911 Saoirse - PRAYERS PLEASE: UPDATED MONDAY GMT 21:00 - Steady Progress

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

(Previous thread starts here: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ea-reduced-eating-again-eyelids-puffy.152157/)

We are having another very rough day. Saoirse really isn't well.

* BP Check:

Saoirse very, very stressed and cranky so we could not get a completely reliable reading. BP 180 - 190. Last home reading a couple of months ago it was 140 at home.

* BP Measurement - Home Equipment:

I've ordered a Doppler unit to try to monitor Saoirse's blood pressure at home (due tomorrow). I am hoping I can use desensitization techniques so that she won't find it stressful and therefore we will have accurate readings upon which to base her treatment. I would welcome advice and suggestions about this from any members with experience of monitoring BP at home.

I also ordered a paediatric stethoscope. (Thank you, @Larry and Kitties, for the suggestions about monitoring equipment; much appreciated.)

* BP Lowering Medication (Amlodipine):

Strategy was discussed with vet. I told him that Saoirse was very, very cranky and that - apart from the terrifying scare in the small hours of Saturday morning with the ½ tablet dose - the medication did seem to help Saoirse because once she was stabilized she seemed a lot calmer and more comfortable.

I also told the vet about my late father. He had cardiovascular issues and used to get quite hot-tempered at time. He would go red in the face at those times. My brother (a doctor) told me that high blood pressure can affect people in that way. I am wondering whether Saoirse's crankiness may be a clinical sign of high BP. I also wonder whether she is in pain. :( We agreed to give her 1/6 tablet of amlodipine. I administered it a few hours ago. No fainting this time. Saoirse was a little groggy for a while but she did seem a lot less uncomfortable. I gave her the tropicamide an hour later and that seemed to help her as well. I think my girl is in pain and it is shrivelling me up inside. She has just gone to hide under the dining table. :( :(

* Affected Eye (Right Eye):

Still bloody. Worried about whether she may have glaucoma which worries me because tropicamide is contraindicated. It does seem to make her feel better after she gets it but I'm worried sick about whether it's the right med for her. Does anyone reading have experience of eye problems in feline diabetics, including glaucoma. I would welcome anything you can share with me. Also the vet advised that there is a possibility of problem being cancer-related (see below).

* Left Eye:

Pupil is dilated and does not react to light - not as dilated as one being treated with tropicamide. I thought the eye was also being affected by the drops. The vet says it should not affect the untreated eye this way. There are also some dark spots (?) on the retina in this eye and this could potentially cause problems.

Vet is making immediate referral to veterinary opthalmologist to measure intraocular pressure and possibly do a scan of Saoirse's eyes to better determine what is happening. I would welcome hearing of any experience members can share in this regard.

* Digestive System:

Saoirse is hungry but having some difficulty with eating again today. In the main, she needs a bit of help to start eating but once she gets going she eats well. I need to let her lick some of the juice from the food off my fingers or warm the food up for her. Could this be a sense of smell issue? She did seem a little nauseated earlier (ondansetron on board this morning OK - afraid to give famotidine or anything else right now) but that was just after she passed a few segments of tan stools with some mucus on them and then she started passing tan-coloured diarrhoea. Between the blood pressure issues and possible med side effects (e.g. tropicamide may cause nausea; amlodipine has nausea and abdominal pain as a common side effect in humans; fusidic acid can cause liver upsets and transient jaundice - and I'm too frikkin' scared to give Saoirse her SAM-e and milk thistle supplement right now - terrified of doing anything that might make the situation worse. :( ) Saoirse seemed to find it easier to eat after the amlodipine and tropicamide were administered so I wonder whether she's in enough pain to make her queasy. Also Saoirse's BG has been running around the 13.0 mark (Alphatrak) and that's not going to make her feel too clever either. Gave 0.25IU Lantus this morning. Assuming PMPS is high enough I will give 0.25IU again tonight. (I can't give more because I will not last the night before passing out; I am physically sick with exhaustion. I wish I had a family and that there was more than just me to watch over Saoirse; I don't want to fail her and if I can't get at least some rest that is what could happen. I am so scared.)

I've already taken a dose of beta blockers today to try to stop shaking and function better for my girl. I am contemplating taking another one. My stomach is a mess. My heart is in shreds.

I feel like I'm standing on quicksand and every move I try to make to get out of the predicament just sucks me down further.

Help!

:(

Mogs

EDITED TO ADD:

Saoirse was not sedated at the vets on Friday so the fatty stool and nausea on Saturday was caused by something else.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. ramonaghan

ramonaghan Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I wish I had advice and could repay the kind help and support you've given Henry and me in the past. Please know that you and your dear girl are in my thoughts and prayers!

3. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

You took the words right out my mouth. Thinking of you Mogs!

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Ditto, and more prayers coming!
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

OH and [​IMG] for Saoirse, when she's feeling up to it:)

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. ryanms3030

ryanms3030 Member

Im sorry to hear. We are still going through rough times and starting to think about difficult decisions. We will keep Saoirse in our thoughts and prayers

6. Critter Mom

Just went to give Saoirse her next dose of antibiotic drops. Her eye was all crusted. I gently wiped away the discharge. It is bloody and her eye is a complete MESS.

Have called the OOH service. Waiting to hear from the vet.

