? Second BG Curve makes no sense

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Caregiver, Oct 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Oliver's second BG Curve is making no sense.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...Map-N1VZozd9NY3ExlXyIuZ3tG8iyELeOxRUR/pubhtml
    He was eating Kirkland dry food for the first curve and is eating Royal Canin Glycobalance for the second curve. He refused the Kirkland food after I let him have a taste of the RC so I made the change since they are very similar dry foods. RC is supposed to be slightly lower in carbs than the Kirkland, but his BG is higher. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this has already been addressed. Dry food is PACKED with carbs, its like pouring gasoline onto a fire. I know some cats refuse to eat can food. But there ARE better dry foods than the two you have Been using. Dr Elseys and Young Again. There ARE others .
    Theres nothing special about this glycobalance except maybe the price.

THAT SAID... Should you decide to go with a lower carb anything. You must monitor closely. Example when I removed Troubles dry food (and switched to can) his numbers dropped 100 points almost over night. The same CAN happen with the lower carb dry food.

I hope you take this information with the spirit in which is is given. We ALL want the best for every kitty that comes here. :bighug:
    jeanne

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  3. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Thanks jeanne. Love your input and totally agree! The vet sold me the stuff and told me to put him on it after 2 weeks on Vetsulin. So I did. Can't figure why she picked Vetsulin or the RC food. Nothing makes sense. I wish I had just switched him to low or no carb wet food before doing anything, especially since I had to wait over a week just to get the first appointment when it was obvious that he was diabetic (all the classic signs) which I told them over the phone.

4. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Oliver has an INVERTED BG Curve. He ate the RC for breakfast 4 hrs before the Vetsulin and again 1/2 hour before the Vetsulin. Then 1 1/2 hour after the Vetsulin he ate some RC. I guess the RC is spiking his BG? Any recommendations of wet food to get him on?

5. jt and trouble (GA)

Vets are sold a bill of goods. These marketing agents are very clever. You can still switch The way I did t was I gave a little less dry and introduced the can . every day less dry and more canned. It wasnt easy cause Trouble was a dry Kitty crack addict. It helped a little that he thought the canned food was a treat. Then one day I just removed the dry all together.

It was hard to watch an addict sit and stare at the place his dry food use to sit but eventually he got over it and ultimately went into remission.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

Sorry I missed the end of your last post. A LOT of people here use Fancy Feast Pates. Also Friskies Pates going to look for Dr Lisa's food list brb.

ETA:
    Dr. Pierson - new Food Chart
    You want any food that lists 10% or under in carbs.

7. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Thank you for the link.

I checked the non-diabetic cat's BG to be sure the meter works and he came in at 99, so the meter is working.

Based on today's BG Curve after feeding Oliver RC GlycoBalance, my daughter named it: GlycoUnbalance!

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

With most of the "prescription" foods, they come with a guarantee. Take the food back and tell the vet that your cat won't eat it and you'd like a refund. Then, ask the vet what the carbohydrate count is on the glycobalance -- it's roughly 24% carb. That's obviously more than a bit higher than you want to be giving any diabetic. It's more carbs than in a slice of bread or a shortbread cookie! My guess is that your vet never bothered to look into the carbs in the food he's selling. Way back, I had a similar conversation with Gabby's vet. I pointed out that the Wellness I was feeding her was way lower in carbs than the prescription food, she liked it better, and it was a fraction of the carbohydrates. I offered to send her the link to Dr. Lisa's website. (She was also a great vet who didn't let her ego get in the way of learning something from her clients.)

I don't think you're going to see much of a change in our kitty's numbers until you transition to a lower carb diet.

Also, with numbers that are in this high of a range, just for the sake of prevention, please test for ketones. You can get urine ketone test strips (Ketostix) at any pharmacy.

9. jt and trouble (GA)

Thanks Sienne I should have thought of that!

10. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

I immediately bought ketone strips yesterday and have tested 3x since (including today) and he measured "negative." I will continue testing daily since I collect all his urine (in a Breeze box without a pad) and measure it to see if his polyuria is getting any better. (I used to work in a lab and did this for a ton of rats, so it's no big deal for me.)

Oliver is currently producing an average of 523 ml of urine per day! (If polyuria is defined as anything greater than 50 ml urine/kg/day, then Oliver should be under 160 ml of urine per day.

11. jt and trouble (GA)

Wow CC thats pretty cool:cool:

12. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

I went to the store and bought FF Classic Pate and fed Oliver a little bit at 6:40 pm--waiting to make sure it set well with his stomach--then more at 8 pm. At 9:30 pm I took his PMPS (478) and let him finish the can. At 10 pm I will shoot. He is very hungry and wants another can. I will try to wait until the +1 before feeding anymore FF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.