Sam's update

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Djamila, Mar 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Sam's numbers have been happy and stable, so I haven't been posting much.

Then tonight he was a little low so I stalled, and he stayed in the same range.

So I decided to give a slightly reduced dose....and then ended up with a fur shot. :banghead:

Just posting for sympathy since I know you all understand that frustration.

2. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

I almost gave smoky a fur shot tonight.
    He is very underweight so there are times I give him a shot and the needle hits the bone. I worry that the insulin isn't going where it should. Sam might be a tiny bit higher next time around but there's no way to know for sure how much insulin he got. He will get back on track fairly quickly I think next time around.

3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aww that's too bad! We've all been there!. You'll get him back!

4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

It's like, I'll play it safe and give reduced shot... or oh nevermind, the stars say fur shot :banghead::p
    Sams SS looks amazing!

StephG and Djamila like this.
  5. Djamila

Sam is walking around restless and drinking a ton of water. I just tested him, and he had AMPS at 225, and +3.75 at 135, so his numbers are good. His behavior is making me nervous though. He's usually sound asleep at this time, and hasn't been drinking water like this in weeks.

6. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

What do you mean by a 'fur shot'? Don't you kind of pinch the skin before injecting?

7. Djamila

Yes, you pinch it and then inject in the loose part of the skin...but Sam is very very wiggly. So once in awhile when I try to inject him, he'll twist or run away and some of the insulin will get on his fur. We call that a "fur shot."

Because you can't know how much got in, and how much was on the fur, the rule is that you don't re-shoot. You just mark on your spreadsheet that it was a fur shot and don't worry about it. Trying to re-shoot could end up over-dosing a cat, and that was way way more dangerous than letting the cat have high BG for a cycle.

It's pretty frustrating, because we hate to miss a shot and have our kitties in higher numbers. There is an expression used around here a lot, "Better high for a day, than low for a minute." The reason for that is that high numbers aren't healthy long term, but aren't a big deal for a cycle or two. Low numbers can kill a cat right away, so they are much more dangerous.

8. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

After a few fur shots I shaved a spot on Chuck's side. I go clockwise where I shoot to rotate the spot so he doesn't get sore. I was actually shocked and very amused at how he reacted to the buzzers. He almost shaved half his little face! I held it up for him to smell it then turned it on so he could see it was nothing to be scared of and he immediately tried rubbing up on it!! No need to desensitize him with it! My other cat won't let me touch him for a half hour after I use my electric toothbrush! LOL Once he sees those in my hands I can't touch him for at least an hour! Silly kitty.

9. Djamila

I've been thinking about doing that. It's been awhile since I hit a fur shot, but still...I think Sam would probably let me do it if I offer him treats. His undercoat is absurdly thick, and since I got the shorter needles (big mistake) it's taken a lot of caution to make sure I'm through that layer. How big of a square did you shave? And where?

10. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

I hit more fur shots with the shorter needles too. I did it kinda by his shoulder.

11. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Here's a few pics. Hard to tell with his light colored fur.
    1st one I'm pinching his scruff to give you an idea where it is. It's about an inch or 1.5 inches.
    2nd is how it looks when I pull his skin up to shoot, looked at the pic again it's not exactly how it looks when I shoot. Pic didn't time right.
    3rd is how it looks normally

Attached Files:

Lois and Java likes this.
  12. Djamila

Those pictures are great! Thank you! I'll have to give it a try. I'm leaving town for a few days this month, and I think that will make it way way easier for the pet sitter, too.

StephG likes this.
  13. Djamila

Okay, I have another question about this...

So I've read that if you shoot the same place every day, the cat can form hard bumps or lumps or something like that. This is a pretty small patch though -- so as long as you move around to the different parts of the patch, that's far enough apart to avoid the bumps forming? Or do you shave different patches as this one grows over?