7. Critter Mom

Thank you so much. Keeping you, Whitey and your family in my thoughts and prayers, too.

:bighug:

8. Andy & Pimp

:(I wish there was a dislike button

Keep us updated Mogs :bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Sending Tons of vines and Prayers to you and Saoirse. Sorry you are having such a trying time.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Critter Mom

Message back from vet. Bloody discharge is from inflammation not from blood in the actual eye apparently. Keep giving Isathal eye drops. Asked what about tropicamide. Vet nurse passing on message from vet said carry on with what I was doing since vet had already seen me today. I asked about whether she could check with the vet if I could give Saoirse something for pain relief (I have some bupe). Got nowhere with that one. Apparently there is nothing more that I can do tonight. I am in despair.

Some of the discharge is bloody and some of it is yellow.

Saoirse's BG is at 12.7. I gave her 0.25IU Lantus 14 hours ago (AMPS was 13.7). I've just given her another 0.25IU dose now. (Worried to give earlier till I was sure that she was OK on the amlodipine.)

I have managed to give her a dose of ondansetron and she is eating a meal now. She got a fair bit of grub down today.

Saoirse is really growly and miserable and I can't do anything to help her. I know she's in pain. This is worse than the pancreatitis flare. At least then I could give her some pain relief.

I feel so helpless. And frustrated. And very scared. I am utterly, utterly out of my depth here.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  11. Critter Mom

Thank you, Andy and Peg. :bighug:

Andy & Pimp likes this.
  12. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Mogs

Sadly I have no words of wisdom for you at this time, but do know that I am sending many, many prayers and healing vines for both you and Saoirse

:bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

That ketone meter can't come soon enough.

14. Critter Mom

@Tuxedo Mom -

I'll gratefully take the prayers and healing vines, Mary Ann. Thank you. :bighug:

15. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Mogs, I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but you're doing great. You're doing all you can, and that's all that can be done. You're being there and loving her, and she knows that. :cat:. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

16. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

This is so very sad to read and I know it is so terrible to be going through. I wish I lived near you because I'd be over in a flash.
    I know this is so hard, but is it time to think about letting go? It is all about quality of life and what the future looks like for our kids when they get so sick.
    I don't mean to upset you... sending hugs and prayers.
    Pepper and the kitties

17. Critter Mom

@Sparkle - I know you mean well, but I did find your post very upsetting.

EDITED TO ADD:

Actually, I am furious!

18. Andy & Pimp

It sounds like the vet thinks everything is as expected. It seems like if she wasn't in pain you both could deal with this much better. If only you knew it was ok to give her the bupe! Are you worried about interactions with her other medications?

19. Critter Mom

Yes, Andy. I asked the vet nurse to ring the vet back to ask if it was OK to give Saoirse some buprenorphine but she refused the request.

20. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

since you have the bupe and have experience with it.... I would give it myself .
    I just would not go over 0.3 mL ....
    at least give her 0.1mL ....

adding prayers and truckloads of vines.....
    and hugs....
    remember that sometimes they get sick, intensely, but with treatment, improve................

Critter Mom and Andy & Pimp like this.
  21. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

btw, mine was on bupe 2x a day.... she just took a tiny dose for her arthritis and lymphoma.

obviously, Saoirse is in pain....
    you know her Best!

eta:
    isn't this why we keep old medications.... in case we need them.

jayla-n-Drevon and Critter Mom like this.
  22. Nancy & Cootie (GA)

Nancy & Cootie (GA) Member

(((((Mogs))))) (((((Saoirse))))) I have no experience or words of wisdom but am sending continued thoughts and prayers for you both. You are a wonderful, loving mom to your furbaby!

Critter Mom likes this.
  23. Critter Mom

... as proven when Saoirse had the dreadful pancreatitis flare in 2014. Thank you for helping us then, Rhiannon, and thank you for helping us now. :bighug:

24. Andy & Pimp

What I was thinking is that in the US (most) of our pharmacists are quite educated and know more about drug interactions than (human) doctors do. I have no idea if their knowledge could extend into pet-specific medications or not, but it might be worth a shot for peace of mind.
    Is there a 24 hour pharmacy you could ring and mabye they would be able to tell you if it's safe?

Edit to add: Short of that, I would continue to badger the emergency vet for an answer.

@Blamethecats and Hannah I don't see Mogs giving up anytime soon.ever.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

Thank you for knowing the nature of this beast, Andy (and perhaps go back and look at the addition I made to one of my earlier posts ... and I'll have more words to say on the subject later. :mad:)

Andy & Pimp likes this.
  26. Andy & Pimp

27. Critter Mom

As if! ;)

28. Bama

Bama Member

You and Saoirse have been in my thoughts. I'm sorry to hear you are both having such a rough time.

I don't have any experience with a veterinary ophthalmologist but I have been to a neuro-ophthalmologist for myself several times in past few months for increased intraocular pressure. There are a few different types of tonometers that can be used to measure intraocular pressure (the wikipedia page on tonometry is interesting but might be more information than you want right now). For people the most common test done during a typical eye exam uses a puff of air to measure the pressure. Another common test for humans uses eye drops to numb the eye so a device can be placed against the cornea to measure the pressure.

