Sam's update - part 2 (renamed since he is past the "bad" incident)

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. I'm just afraid all the Lantus people are going to laugh and say, "well, you can shoot all the way down to 50!"

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

This is the case with Lily. She's a nervous, scared cat in general, and she's had a couple of bouts of what looks like symptomatic UTI comma when in fact there's no infection. I'm sitting in a parking lot right now, I have some kind of pills for her that help with the pain, I'll post when I get home and can look at them.

Edit, and never mind. Posted before reading the whole thread.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Teasel was prone to bouts of cystitis that didn't involve infection. He'd get an antispasmodic (for urethral spasms) - prazosin (sp?) - and bupe for pain. Since the FD diagnosis and having water added to all wet meals he hasn't had another bout.

How are you doing, Lois!

4. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Hi Kris! And gang
    It was great to meet Djamila. Come visit SF folks, I'll show you around if there's time.
    I'm fine. I miss Java, especially when outside gardening. He would hang out with me, follow me around, be someplace close by where he could keep an eye on me. The last gardening project he "helped" me with is growing nicely.

I'm spending a lot of time with Lily. She can be skittish, and she's never been confident, so we're working on improving both those things, as always, but more attention now. Java would hang out, but Lily would be under the deck.

A friend is urging me to adopt some kittens she knows about, her best favorite cat came from the same farm. Because I had to cancel or change all my plans, willingly, happily so, to spend time with Java, I now can travel this summer, if I don't get kittens or another cat. It's hard to know. Lily is a lot calmer with a person or other cat to be near. I may try a stuffed animal, even.

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Lois! Some day I'll find a way to get out to SF and I'll definitely take you up on that offer to show us around! We miss hearing about Java, but I am so glad you have Lily and that last gardening project to remember Java in good times!

You mentioned something you used for pain above for Lily...out of curiosity, what is it? Always looking for new meds for my own little ones when they have issues.

Give yourself some time to decide what you want...if you want to travel some, do that! We willingly and happily give up so much for our cats, but when they are gone, it's sometimes a chance to try some of that. I totally get that. :bighug:

So glad you checked in, Lois! Please let us know if you need anything, and know we're always here!!!

Lois and Java likes this.
  6. Djamila

Lois is a great tour guide!!! She knows so much about San Francisco! I've been there a few times, but learned more in this trip than the other three combined! @Lois, did you get the insulin figured out? Chris and China posted on your other thread about getting in touch.

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I had to come over and see how Sam was doing and saw that you are on a dinky dose. He is looking so good!!!!
    Hmm, not sure that Lantus peeps would say that about shooting anything over 50 because ProZinc is an in/out insulin and so different from a depot insulin and that said, I don't know what the lowest number is for ProZinc for cats coming down the dosing ladder is as I didn't get that far. How exciting that Sam is on such a dinky dose. You want to keep moving it down ever so slight. ( I am assuming that you are using calipers to get exact doses like 0.2. )

When their numbers arwe 50-120, then they are in great normal numbers. Sam is almost there!! I am so happy for you. Look @Ruby&Baco SS as it might be helpful to you.

Rachel likes this.
  8. Djamila

Thanks so much for coming over, Bobbie!!! Unfortunately, his pre-shots seem to be creeping the wrong direction right now. I was really hoping I'd come back from my trip and find him all done with the insulin, but it looks like he's determined to take the slow road. I've seen a few spreadsheets on here where someone had to shoot a 0.2u dose for months. I really really hope we don't have to do that!

Sorry for the Lantus crack. :smuggrin: I'm sure everyone over there would know that prozinc can't be shot that low.

I think I've decided no shot under 120, full dinky dose over 130, and use the go-with-my-gut approach between 120-130.

I did dig back into some older threads and read how Sue and Robin counseled people at this point. For the most part, they drew the line a little higher (around 140), but there were some exceptions. Since this is Sam's second round, and he's getting very stable, predictable, subtle drops, I'm feeling like I can safely shoot pretty low....at least until I can't. I'll check out Ruby's SS. Thanks so much for the suggestion! Is Bubba still doing well?

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  9. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Lol!!! Remember also that you can do the drop method, where you can just give a drop should you need to.

10. Djamila

Yah, I've also seen a spreadsheet where someone gave a drop for weeks. Oh, wait...that was @Bobbie And Bubba! ;)

I think I'm feeling a little gloomy about all of this tonight. :(

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  11. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

If it were me, I would take him to 0.10 for a bit with his numbers all being under 120 and because this is his second rodeo. He is looking so good and I am sorry that you are feeling gloomy with it. This sugar dance sure has a lot of melancholy attached to it for sure.

And no offense to the Lantus crack, I think I knew that you were kidding. The two insulins are dosed so differently and with Lantus being based on how low the insulin takes them with consideration to the Pre shot number, it is a different beast than ProZinc with dosing on the Pre shot number with some consideration to the nadir. But, none the less, Sam is looking so good and he is almost there so don't despair. Since this is his 2nd rodeo with insulin, some extra insulin support is so important for a strong remission. Be patient. Don't make me send you my skinny pink patience pants! LOL! Sending hugs. :bighug: \

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  12. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Sorry that I just now saw your tag @Bobbie And Bubba , but as you know I jump on and off at this board due to my health.
    @Djamila i've never had to deal with really low numbers and shoot as I had a limit to what to shoot and what not too. But as you can see at my SS, Baco wasn't dealing with those really low numbers at PS. Well she was but I just didn't give her a shot, and just tested her during the day which gave me the inside info that she was doing fine during the day so that's why I decided to not shoot.
    Hopefully Sam will be prozinc free soon, that would be great for you! Sam is a great name, i've had a kitty named Sam but unfortunately he passed away :(
    If I can help you with anything just tag me and I will come online. :kiss:

Djamila, Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.