14. Djamila

Would y'all mind taking a peek at Sam's spreadsheet and sharing your thoughts? For two cycles, 1.2 seemed right. Then it seemed like it wasn't quite enough, so I went back to 1.4 tonight. But that seems like a tiny bit too much since he's at 74 at +4 and his nadir isn't for another hour. He always eats a snack right now, so I'm not worried about him going hypo, but would feel better if he was hitting 74 in an hour instead of right now.

So should I stay at 1.4, knowing that he's still fine as long as he gets this snack? Or try to hit 1.3? Or let the 1.2 ride for a few more days and see if his pancreas ups its game a little more? Or am I just being ridiculously neurotic and should stop worrying about such little details (that's the one all of my friends vote for)?

15. Yong & Maury GA

Maybe a fat 1.2U? Essentially closer to the 1.3, if you can monitor him :). Looks like the 1.4 did well for his AM cycles but he does seem to go a little lower overnight.

16. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I think I'd stick with 1.4 u for a bit. The overnight green was nice and the daytime blues on past AM doses of 1.4 u were fine. I'm a fan of keeping things as consistent as possible unless numbers indicate otherwise. That includes AM/PM doses, number of cycles at a dose, etc. If too many thing get changed at/around the same time it's hard to judge the effect.

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Since he gets that snack, I think 1.4 is a good dose. I know that's a scary number at +4, but the snack evens it out and you do WANT him in those lower numbers if you can get him there...more healing time!

18. Djamila

Okay, I'll try to be brave with those evening doses...:nailbiting:

He's still drinking a lot this morning. I so wish cats could talk!

Lois and Java and Lisa and Smoky like this.
  19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Remember also that you CAN steer with food...you've done it! We have complete confidence in you.

And also, if you ever feel you need to reduce, you do hold the syringe. The dose has to be something you're comfortable with. That snack should give you some breathing room making the 1.4 safe, but if you feel it's not, you have to do what is best for you and Sam. :bighug:

20. Djamila

Thanks, Rachel. I think I tend to err on the cautious side, so sometimes I need that little nudge.

Also, I just hit a vein when i tested him. Blood everywhere. And it took forever to get it to stop bleeding. It's been a long time since I've done that. Poor baby - he's had a tough weekend....fur shot, vein poke, and he's staying pretty flat which makes me wonder if I should have done a +5 last night after all. Not often I would say this, but I think I'm ready for this weekend to be over. :oops:

Rachel likes this.
  21. Yong & Maury GA

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Hang in there, Janette! Almost a new week :)

Djamila likes this.
  22. Djamila

Easy to shoot 1.4 tonight given his PS.

...it's a marathon......it's a marathon......it's a marathon......it's a marathon......it's a marathon...

23. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Time for those patience pants!

MiCo likes this.
  24. Djamila

Sigh...just when I thought his pre-shots were inching lower...

25. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Honestly, though, it's not THAT much higher than recent numbers. Could be a bit of a bounce from last night too.

Djamila likes this.
  26. Djamila

Oh bless his heart....I just realized he ate the flowers off of my violet plant today (he loves eating plants). I wonder how many carbs are in a violet? :p

27. Djamila

It's almost vacation time! I'll be gone from the 10th to the 13th. I can give Sam his shot on the 10th before I leave, but won't be back until late on the 13th. So seven shots. I have a pet sitter who can give him the shots, but so far she hasn't had any luck getting a test. Sam just won't cooperate with her. She's coming this week to try a few more times, but I don't feel like I can count on that. And she won't be available for any mid-cycle monitoring. So the questions is: what dose should she shoot?

Last time I left, for six shots, she just skipped them altogether and it didn't seem to really hurt him, but I'd rather not lose that much momentum at this point.

Sam's numbers have been pretty stable (knock on wood...antijinx....), but I still don't think I'm comfortable with her giving his full dose blindly for four days. What do you all suggest?

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  28. Kris & Teasel

My gut says 1 u. How do you feel about that?