I was curious about what kind of test a veterinary ophthalmologist would use and after some searching I found a third type of test I had never encountered before. Here is one of the few videos I found of a cat being tested with a Tonovet tonometer:

I also found a video of an owl which I thought was fascinating and much better than the cat video. This video shows a close up of the meter in action:

Sorry about the huge videos in the middle of the thread! Just pasting the link caused the videos to embed and I have no idea how to disable it.

Hugs, love, thoughts, vines, scritches, and snuggles to you and Saoirse!

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Oh, Mogs. I'm so sorry you're having another bad night with Saoirse. I would keep calling the OOH and try to find out about the bupe - there has to be something you can do for the pain she's in and bupe is often the safest option, but I just don't know enough about the interactions with other meds to be certain. You are doing everything you possibly can for your baby - none of this is anything you've done or not done, but for the vet to refuse to help you get Saoirse out of pain overnight is just unforgivable. It should be an easy enough question for any qualified vet to answer for you! I'm here if you need help staying awake again - just let me know. I'm sorry I wasn't here earlier when all this happened - other things to do for a few hours unfortunately, but if I'd known earlier I'd have been right here.

Hugs and healing vines headed your way. And no, never ever give up! You and Saoirse will get through this - I know you will. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  30. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Mogs, would you post all the medications?
    I'll text Marje who will probably know if there could be an interaction.....
    see if she can jump on and give input.....

Andy & Pimp likes this.
  31. manxcat419

This is all I could find searching quickly http://www.drugs.com/answers/what-are-the-problems-when-taking-amlodipine-and-395650.html From reading it through, it sounds as though you'd need to monitor for signs of low blood pressure. If it was me, I would be inclined to giving the smallest dose of bupe you can that works for her - just enough to get her out of pain - but it would mean checking to see how she's doing. I also know you must still be beyond exhausted after the last few days, but at least it does look as though it might be an option if you think you can do it. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  32. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Mogs)))

All I can tell you is that our CKD kitty was on a low dose of amlodipine once daily and also took a low maintenance dose of bupe bid. He was a large cat and only had CKD and arthritis. The high BP from the CKD and which was never more than 180, responded very well to his amlodipine dose. He never had any interactions.

As much as I wish I could help, I'm not a vet, Saoirse has much more going on than he did, and ECID. I could never forgive myself if something happened to her just because I said my cat took it with no problems. When you are dealing with these many issues and an opioid, I just think a vet has to be helping you to coordinate these drugs and treatments.

You know I would do anything for you and Saoirse but I can't put her at danger with my limited knowledge.

Many prayers and hugs.

Fi & Archie and Critter Mom like this.
  33. Critter Mom

This is a superb idea. As luck would have it, I was thinking along similar lines yesterday. In our home town in Ireland there was an absolutely brilliant pharmacist. He would come out personally to brief customers in all key aspects of the current Rx and how it would interact with their other meds. Also, he was always delighted to answer any questions you had about drugs and he was a walking pharmaceutical encyclopaedia. I wonder whether our local pharmacy might be able to help me? Or possibly the online pharmacy I get Saoirse's ondasetron from ... (They're the ones that advised me about the best generic for cats.)

manxcat419 likes this.
  34. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers, hugs, and healing vines for you and Saoirse.
    Mogs,
    Saoirse knows how much you lover her and that you are doing everything possible for her.

Critter Mom likes this.
  35. Andy & Pimp

If they have a 24hr line, that would be my first try.

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. manxcat419

It would definitely be worth trying any possible avenue for information you can get quickly Mogs. If there is someone there who can give you a definite answer, that would make it all so much easier for you to know what to do to help her the best. :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  37. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Yes, it is entirely possible that Saoirse has lost her sense of smell. Try smearing a bit of food on Saoirse's lips..just a dab, enough she can drag her tongue across her vaso-motor organ at the roof of her mouth.

Can you combine several of her meds in a bit of catsoup and syringe it into her mouth? To get it all in at one try, instead of having to administer each med separately? And try pureeing her food, in case you haven't already. Dip your finger in, and coax her to lick.

From the description of the stools I would say she's got colitis right now..probably a reaction to the meds. She's really getting pasted what with all that she's going through...and the colitis is likely a stress reaction . But just in case she's picked up some kind of bug, be careful to wash your hands thoroughly after you even come near her feces...some of those bugs can jump species from cat to human.

And yes, I'm sorry, Mogs..but Saoirse is probably hurting, psychologically if not physically. She's really done with feeling lousy and that will work against her, it's a vicious circle. If she DOES have glaucoma, glaucoma is painful..like a headache. Pain is caused by the pressure. Would Saoirse allow you to hold a cool compress over her eyes? Cut a washcloth up so it isn't HUGE..and wring it out well. Scritch her under her chin, and apply the compress. She's getting antihistimine drops, right? I didn't look those up.

Here's another link to feline hypertension. The symptoms appear to be spot on for Saoirse..please give it a looksee. And of course blood pressure is affected by stress.

Here's something you can try. Place your hand over your cat, but don't touch her. You want your hand to be about an inch above her fur. Concentrate on warming your hand, with the heat radiating from your palm, to her body. Saoirse's attention will go to your hand, along with curiosity that you aren't touching or doing anything to her. This can have a calming effect because it will break her concentration about feeling lousy. If she focuses on you, she won't be dwelling on herself.

