wet food a few times before his shot, probably twice, once a few hours before and the other an hour before. I left him some 18% carb dry food ontop of his post for him to grab. But yeah; i’ll try testing at midnight. I suspect that his blood sugar was even lower in the middle of the night.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  8. Wendy&Neko

Agreed, he was probably lower last night. Don't be surprised if he bounces to higher numbers as a result. Which would mean he could need a reduced dose.

Don't forget to keep the spreadsheet up to date with the latest data. Thank you. We depend on that when trying give suggestions on dosing.

9. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

I’ll keep it up to date, didn’t have time to add it before i left. Had to go to work. I’ll update it tonight.

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

When you post on the lantus you would put the Date first, then Sam the AMPS # any tests after that and continue with PMPS # and any tests after that

11. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Sure; do you know what lancets work with the bravo lancet device? I think using the device would be easier for me. The accuchek softclix ones i got don’t fit i believe…

12. Bandit's Mom

You could try using freeze dried treats or if it has to be dry food, there are low carb options in dry food as well – Young Again, Dr. Elsey’s Cleanprotein and Wysong Epigen 90. Might be harder to find them in Canada though.

13. Wendy&Neko

Dr. Elsey's is available at Petsmart in BC.

This is a Canada only device. You might want to post a new thread in the Feline Health forum to get more eyes on the question.

14. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

He was at a 6.7 mmol PMPS, so 7.2 AMPS, 6.7 PMPS. Updating my spreadsheet, i’ll make a new thread. No midday reading unfortunately. Likely low; he’s had some high carb dry food (18%) and half a can of wetfood and some medium carb treats.