Yong & Maury GA and Rachel like this.
  29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I like 1 unit too. It helps you keep that momentum while not giving him that 1.4 that's been giving you those greens.

30. Djamila

I think I'd be comfortable with that. I wish I still had some u-40s. I'm also not crazy about her using the conversion. She's a trained pet sitter, and perfectly smart enough to handle it...I'm just a worry-wart.

Do they sell u-40's at the drug store? Maybe I can just pick up a little bag of them...

31. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I think only vets sell them. If you can't get any, you could take one of your syringes and fill it with colored water so she can compare when she draws up the dose.

32. Djamila

Okay, next question: what is up with his daytime mid-cycles!?!? Why aren't they coming down? Should I try 1.6 during the day? Or should I just ride this out for a little longer and see what happens? His nighttime cycles are like textbook prozinc cycles, but during the day he's just surfing along like he didn't even get insulin (okay, I know it's only been three days...)

33. Kris & Teasel

Patience, Grasshopper ... ;)

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  34. Djamila

Lol...Thank you. I needed that :):bighug:

And now....just because I said he was super stable and consistent...he's showing me a PMPS of 114. :facepalm:

35. Kris & Teasel

He's a cat. :blackeye:

Djamila likes this.
  36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

He heard you talk about him being stable and decided to show you!

Djamila likes this.
  37. Djamila

And now I sit here, tapping my fingers, trying to decide what to do....

He's at 129. His evening cycles have been active. He's been hitting greens before nadir. Last time he had a low PMPS and I gave a bigger dose, he went hypo...He's in a mood, so lots of testing tonight isn't going to work, although I think I could get a couple of them done before he shreds my face...

.6? .8? 1.0? I'm leaning toward the .6 because I'm tired and don't want to be up all night...but then...you know....momentum and all....

Anyone want to share their thoughts on this?

38. Yong & Maury GA

Can you give next test result before I put my 2 cents in? lol

39. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looking over your SS now!

40. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd lean towards .6 myself. Momentum is important, but those nighttime cycles have been pretty active! And if you're concerned about how many tests you can get in, I would want to be careful.

Did you grab another test by chance?

41. Djamila

Thank you for weighing in - I feel better knowing I wasn't too far out in left field. I went with .7u. That's what I always do when I can't decide -- aim for the middle. ;)

I only stalled 20 minutes and then I fed him. I'm super tired and didn't quite have it in me to listen to the cries of starvation. So only the two tests - the 114 and the 129. He's in a better mood now too. I think he was just really hungry tonight because as soon as I fed him, he dove in and was purring while he ate, then came over and climbed in my lap --- something he never does.

I think it's a curious cycle when he doesn't seem to be moving at the mid-cycle, and then the pre-shot is low. This is the second time he's done this. Makes me wish I could have grabbed a +8 on those days!

42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Sounds perfect! Yeah, I think sometimes it's just helpful to have a second voice chime in to reassure you...I know I needed that all the time! Luckily Sue was always willing to jump in :)

Glad the food seems to have put him in a better mood! I can understand how he feels...being hungry makes me super grumpy too!!!!

Djamila and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  43. Djamila

Oh, I miss @Sue and Oliver (GA) !!! I hope she's doing well!

And you're so right about the second voice. These are complicated decisions and it's is so so comforting to have other people weigh in and provide reassurance!

44. Djamila

Well, that's a lovely little evening cycle.

45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Proves that you have good instincts!!

Oh I know, I miss Sue terribly too! I hope she and DH are doing well and she's able to enjoy her "retirement" from the board!

46. Kris & Teasel

We all miss her. :(

47. Djamila

Woot! Woot! Daytime green!!! @Kris & Teasel, thank you for the encouragement to be patient at this dose!

48. Kris & Teasel

:D!!

49. Yong & Maury GA

I hope they are both doing well too :). I didn't get to chat with her much before she left. Also, wondering where Pati has been and Shipscat :(.

Grats on a nice day green, Janette! :D

50. Kris & Teasel

I worry when I don't see the regulars on here.