Another possibility: Here's a link to a virtual metronome. Sound can do many things for the body..including helping it to keep in step. If you set the metronome to move at a pace slightly lower than Saoirse's current heartbeat, and her heart may actually slow down to 'keep in step' with the metronome. This may in turn reduce her BP. Turn your volume until you can just hear the beat, you don't want it real loud.

Now, on to you. It's imperative you keep calm because Saoirse can smell that you're upset. Can you take a quick shower to get the scent of past hours' tension off your skin? Ok, do you have any vanilla in the house? Dab a bit of it on your temples and wrists. It may help both you and Saoirse to relax. Wash fingers afterwards so you don't get any into Saoirse.

Any hot chocolate? Drink it. Dim the lights, sit down and put your feet up. Try to snooze in 20 minute intervals, and set an alarm that will GENTLY wake you up...you must sleep even if you don't want to. You'll be no good to Saoirse if you're passed out.

If you can't sleep, close your eyes and imagine you are lying in the sun, with a gentle breeze going. FEEL that sun. HEAR the breeze. Veg out. It's the next best thing to sleep.

Wish I could help you more. Please try the mentronome..and keep the sound LOW..just barely audible. If you have a smartphone you can place it about two feet away, let it tick, and it won't drive you crazy while soothing her.

Big hugs to you, Moglet. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:We all wish we could be there to support you. We're with you, and Saoirse in spirit.

38. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Yeah, me neither! Just wanted to offer encouragement and quell one of the posts made prior to mine. Enough said.

Critter Mom and Andy & Pimp like this.
  39. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

I know you mean well, but I did find your post very upsetting.

EDITED TO ADD:

Actually, I am furious!

I meant no harm and I apologize profusely for causing you more pain when you are already having such a difficult time. Sending you strength.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  40. Andy & Pimp

41. Critter Mom

It's both high and low blood pressure I'm worried about, April. That's what is making this so frelling difficult. Some of the meds she normally takes may raise BP and that would be completely counterproductive. I need to find a way through the next couple of days till I can measure her BP at home and get as much of her supportive regimen back in place as possible. Doppler unit is due tomorrow but I need to desensitize her to the cuff and coupler. I wish they would have measured her BP on Saturday at home. She was in much better shape then and they'd probably have got a valid reading and spared both of us the awfulness that was Saturday night. If she didn't get so stressy at the vets I'd actually consider asking them to hospitalize her to try to get a picture of what's going on so that we can work out a dose of the amlodipine that will help her without harming her. I think perhaps the 1/6 tablet dose wore off too soon but she had quite a significant response to even the small dose. I wonder whether smaller doses twice a day would be safer (bit like insulin)?

I'm going to ask my friend to pick up some Feliway tomorrow to see if that might help a bit.

Thanks for the link, too, April. I'll read it through in the morning.

manxcat419 likes this.
  42. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: I wish I could offer more than peace love and healing light.... we are sending it all....

Critter Mom likes this.
  43. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and healing vines to you. I wish I could offer more.

Critter Mom likes this.
  44. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Mogs, I just did a quick check on drug interactions for amlodipine and Bupenorphine and you are spot on in regards to BP. Bupe can lower BP too so until you find a suitable dose of amlodipine for Saoirse where she is not showing any signs low BP such as being lightheaded, dizzy or fainting, Bupe just wouldn't be safe. Unfortunately, Saoirse may have a headache which can make one feel miserable, and grumpy but as you say, you don't want to complicate the current situation. Maybe cold compresses or some very light top of head and temple rubs would help her a bit. It stinks that these little critters have so few options for pain relief! :banghead::banghead::( Continuing to send soothing and healing thoughts and prayers! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: for you both!

Critter Mom likes this.
  45. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

I would not think she would have the right to do that, call the Vet and ask again, and tell them you are the one in charge of your bably, not the nurse? You want to hear the Dr's opinion, not hers. Ask for something different than the bupe that does not cause interactions

Andy & Pimp and Critter Mom like this.
  46. Critter Mom

Now that could be a possible way forward - and a possible reason why this occurred. Saoirse's pancreatitis symptoms had eased greatly in the past few weeks and I had tapered her off the bupe because she didn't need the pain relief for the GI issues. I think you may very well have found the culprit. Perhaps the bupe was having an occult benefit in terms of blood pressure. Also, in my reading yesterday IIRC I saw a warming about stopping blood pressure lowering medications in that doing so might cause a surge in blood pressure levels. Never for a minute would I have made that connection without tonight's input from both yourself and April (@manxcat419). Add to that the fact that Saoirse was receiving Piriton which, as I discovered over the weekend, carries a caution about its use in patients with hypertension that tends to lend support to the hypothesis that the bupe withdrawal may have triggered this whole sorry mess.

It's definitely something to go back to the vet with in the morning.

Linda and April, thank you both for giving me a lead - and a possible way forward; and one which may see Saoirse more comfortable tomorrow.

:bighug::bighug:

Mogs

EDITED TO ADD:

@MrWorfMen's Mom, @manxcat419 -

Another thing: buprenorphine dilates the pupils. Maybe that could have been protecting Saoirse's eyes. I wonder whether Saoirse has glaucoma. IIRC I think I saw mention somewhere this evening online that pancreatitis may be a factor in its development, but I can't remember where I saw the reference. If glaucoma is the issue, then tropicamide may be contraindicated.

