Scared, Confused, Lost, Worried, Part 2

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Irish Pat, Mar 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/help-scared-confused-lost-worried.227248/

Started a new thread...Hope I did it right...

Thanks to those that checked in on me, busy day working, popped in a few times just didn't have time to start a new thread.

So, had a good day I suppose. Brady's levels seemed pretty good, got me a little scared but he did fine, dropped a few times to a nice low of 88 on ReliOn Prime and just like that started back up a little. He did great. It was his glucose check at the vets and he shot way up to 399 and when I got him home even higher, 485. Told the vet I think we are going to try 1.25 U for a little while to see how it goes. He was 16 lb 11 ounces today, they seemed happy with that. Emma is losing a little as well on this new low carb diet..I think im going to start eating Friskies low carb. Haha.

Once again, I cant thank all of you for the support, I am truly glad I found this forum, without you guys I would be crazier than I am now.

Stay safe, stay healthy, wash your hands, stay 6 feet away

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I cant give dosing advice but Brady sounds like he is doing ok. Those numbers are pretty high. I hope the Vet made the right call.
    Isnt this the greatest place on earth? I use to think that was Disneyland...not anymore :p

Deb & Wink and Irish Pat like this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

WoW!!! That is some major stress induced high BG readings. Well documented fact, that blood glucose can go up pretty quickly and take hours to go back to normal.

4. Juls and Billy

Juls and Billy Member

Very good dropping to 1.25 after that 88. Don't fret the high numbers. Probably a little bounce on top of vet stress. You are doing awesome and Brady is doing great!

Deb & Wink and Irish Pat like this.
  5. Deb & Wink

Bouncing from those low greens yesterday AM. Come on Brady, settle back down.

p.s. You're doing great Pat. Drop in dose was exactly what you wanted to do, with the BG <90 and SLGS with Prozinc.

6. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

Thanks guys, rough day today. Brady's poor ears are very sore from all the testing. Im trying to cut him a little break for a bit. Plus its really taking its toll on me. I had to take a little step back myself. The worrying is driving me crazy. I want to try to stay on the 1.5U to see what happens here. This is really crazy, every time his insulin (prozinc) gets bumped up his numbers go up, I know, its most likely bouncing. I do have to give his ears a break, he is beginning to not like me much right now and actually hissed at me a few times. So its break time unless something causes me concern to check him. I will continue to check AMPS and PMPS just to make sure no adjustments need to be made to his insulin. Slow and steady wins the race, lets hope.

I do have one question, he is on that cerenia, its pretty darn expensive, $80.00 for 10 pills in 1/4's, so that gives me 40 days worth of pills. I saw on chewy.com that they have cerenia for dogs, im not sure if that is the same stuff or not. I already got the pills, I guess I could check with the vet if its the same medication, but thought I would ask you guys. If I can get it cheaper somewhere else I will. If you have any suggestions, you have helped a lot already.

Brady goes back April 1st for his next BG check then he goes back April 15th for another round of bloodwork to check how everything is going. I check his ketones everyday when I catch him going to the bathroom, there is a trace but the vet said if we can get his insulin straightened out that should help clear him up, she wasn't alarmed at this point.

Getting close to going back to work, hope they change their minds on that and let us continue to work from home, COVID 19 is still rising here in Pa don't need to be a statistic. Plus its nice being for Brady. Dreading the day when nobody is with him at home, but I know its coming and will have to prepare for that day.

Have a great night, I will check in tomorrow morning.

7. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

i think this first period is the roughest. it definitely gets better.
    we are not that far longer into this journey than you are, but yes, it gets better.
    at first i could hardly sleep for the worry. black numbers, blue numbers, magenta numbers, oy! :cat:

and you'll get better at your touch/handling/position on the ear for the BGs.
    if i think back to the first ones we did on poor kit, well, she must love us as much as we love her .... bc yeah, not so skillful were we then :banghead:
    this post is helpful for learning
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/testing-and-shooting-tips.85113/#post-1377750

^jw

8. JoyBee&Ravan

JoyBee&Ravan Well-Known Member

Please add the date each day when you post.
    I've been here for over 2 yrs now. A little Organic coconut oil on my Ravan's ears helps a lot

You stopped all dry food & it could bring his BG down. Most Kitties BG goes the lowest during the night,so it would be good to check once in a while at different hours. Think of the spread sheet like a puzzle .Over time you want to gradually fill in the boxes at different times to see what his readings are at night & during the day.

The more info on the spread sheet the better.

Like Deb & Wink said ,those high #'s were from stress! I try not to bring my kitty to the vet unless really necessary. They can also feel "our" stress so it's a good idea to take a few deep slow breaths before you test. The calmer you are the better for you both :)

It will get easier! A favorite word here is "Patience".

Everyone here wants to help. We've all been there & want the best for you & Brady. Ask lots of questions & read the sticky Notes. The more you know & understand the easier it will be. Best of Luck to you :):bighug::bighug::bighug:
    upload_2020-3-27_14-38-28.jpeg

Deb & Wink and JOJI and Kit like this.
  9. Deb & Wink

We don't do that in Feline Health.
    Nor do we do that in the Prozinc ISG, or the Caninsulin/Vetsulin/NPH ISG forums.
    That is only done in the Lantus ISG forum, where the posting style is to have the date on the title of the post.

JoyBee&Ravan and Irish Pat like this.
  10. JoyBee&Ravan

OOPS I forgot she's using Prozinc

Deb & Wink likes this.
  11. Irish Pat

Irish Pat Member

He, he uses prozinc…..Im beginning to think this is an all female forum, lol

Marje and Gracie and Deb & Wink like this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Brady is a guy cat (male, it's listed in the signature) and so is Pat. A male of the human species, that is.;)

Irish Pat likes this.
  13. JoyBee&Ravan

OOPS again!
    :eek::p

Irish Pat and Deb & Wink like this.
  14. Deb & Wink

I made the same embarrassing mistake, thinking that Pat was a woman's name. It's why I remember now. ;) Mostly.

Irish Pat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.