Sharon14 likes this.
  51. Yong & Maury GA

Combined with not updated SS's.
    Sorry Djamila for depressing your thread! :facepalm:

52. Djamila

I was wondering about them too! (and no worries about the shift in topic). @ShipsCat magically appeared when I really needed some wisdom, but then disappeared. I hope everything is okay!

53. Djamila

No shot tonight. And another one of those weird cycles where he doesn't seem like he's going anywhere at mid-cycle, and then his PS is too low to shoot.

And the pet sitter was here to go over the shots -- didn't go so well since he didn't get one. However, she did get to do a successful test, so that was exciting. Still not sure I can count on it, but at least she did one -- and the first one is always the hardest, right?

Now I'm worrying more about the dose while I'm gone. Here's what I'm thinking:

Over 200 = 1u
    Under 200 = no shot
    No test = no shot

Since he's had two low numbers in three days, I'm feeling like shooting blindly is a bad idea, even at a low dose.

Am I just being a worry wart? What does the hive mind think of all of this? I'm very open to other's thoughts on this.

54. Yong & Maury GA

Wow. Sam's doing awesome! I think your dose plan is good while you're gone. He's doing great on the current dose but that's with you around test him and make sure he is safe. I don't think lowering the dose while you are away will set you back much if at all :).

55. Djamila

His skipped-shot-and-post-snack +4 is 127. That is all I will say, because we know that when we say things they hear and start doing the opposite.

56. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

:smuggrin:
    I think your plan is a good one.

57. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Can you tell me how to hide rows on the SS? I'd like to hide a few months on mine since I didn't start a new one for 2017.

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You're only gone for a few days right? I think that vacation plan is good. It's only a few days and you might lose a bit of momentum, but as we all know, better too high for a day than too low for a moment.

Those numbers he is giving you are EXCELLENT! And I do hope that your pet sitter can get some tests in, but if not, at least you know he'll be safe.

59. Djamila

On your spreadsheet, using the numbers on the left side, select the rows you want to hide, then right click and one of the options will be "hide rows 3-27 (or whatever rows you picked)"

I wish I had started a new page for this round too. I suppose I could rearrange things, but hiding is quick and easy.

StephG likes this.
  60. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Thank you!!

61. Djamila

Gracious! How we drive ourselves crazy! Or maybe it's just me.

I got home late and needed to shoot as fast as I could so we didn't get any farther off schedule. But he was at 161. Since I was already 40 minutes late (ugh...don't judge), I didn't feel like stalling longer was a good idea. Plus, at that point he had essentially already been stalled. So I looked at this spreadsheet and decided on a .8u dose.

Then immediately after shooting I thought...

OMG! What was I thinking? Last night he didn't get any insulin at all and was fine and he's been so reactive and he's going to go hypo and die!

and then....

Oh dear....that was a really small dose...and he wasn't really that low. That probably wasn't enough. Now he's going to stay flat and I should have given him more.

-------------

Sometimes you just can't win.

62. StephG

StephG Well-Known Member

Oh I hate those instant feelings of regret after shooting. I think it was a good choice on dose... I would have done the same.

Djamila likes this.
  63. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We do drive ourselves nuts! I think that was a great choice. :)

Djamila likes this.
  64. Yong & Maury GA

The second guess - wait, can I take some insulin back out of you?!... Nope :facepalm:

Djamila likes this.
  65. Djamila

Well, looks like I should have gone with 1u. Not a bad cycle, but he had room to drop still. Although he was terrible for his test tonight, so in silver lining land: I won't have to monitor and try to test again with his mood, and also I got a good belly laugh trying to get him to cooperate. He climbed down through my hoodie (while I was wearing it), out the bottom, chased the civvie under the bed, and then stood defiantly on top of the bed just daring me to try again. I really do adore this little monster.

Now that I write that, I wonder....would his BG have been lower if the test had occurred with less drama? I guess there's no way to know.

