Saoirse's Convalescence - Update: Wed 17 Feb 23:45 GMT

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Critter Mom, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Greetings from the infirmary. Here's a pic of Saoirse ensconced in her semi-padded cell:

[​IMG]

Prisoner: Cell Block H

The 'added extras' are little paper cushions that I wrapped around all the places on the cage body where there are wire terminations so that neither Saoirse nor her collar can get snagged on them.

Saoirse is such a good little patient! I'm really struggling with her temporary incarceration. I'd love to have her snuggled up beside me but after all that my little Munchkin has been through I don't want to do anything to risk her catching her wound while it's healing and having her need further veterinary intervention. Granted I could lift her out for a while and keep her closely supervised but that might alter the current, highly beneficial status quo. Normally she gets very agitated if she is cooped up (e.g. in a travel carrier) but at the moment she is quite calmly accepting of her temporary confinement. I think that if I were to start taking her out of the resting cage for part of the time she might start getting frustrated and therefore stressed when she is repeatedly returned to solitary when she doesn't want to go. Needless to say I want to keep her stress levels to an absolute minimum in order to assist her recovery. Snuggles will have to wait.

Saoirse's eating OK (anti-jinx, anti-jinx). I take her out of her coop and remove the collar to let her eat. She is getting full on a smaller amount now and I worry about getting enough grub into her. Saoirse not having access to food while I try to rest has been a big problem so I've ordered one of the small raised bowls that @Jeanne & Dottie posted pics of a few days ago. It's the nearest thing I could find on Amazon UK to the raised bowl that @Tricia & Cinco & Harvey recommended in an earlier thread. (Thank you both for the steer!) I am hoping it will leave Saoirse able to get her mouth to the food in the bowl while the collar goes round it. Saoirse's wound seems to be healing OK (anti-jinx, anti-jinx) so if she can eat from the bowl with her Cone of Shame in place I will be able to leave some food available for her to graze while I'm trying to get some sleep.

Saoirse's playpen arrived today. :) I'm hoping to set it up for her tomorrow or the day after. It's a good size. I really hope she will like it. I'll post a pic when I get it sorted.

I am insanely fatigued and all my muscles and joints feel like they're burning. I have never felt this exhausted in my whole lifetime (and there have been majorly stressy times in my past that wiped me out big time, but never like this). I already have chronic fatigue issues after the years of PTSD-driven disordered, non-restorative sleep but recent events have left me utterly flattened. I'm really having trouble getting vertical; my knees are like jelly. I wish I had more energy. I feel like I'm not doing enough for my beloved girl. I'm still only giving insulin once a day. :(

Today's Vital Statistics:

AMPS: 8.3/149 (Alphatrak) / Beta-ketones: 0.4mmol/L (human meter)

Lantus Dose: Mid-line Zero.

Fed at AMPS and +3 today.

AM+5: 9.2/166 (+2 postprandial).

That's all the news that's fit to print. Need more zzzzzzzzzzz's.

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You have been through a lot lately and it is understandable why you feel completely worn out. You also need to take care of yourself. Get plenty of rest, eat balanced meals and take a good multivitamin. It won't happen overnight, but you should start to have more energy in few days if you take care of yourself.

3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Mogs, so glad that Saoirse is doing so well! She looks adorable in her 'cell'! Now that's she's doing better, time to take care of yourself. Get some rest and good food so you can your energy levels back up.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

@Lisa and Witn (GA) -

Apart from tending to Saoirse and biological necessities I'm spending the rest of the time pretty much horizontal. My new laptop is proving to be a very useful purchase indeed. I am managing to eat with help from a good friend and my excellent cabbies. Thank you for suggesting the multivitamin, Lisa; it's a great idea and one I would not have thought of. I must look on Amazon for something (got Prime - fastest way for me to get some).

Mogs

Jeanne & Dottie likes this.
  5. Blamethecats and Hannah

Blamethecats and Hannah Member

Mogs, all things considered, I think everything is going very well for Saoirse. And what a great picture of her!! She looks good from where I'm sitting! You are doing a great job of caring for her. You seem to think of everything. I wish my mind worked like that, so kudos to you. I'm continuing to send prayers for continued progress, and those prayers include your health and well-being, too. Just keep doing the best you can. It seems to be working. No one else could do better. And go right ahead and get some more sleep. You need all you can get and I'm pretty sure if Saoirse could comment on that, she'd agree. Thanks for all the great updates. We really appreciate your taking time the time to keep us informed. Now... get some ZZZZZZZZZs! And sweet dreams!

6. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

I am so delighted to see how well Saoirse is doing. I think she realizes that it's best for her to be in her cage. When my Harvey had his biopsy, we had to keep him in a cage only slightly bigger than yours. I was certain he'd go nuts, as he can't handle being confined to one room, let alone a cage. Amazingly, he was very good the entire two weeks he was in there! I think he understood.

I'm glad you found that bowl I just saw it the other day and meant to send you a link to it but forgot. I'm glad someone else. I ordered two, just in case someone here ends up in a cone, and they came quickly. They are fairly sturdy, so I think it will do the trick.
    Now that Saoirse has safe, comfy accommodations, you need to get busy taking care of you!!!!