47. MrWorfMen's Mom

Fingers crossed the mystery is closer to being solved and resolution is on the horizon! More hugs, healing thoughts and prayers on their way! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  48. Critter Mom

@rhiannon and shadow (GA) - Thank you for contacting Marje. Much appreciated. :bighug:

@Marje and Gracie -

Thanks for this very helpful information. It is good to know that it is possible to co-administer amlodipine and bupe safely. It's a piece of the puzzle and historically I have found that learning about treatment regimens that other caregivers are treating their pets with successfully has given me avenues of exploration which yielded results for Saoirse that have by and large been more successful and safer than some of the treatments she has been prescribed as standard. For example, Saoirse was prescribed mirtazapine and I was given no warning whatsoever that it can induce serotonin syndrome. (She had an adverse reaction.) Also, she was prescribed metoclopramide for nausea when I wanted ondansetron for her. Eventually the vet agreed to issue the Rx for the latter but it meant that Saoirse's recovery from the severe pancreatitis flare was delayed for weeks. It was only when she got the ondansetron that she made real progress. I got the ondansetron recommendation here. (Thank you, FDMB.)

That is what I would expect, too, Marje. Unfortunately I don't have that support available to me at present. (Example: Saoirse was prescribed Tramadol when she was already taking ondansetron: there is a major interaction between them. Even a feline medicine specialist insisted I give her a dose of bupe nearly 3 times what she could tolerate, insisting she knew best. The second dose at this level made Saoirse really ill. There is such an absence of joined-up thinking and very little listening to the caregiver among many vets this side of the pond.

I do know you'd do anything to help us, Marje (and you do!). I also know that you would never do anything to risk even the tip of one of her smallest whiskers. :) But through sharing your experience you're helping her mama bean to learn about possibilities to research and her mama bean is very grateful. Very grateful for the prayers and hugs, too. :bighug::bighug:

Mogs

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  49. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sometimes, these things look the worst right before they start to get better....I will continue praying and hoping that this is happening for your dear Saoirse

Critter Mom likes this.
  50. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{Hugs}} ... and lots of them.

Critter Mom likes this.
  51. Critter Mom

Thank you for this post, Chris. I'm about to sign off for the night and I'm going to hold onto that thought for dear life. Thank you for your continued prayers for my beloved girl. :bighug:

Mogs

52. Critter Mom

Thank you, BJ. Here are some for you, too. :bighug::bighug:

53. Marje and Gracie

Agree....many hugs to hold you both tight.

54. Critter Mom

And many hugs for you, Marje. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

55. Critter Mom

Thank you to everyone who has posted thoughtful, caring and supportive messages for us tonight. Haven't the words to adequately express how grateful I am for the way you are helping us. I'm sorry I didn't get time to reply separately to all the messages. Please know that 'Like' = "Thank you from the bottom of my heart." You are doing so much to help me keep going.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Mogs

56. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Seeing the veterinary Ophthalmologist is the best course of action. As an optometrist I would refer a human patient urgently to ophthalmologist if they presented with Saroise's symptoms.

You are right about tropicamide being contraindicated in Glaucoma, but it is not as simple as that, glaucoma is raised intra ocular pressure, but there are different reasons that this may arise. In Saroise's case the reason for the tropicamide is to prevent adhesions forming between the iris and the intra ocular lens, this can happen when there is a bleed and inflammation, if we allow the adhesions to form the aqueous fluid in the eye cannot circulate properly and drainage is inhibited causing a rise in intra ocular pressure, secondary glaucoma, ie it is secondary to the inflammation and/or bleed.
    There is a type of glaucoma called angle closure glaucoma in this type of glaucoma (in humans at any rate) the anatomy of the individuals eye is such that when their pupils dilate, the iris bunches up and blocks the drainage channel and this causes the intra ocular pressure to rise, it is in this type of glaucoma that tropicamide, which dilates the pupil, is contraindicated. I have no idea if the same is true in cats, or if their ocular anatomy is different.

The tropicamide will only affect the treated eye unless you are accidentally getting it into that eye, you know if it dribbles on her face or something? Could her other meds be causing the eye to dilate?? I have a feeling the amlodipine might, but would have to check.

The black spots is a bit vague, could be any number of things, many humans do have totally benign black spots in their eyes. Try not to worry about it till you see the Ophthalmologist.

Hope that helps:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  57. MalsGiGi

MalsGiGi Member

Sending many hugs and prayers for you both!! You have been so helpful and encouraging to my Ceasar. I hope to hear good news today!!

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mogs, I wish I knew more so that I could help! I'm so grateful that there have been folks on here who were able to give some information.

Just know that I am sending you hugs all day long. I think of you and Saoirse often, so if you ever feel lonely, know that I am thinking of you from across the pond!

No need to ever reply personally Mogs. We all know what the likes mean...please don't feel you have to say a thing to us. We just want you to know we are here for you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  59. Critter Mom

We've had a bit of a break: The opthalmologist has an opening this afternoon due to a cancellation so she is going to see Saoirse today. Were it not for the cancellation it would have been more than four weeks before I could get an appointment.

If that's not down to all the prayer and positive energy you are all sending to us, I don't know what is. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Mogs

60. Critter Mom

It certainly does, Gill; it most certainly does. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help! :bighug:

Mogs

61. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Woot! Good luck,Mogs and Saoirse! And the blood pressure monitor comes today too!