66. Djamila

When...oh when...will I learn?!?! Every. single. time. that I say Sam is easy, he does something weird. :rolleyes:o_O

Okay, this isn't exactly new, I've been suspicious, but I finally caught it: At +4 he was at 189. That's usually just before his nadir. Now at +8, he's at 108.

I think he did this during the AM cycles on 4/4 and 4/6 as well. It appears we might have a new trend.

Yesterday he was green at nadir, so I won't call it a pattern yet.

It looks like his insulin is acting longer during the AM cycle. Which means it may also be acting longer during the PM cycle. Might be time to set an alarm and check. I really hate doing that. I like sleeping.

Lisa and Smoky likes this.
  67. srk4cats

lol. He's probably playing you, the little rascal! Chloe is an angel. She actually purrs when I hold her down for a test, but she yelps when I stick her.

68. Djamila

They do know how to get our hearts, don't they?

69. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

That little rascal! Haha he just wants to spend time with you at night.

70. Djamila

Well, he's either having a lousy cycle, or he's aiming long again. What do i do about this? Should I keep reducing the AM dose to try to get a shootable PMPS? If I do that, I'm worried about him staying high like this during the AM cycle. But if I raise the AM dose, I'm worried about him getting too much and diving.

Last time when this started happening, Sue said to keep reducing the AM dose, or to move to a 13/11 to give him more time to rise before the PMPS. But I wasn't getting a lot of mid-cycles at that point, so I don't really know what the day cycles looked like, and also I've been told that it's different the second time around, and not to put too much into what happened last time.

Any thoughts?

71. srk4cats

His scores are much lower than Chloe's. He doesn't have any red or black.

72. Djamila

I was very lucky to notice his diabetes early on since this was his second time having it. And Sam is very lucky to just not be very sick with it.

Just like humans, one person can catch a cold and fight it off in a day or two. Someone else can catch the same virus and end up in bed and with bronchitis. Diabetes isn't a virus, but that idea that everyone (or in this case, every cat) responds a little differently.

Also, I am confident that Chloe's numbers will get better. She is responding to the insulin. We can see that with her nice drops so far. As you gather more data, and grow in your skill with this, her numbers will start to come down. It does take awhile, but you'll start to see healthier numbers in time.

srk4cats likes this.
  73. Yong & Maury GA

I'm thinking try 1.0U before you leave. You may want to change the *Safe* dose while you're away :)

74. Djamila

Thank you so much for remembering that! I could shoot 1u tomorrow morning, but I leave at +2 tomorrow. I did change the rules for the sitter though. Now they read:

1. AM cycle: Above 200 - 0.6u, Below 200 - no shot
    2. PM cycle: No shot

I'm afraid that's way too conservative, and I'm going to set him back a bit, but I need to know he's safe while I'm gone or I'll spend the whole vacation imagining him passed out under the bed.

75. Yong & Maury GA

That wouldn't be much of a vacation :p. Hopefully he'll let her get AMPS so she doesn't have to skip shot if no test. I'm still dreading leaving Maury for at least 3 days in the fall with his current numbers :(

Djamila likes this.
  76. Kris & Teasel

I vote for a dose reduction if it's another NS tonight. He's going 12 hours with no insulin when you have a NS whereas he has some round the clock coverage if you have two shootable PSs.

Rachel and Djamila like this.
  77. Djamila

I hate the timing of this. Honestly, if I could cancel the vacation and just stay home with him this week, I would.

78. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I second the vote for a reduction!

I know the vacation is bad timing, but honestly...it always would be. And you NEED a little break. Sam is doing great, and taking a little break is helpful. You'll feel better with a little recharge and you know you'll get him back. :bighug:

Kris & Teasel and Djamila like this.
  79. Djamila

+8 is 93

Looks like long cycles are now his thing. Tomorrow morning - 1u, and then off to the desert...