Sending lots of vines and prayers and :bighug::bighug::bighug:s.

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

8. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Poor little jail "bird". :(. I once had to keep my dog confined for 2 weeks due to an injury, it hurts your heart. Take care of yourself Mogs!:cat:

Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

What an adorable picture and she looks great. Sending more healing energy for you both.

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Ohhh she looks so GOOD, Mogs!:bighug: And you've done a stellar job of padding that cage! It looks quite comfortable aside from the fact that it's of necessity a confinement.

But I know the new cage will be even better for her, and you both. Ack..:banghead:I never have much luck with clothespins. Whenever I go near one it pops off whatever it's holding, and everything comes apart.

Saoirse looks so cute in her 'necklace' cone..she wears it well, with dignity. Actually it looks a lot like a variation of a man's starched, Victorian collar. And the shaved part of her skin isn't all that prominent. Being a black kitty means she has dark skin..so the shaved area doesn't look so nakey bald. AND...She has such a sweet face. :cat: We'll have to have a contest to design her an eyepatch..something with long feminine eyelashes on it, maybe?:D

Glad you ordered the bowl. On another note, if you turn that bowl upside down, you have a nice stable water bowl. It might do double duty for getting around Saoirse's collar too. Not sure, it's just a thought..it would be extremely stable and not apt to tip over.

Mogs, sounds like you have some fibromyalgia in addition to your PTSD. Have you ever asked your doctor about that possiblity?

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

Poor baby, but she really does look cute in there and like she feels pretty good.

Critter Mom likes this.
  12. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

What a wonderful update! I look at Saoirse and see a kitty who knows how much she is loved and even though she is not able to wander around freely right now, she knows she has a bean who will look after her every need. There is trust on that face!

The emotional upheaval of the past days have taken their toll on you and it's going to take more than a couple of calm days to get back on your feet. I'm sure those muscle/joint aches and pains are the product of all the tension and stress you've been under and it's amazing how long it takes for your muscles to finally relax. And of course having a cold in the midst of all the turmoil and worry just made the whole situation worse for you.

Mogs, you have my admiration for how you have soldiered through all this. Now be kind to yourself and keep the sofa company as much as you need to. Sending more healing vines to you both and some hugs and scritches as well! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Mogs, Saroise looks so cute in her cage, and glad that she is being a good patient, the padding looks like butterflies have landed all over it:)

I had the same problem with my dog not eating when she was the wearing the cone of shame, I had to sit with her and hand feed her until we were able to remove it, I think raising it might help her.

I am glad that I was able to help and that you found the info useful when you went for the consult, it was my pleasure to help.
    I hope that both you and Saroise slowly get back to normal, now the crisis is over.
    :bighug::bighug::bighug:

PS Prisoner Cell Block H made me giggle I remember the Australian soap, I now have the theme tune running in my head LOL

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Mogs! I was just about to post a message asking how you were doing! I'm so glad that Saoirse is feeling better. Eating, relaxing in her "cell block" and taking excellent pictures. She does look pretty happy in her cage. I'm sure the playpen will be a big hit too...can't wait to see a pic of her in it!

Please make sure you're taking care of yourself too. Saoirse needs you to feel well. I'm glad to hear that you're eating and getting rest. I know having Saoirse locked up makes it tough for you, but I think you're right to not take her out. If she is happy and comfortable, there's no need to alter things and make her feel discontented.

Still sending good appetite vines and chin scritches to Saoirse and lots of :bighug:to you!

Jeanne & Dottie likes this.
  15. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

Mogs, I'm sorry I've been mostly MIA for the last couple of days. The cold I had settled in my chest and throat and has been keeping me awake a lot of the night coughing. I've been looking in now and then to make sure Saoirse is doing OK, but mostly from my tablet, which I hate typing on unless it's an emergency. Saoirse looks remarkably content in her temporary confinement and how wonderful that her fur is growing back already. :) I really hope that you're finding time to take care of yourself as well. It really is no wonder you're exhausted after everything you've been through over the last couple of weeks, and then getting ill yourself on top of all that. But now Saoirse seems to be well on the way to recovery, it's time for you to take care of yourself as well as her and get yourself to a point where you can cope better. Vines and prayers for you to be feeling better soon and for Saoirse's continued recovery. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

16. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

What a cutie! And she seems relaxed and comfortable, even if she has to be in a cage. You've done a great job taking care of her, Mogs. Now you need to get better yourself! You need SLEEP!

17. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

She is looking very well. Testament to your great care. Can't wait to see her in the 'play pen'.

18. Critter Mom

19. tibbs5

tibbs5 Well-Known Member

(((((((Moggy))))))))
    ((((((Saoirse))))))))
    Moggy
    she looks BEAUTIFUL in her little apartment !!!!! i am sooooooooo happy she is doing well. this is the best news ever!!! now, for you sweetie. i was feeling totally exhausted myself and i started taking some supplements that helped so very much. if you want to, pm me and i can tell you what they are and where to order. Again so happy about your baby. sending love, hugs and prayers to you both.
    love you.
    Nadine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.