62. Jeanne

Jeanne Member

Wish I could do something to help. But way out my line here. Just wanted you to no I am praying for you and your dear kitty. I keep reading waiting for for your baby to feel better. Hugs and prayers to you both.

Critter Mom likes this.
  63. manxcat419

If anyone here deserves some good luck right now, it's you. Fingers and paws crossed for some good news at Saoirse's appointment. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

64. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Mogs, my thoughts are with you and Saoirse, right now. Unfortunately, Noah is sticking his tongue out at you from the other side of the bridge, now; he passed yesterday afternoon. Big Hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    - Viveca

65. Marje and Gracie

Many prayers for answers at the opthamologist today!! Great news!

66. atajev

atajev Member

Oh, I just saw these threads! Mogs, I'm so sorry you have so much on your shoulders at this moment. I'm so impressed with how you're holding up and everything you're doing to keep Saoirse as comfortable as possible as you simultaneously work how how to get her through it. Strength and hugs! She's certainly as luck to have you as I'm sure you are to have her.

67. Bama

Bama Member

FOUR WEEKS!!!! Wow! I'm so glad you could get in today. I hope you get more good news today!

68. Ferndoc

Ferndoc Member

Mogs I can't offer any advice but I don't know anything. I will just send more hugs.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

69. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Thinking about you and Saoirse. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

70. MrWorfMen's Mom

All fingers and paws crossed here too! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

71. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

So..:bighug: How is Saoirse this evening, Mogs? We

are all anxiously waiting to hear what the opthamologist says.

And how are you doing,too? Everyone has fingers, toes, and everything else, crossed that the appointment went well and tha Saoirse is resting up. Iam very concerned for your state of health as well. Are you eating? Getting a little anxious now because it should be about 10 pm there. I can only hope it means you have slept, and not something more ominous.

Maggies Mom Debby likes this.
  72. Critter Mom

In the early part of today Saoirse was a bit more comfortable. She actually wanted to be on the sofa and had a nice nap in her little bedouin tent. She enjoyed her meals. By the time we got to the hospital this afternoon Saoirse's eye was terribly swollen.

The opthalmology specialist is fantastic. She took a full history, was very appreciative of all the clinical history and observational data that I provided. She is confident without any trace of arrogance. She is caring and considerate while being completely truthful and realistic. She listened to me and both respected and took on board my input.

After her examination the opthalmologist confirmed that it is glaucoma. The pressure in it is enormous and therefore very painful. She thinks there was already a problem in Saoirse's right eye and perhaps a blood pressure surge may have triggered the bleeding. Her left eye does have dark spots but the opthalmologist thinks they're stable and from a very long time in the past.

As we all know, Saoirse's current predicament is untenable. The specialist presented me with three choices:

1. Try medication with no realistic hope of successful treatment and a lot of distress for Saoirse in the meantime. (It would not occur to me to entertain such an option.)

2. Take the view that Saoirse has had a 'good innings' and let her go now.

3. Give the opthalmologist a chance to remove the eye with the risk that, given Saoirse's age, she may not make it through the operation, or the post-op recovery - but also with a real chance of returning Saoirse to her previously stable status and giving her more time to live an enjoyable and contented life.

We discussed Saoirse's blood work and the specialist said it is good - especially considering Saoirse's issues - and she said I have done very well for my girl. In particular she commented on Saoirse's renal markers and said that CKD-wise she was happy with the results. She does not think CKD-related issues caused this. She thinks there was an underlying problem in the right eye but the left eye is not a worry (intraocular pressure well within normal limits and nothing else of worry). She asked about Saoirse's treatment regimen and looked to accommodate her exact needs. I brought in some of Saoirse's food so that she will be able to eat OK tonight and tomorrow.

We fully discussed the options. I have chosen to give Saoirse the chance. She is a little miracle and there will only ever be one of her; her life is very precious.

In making my decision I was able to take into account how really well she has been doing and that she has been in such good form - happy and enjoying being alive - prior to the eye problem. I also told the opthalmologist that if it had been the case where Saoirse had, say, late stage renal issues I would have made a different decision. The opthalmologist agrees with my reasoning and supports my choice. I know she would have told me point blank if she thought there was no hope at all that she might be able to help Saoirse. I am very glad that I got the referral to her. If there is a chance for Saoirse then I am completely confident that she is in the care of the woman who can give her that chance. She really cares and wants to do all she can to help my girl. Her roster was already full for tomorrow but she is going to work extra hours to treat Saoirse. I am profoundly grateful to her. (And I have a niggling suspicion that our main vet worked a bit of magic for us.)

I requested that they admit Saoirse tonight so that they can do everything possible to make her comfortable and to give her the best possible chance tomorrow. The facilities are first-rate. The staff are kind, friendly and really instil confidence in you. Much as it is hard not to be there with her I know Saoirse is in the best place for her right now. Saoirse is in very good and caring hands and they are looking after her well. They are able to give her the help I desperately wanted her to have last night but was unable to give. It hurt so much last night that I could not give her some bupe because I did not know whether or not it would be safe. :(

I got a call from the duty vet a short while ago to discuss Saoirse's insulin requirements. It was great to be consulted, not dictated to as the specialist at another referral centre did last year. They will be able to monitor Saoirse's blood pressure properly overnight and tomorrow. They have given Saoirse fluids and pain relief and she is resting comfortably. I am very relieved about this. She has my T-shirt to snuggle up to so she knows that I love her and that she is not alone. I brought some of Saoirse's food with me to the hospital. They are going to feed Saoirse the same way I would at home (times, amounts). I even got to explain that she can't smell food at the moment but if they let her lick a little bit off their fingers she will eat fine after that, and they're going to do that for her. They have been very kind to me, too.