Gosh, I'm going to miss my little fur monsters! I always miss them when I'm gone, but after being hunkered down at home staring at him for two months, it's going to be strange...

80. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Have a WONDERFUL time Djamila, and know your babies will be waiting for you when you get home! We'll miss you!

Djamila likes this.
  81. Kris & Teasel

Have a great vacation! We all need time away from FD occasionally. :)

Djamila likes this.
  82. Yong & Maury GA

Try not to worry too much, I know easier said than done ;). We will miss you :bighug:

Djamila likes this.
  83. Djamila

He just gave me a "normal" pre-shot. And already I'm disappointed because it's not one of his special, low pre-shots. It's definitely time for a break! I'm going to miss you all, but not staring at a computer screen all day long is going to be a blessed thing!

Rachel and Kris & Teasel like this.
  84. Yong & Maury GA

Sam seemed to do well while you were away :cat:.

Djamila likes this.
  85. Djamila

His numbers were pretty good. And I'm super proud of the pet sitter for getting some tests done! His poor ears though! Especially the right one - it's super bruised. And there were little blood spots on the wall in the testing area, so I think she hit the vein. He'll get over it though. And seriously - I'm just glad to have a sitter who can test and shoot!

I was second guessing the dose tonight - I hope it doesn't shock his system too much to go from a tiny bit of insulin back to the full dose! It'll be easy to keep an eye on him tonight - he's been following me around since I got home!

Rachel and Yong & Maury GA like this.
  86. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Welcome back!!!!!

Djamila likes this.
  87. Djamila

I had gradually moved Sam's shot time to 5:30 for the pet sitter, and was planning to gradually move it back to the 4:30 times which work better for me. He didn't get a shot this morning, so I'm thinking I can just bump it straight to 4:30 this afternoon since there won't be any overlap, but I'm wondering if that's too much all at once?

88. Kris & Teasel

Prime time to move the shot back.

Djamila likes this.
  89. Djamila

Thanks, Kris!

90. Yong & Maury GA

Agreed! :cat:

Djamila likes this.
  91. Djamila

Well, that NS this morning will certainly make life easier!

92. Djamila

So Sam was up on the testing counter pitching a fit and I thought gee, maybe he's dropping and trying to get my attention! So I go ahead and go over and give him a test. Not dropping at all. He just wanted more treats.

And now...because we can all use a little sunshine and love....here are Sam and Atticus...

93. Kris & Teasel

So cute - the bros! :smuggrin:

94. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Adorable!

95. Yong & Maury GA

96. Djamila

I'm feeling a little anxious about Sam's numbers today. First of all, I hate shooting below 150. I know I'm going to need to at this point, but....ugh. Also, I just don't know when his nadir is anymore. He might be at nadir, in which case 66 is a lovely nadir number. Or he might be having another long cycle like he had on 4/4, 4/6, and 4/8, in which case he still has a few hours to drop and I need to keep monitoring. Although today is 4/15 which is an odd numbers so maybe that means he's fine (I'm kidding!).

I know the only way to know is to keep testing, but his poor little ears are still so bruised from the pet sitter that I hate poking him right now.

I have to keep reminding myself that he doesn't seem to mind, and it's just me reacting to it....but they look awful :(.

97. Yong & Maury GA

:bighug::bighug::bighug: Remember, the nadir can move daily. Maybe he's working his way towards, you know, that thing beginning with a R :D. (antijinx) If that happens, I hope you don't leave :p

Stressedcatmom likes this.
  98. Djamila

It can move, but for the past few months, it's been pretty consistently around +4 to +6. Now...who knows? It really does move by the day/cycle.

And....shhhhhhh....

(I'm very superstitious!)

99. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like that was roughly nadir...when cats do move towards that thing I won't name, often the nadir does move around more than it used to...which could be good! antijinx!

100. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I had to come over and comment on how great Sam looks! This dose 1unit is doing good by him. It will be interesting to see how the 1.2 does. :cat:;):bighug::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.