Tomorrow, I am going to stay in a hotel nearby the hospital to be close to Saoirse. The owner of the local taxi firm that helps me by picking up my messages round the town is going to drive me again tomorrow so I'll have someone with me who knows and understands about my anxiety issues. (He did his best to help me not to get too agitated about the travelling today and he was very kind to me on the way back from the hospital.)

So now I wait. And I pray. I love you, Saoirse.

Mogs

73. Critter Mom

Viveca, I am so very sorry to hear about Noah ... :(
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

74. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Mogs

I just read the latest and I truly believe you are doing the right thing. You and Saoirse have weathered some major events in your past and there is no reason to stop fighting now. If sweet Saoirse should end up minus an eye, then you can get her beautiful coloured eye patches and make her a fashion diva!!!

Multitudes of prayer and a zillion tons of healing vines being sent your way. I wish I could say more, but know that my heart and prayers are all directed to you and Saoirse. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  75. Critter Mom

Thank you all so much for being here for us, for your prayers and healing thoughts. Can't really write much now - in a bit of a daze, but with a heart full of love for my beautiful girl.

Don't know what I'd do without you.

76. manxcat419

Oh Mogs :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

I know how distressing this news must have been for you to hear. FWIW, I think you're doing the right thing in giving Saoirse every possible chance. She had been doing well until this point and there's no reason to think that she can't go back to being your happy little lovebug once this is dealt with.

I'm so happy that the opthalmologist is so caring and is going to work extra hours to give your baby the best possible chance - THAT is the sort of care you and Saoirse need. And that they're not trying to dictate to you on her insulin needs - you have those under control, so it's much better that they go with what you know works instead of what they think.

Hugs, prayers, healing vines and healing white light are headed to you and Saoirse, and will be continuing until Saoirse is through this and recovered. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  77. Viveca and Noah

Viveca and Noah Member

Thank you, Mogs. I wish Saoirse and you the best of luck, tomorrow. She sounds like she is in the very best hands, possible. :bighug::bighug:

78. Andy & Pimp

You already know you made the right choice so no one needs to tell you that:)

I'm thrilled that she is getting such wonderful care and you are able to stress a bit less tonight. I hope you can get some good rest because we all know you won't leave her side the moment she's home.

Continuing to send hugs, prayers and vines

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

79. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so happy to hear you have such confidence in this new vet!! It's so wonderful to hear that you're so pleased with everyone at this office and that they really seem to listen and care about Saoirse!!

I think you made a good decision about treatment too. She deserves this chance and I think it's well worth the risk...especially considering the vet is pleased with how she's doing otherwise

Sleep peacefully dear Saoirse and relax....We'll take care of your mama as best we can until you're home again with her!

80. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It sounds like you have done exactly the best thing for Saoirse. She is in good hands, with people who clearly are going to care for her. Thinking of you both and hoping all goes well, Mogs.

Critter Mom likes this.
  81. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

:bighug:Oh Mogs..our prayers are with you and Saoirse. You know her better than anyone, so you know her current condition, minus the new crisis from glaucoma. If it's meant to be, your baby will survive. I'm pinning my hope on the belief that she'll make it.

:bookworm:It's good that you are being treated like someone who knows the ropes, and not like some barely knowledgable owner who doesn't do their homework. Your observations are valuable to them. This means that Saoirse is in the best possible hands. :joyful: I'm also relieved that you have the insurance to follow through on her care. You and Saoirse are what's known as Little Buddhas. You are teaching us all a lesson in compassion, wisdom, and responsibility. I know that thanks to you, I'm coming away with a better understanding of all three.:cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  82. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Still sending purrs and prayers

Critter Mom likes this.
  83. Mum of two felines

Mum of two felines Member

Mogs my thoughts and prayers are with you and Saoirse. Take care tonight and get extra rest! I'm glad you have found what was distressing her and that you have a wonderful specialist helping you!

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  84. Critter Mom

She's different gear altogether, Chris. She really knows her stuff so there's no need for her to do a holier-than-thou number on her clients. She exudes competence from every pore.

Fi & Archie and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  85. MrWorfMen's Mom

Oh Mogs, I am so happy to hear Saoirse is in loving caring hands in which you have full confidence (they sound like a wonderful group of people) and that she is being given a chance to regain her quality of life. I can only imagine how difficult it was to hear those options but you've made the right decision. She's a fighter and she's got you to help her through this! Make sure you rest up and get some food into you so you're well rested when Saoirse gets home. Sending more healing thoughts and prayers to you both! Seriously big hugs coming....... smiley-happy065.gif smiley-happy065.gif smiley-happy065.gif smiley-happy065.gif

86. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Dear Mogs,
    I am so sorry you and Saoirse are having to go through all this. It must be a great worry to you but to know she is in such capable hands must be a great comfort to you.
    Sending a ton of successful operation and get better vines across the seas to Saoirse.
    You will both be in my thoughts :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Bron

Critter Mom likes this.
  87. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

YES! Mogs, eat something healthy and go to bed!

88. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Get some rest Mogs... she is in good hands... many thoughts and prayers to you and your sweet baby :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  89. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Mogs,

I can relate to your elation in finding a self assured no-nonsense vet that can lay it all out for you, so that you can move forward with Saoirse's treatment plan. When my regular vet referred me to the Purdue Veterinary Teaching Hospital after he exhausted all possibilities in diagnosing Peek-a-Boo, I was excited and hopeful to speak with an "expert" who could give us the answers we so desperately needed after 9 long months of deteriorating health. I, like you, poured out this long history and laundry list of things I observed and possibilities I had in mind (thanks you all of you FABULOUS fdmb folks!!), only to be partially heard and given the response that it MUST be the wrong insulin and finding the right dose...and why jump the gun with other tests when it was simply the insulin. Mogs, I felt like we had taken a step backward...Peek-a-boo had so many other symptoms that really screamed acro. Fortunately, my subsequent visits to Purdue have been wonderful...the gal that finally diagnosed Peek-a-Boo with acromegaly had that confidence exuding out of every pore that you spoke about.

Although I was saddened to get confirmation for acro, I left that facility with my head held high because I was no longer riddled with self-doubt in my thoughts and care of him, and I now have a guide to help me along that I trust. My regular vet is wonderful, don't get me wrong, but he was in unfamiliar territory.

A few have stated that they agree with your decision, and for the record, I too, agree....not that it matters...but you are supported !

I'm sending prayers that Saoirse doesn't have to lose an eye because they are so so beautiful...but Peeks would tell you eyes aren't a necessity...especially when she has THE. BEST. MOM. EVER. who will keep her safe no matter what.

Enjoy this night of sleep...you won't need to have one eye open. Safe travels tomorrow and we look forward to hearing from you then...

Hugs :bighug::bighug::bighug:

90. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Hey Mogs, I'm so happy that you have an explanation and that you're being treated so well by the opthamalogist and their staff. I'm glad your taxi driver is such a nice person. You're doing everything right. I wish I could be there to give you a nice big hug! But this will have to do....:bighug::bighug::bighug:

I'll say a prayer for all of you. I'd also like to suggest that to help calm yourself , you take a nice warm bubble bath and enjoy a cup of tea or glass of wine. :cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  91. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Mogs, have you got a heating pad? :coffee: Plop it on your tummy...all this stress has got to be messing with your gut. My stomach just shuts DOWN and won't digest anything when I'm stressed...they had to prescribe Reglan for me to kick start it.

So far no tics...but trust me...that heat pad went a long way to keep my insides functional before the Reglan. So I know it'll help you if your gut's getting grizzly.

And take Saoirse's little ear sock and plop it between your eyes if you have a tension headache. :woot: You can heat it, or put it in a plastic baggie and toss it in the freezer for a bit. Saoirse won't mind.:cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  92. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

We're so glad to hear from you, Mogs. We've been watching here all day, hoping for an encouraging update. How wonderful that you found a terrific doctor to care for Saoirse. Can't ask for more than that!! I agree with the choice you made for your fur baby. Now, get some good rest, knowing that Saoirse is in good hands and getting the very best of care. We all look forward to more encouraging news from you. So here's another big hug and more powerful prayers on their way to you. You are amazing!
    1261376ylvpk9j2x5.gif

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  93. Jan Radar (GA)

Jan Radar (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm thinking about you tonight and all the stress you've been under lately. Try to breathe and know that you and Saoirse are surrounded with all the positive energy I can channel in your direction. and of course a few of these :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

94. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Mogs you know you made the right decision! I'm glad you are giving Saoirse the chance. You are such a great mama bean!! Let us know how things go and know the good thoughts and healing vines won't stop!!! Hugs!

95. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Mogs, so glad you've found a vet you trust-that is priceless! Sending prayers and healing vines :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  96. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

So glad this specialist treats you with respect. Sounds like you and Saoirse are in the right hands. Try to get some rest tonight so you are in tip top shape tomorrow for Saoirse. Hugs and prayers for you.

Critter Mom likes this.
  97. Marje and Gracie

This is such great news, Mogs, that you now have a dx, a vet you really trust, a plan, and can move forward. This is excellent.

Sending a ton of prayers and I hope hope hope you can sleep tonight.

[​IMG]

98. Anitafrnhamer

Anitafrnhamer Member

Critter Mom likes this.
  99. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Mogs, prayers and healing vines:bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  100. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Oh Mogs, I'm so sorry you and Saoirse have been having such a painful, scary time of it. Wish I was there to help and to give hugs. I like the sound of your specialist, she sounds awesome! Not many vets will work extra time for a client, and she obviously knows her stuff. I think you have made exactly the right choice for Saoirse, and I will pray that she comes through her surgery with flying colors! Between you and the opthalmologist, Saoirse is in the best possible hands. Prayers, prayers and more prayers, and all the healing vibes I can send! and of course, the hugs - always the hugs! (((HUGS))) I hope you can get some rest so you have a chance to recharge your energy. You are the best cat mama I've ever met, Mogs, and in the case of terrible adversity you stand tall and strong, even though you don't realize it.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.