Seeking Low Carb / Moderate Fat Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SoCal Cat, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCal Cat

SoCal Cat New Member

Hi again!

I posted separately about freeze-dried raw but also have a qs about wet food:

Can anyone recommend a wet food they like for their kitties that's low carb and moderate fat? (<40% calories from fat and ideally <30%). I reviewed Dr. Lisa's amazing nutrition charts and got some ideas from there, but was wondering if any of you kitty parents have ones to recommend.

I currently use Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken and that seems good - 65%/32%/3%, but I was shocked to discover that Wellness Complete Health Turkey was 31%/65%/4%. So I'm definitely cutting Wellness bc my cat's triglycerides are high. But not sure if he will only eat Weruva all the time.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB We're glad you found us!
    We are a community of kitty cat lovers that all have on thing in common feline diabetes. You havent mentioned if your beautiful kitty has diabetes. If he/ she does you may want to start here:

New? How You Can Help Us Help You!

I understand your looking for specifics. So lets see what other members have to say.(this post will bump your thread to the top of the list ;))
    Theres a ton of information here with good people to help you navigate it all.
    WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY:bighug:
    jeanne

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

May I ask why you want a low/moderate-fat canned food?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

I'm not well versed in cat food but I have found some cat food info has evolved since Dr. Pierson's list was created (likely due to formula changes). Wellness posts Nutrient Profiles for each flavor. Here's a link - Pick a pate flavor then scroll down to the nutrient pdf.

5. SoCal Cat

SoCal Cat New Member

because we recently found via blood work that he has very high triglycerides and high cholesterol
    secondary reasons for this have been examined/are being considered, but my vet also wants to ensure he's not eating high fat foods. She mentioned that sometimes low carb foods, esp grain free ones, can be high-fat. Turns out she was right - 2 of the food I was using were ~ 60% calories from fat (Wellness Complete Heath turkey pate and Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried raw chicken, feline formula).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  6. SoCal Cat

SoCal Cat New Member

Thank you. That's actually one of the ones I was feeding him, and I was shocked to discover 60% of its calories come from fat! (turkey formula)
    I've been feeding Jasper that food and Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken for years... fortunately the Weruva is 32% calories from fat, so I can keep him on that one. But would like to have a 2nd one if I can find a good replacement for the high-fat Wellness pate.

7. JaxBenji

Where are you reading 60%? Am I not reading the PDF on the website right? As fed says 7.65 and dry matter says 33.22. Like I said, i am no expert in cat food but do know it's worth double checking the numbers on Pierson's list if you can since it's a few years old.

8. SoCal Cat

SoCal Cat New Member

If you go to https://www.wellnesspetfood.com/sites/default/files/media/documents/WCC CH Turkey Q3-2020.pdf
    scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a small table with kcalories broken down as follows:
    protein - 39.28%
    fat - 59.59%
    carb - 1.12%

The "as fed" value is 77% moisture; I'm pretty sure that set of figures is not the right breakdown.

For comparison - check out the Weruva Paw Lickin chicken formula here:
    https://weruva.com/nutrition-landing/wcc-ni/

9. JaxBenji

Oh I see where you were looking! FWIW, you are more on top of this than me and may be interested in reading through Pierson's site - the portion on commercial cat foods is linked here. Good luck:bighug:

10. SoCal Cat

SoCal Cat New Member

Thanks! I started with Pierson's site and tables but since, as you noted, her charts may be outdated due to changing formulas, I was looking to see if anyone here was already using something low carb and moderate fat bc it's been time consuming going back and forth with different manufacturers that don't have the necessary info on their website. So far Weruva is looking the best...

jt and trouble (GA) and JaxBenji like this.
  11. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I just had a look at my food chart for UK foods that I've used. By and large, all the low carb foods have kilocalories from fats falling in the 50-59% range. Anything with a lower number of calories from fats has the carb % bumped up.

There was a member here a few years ago whose cat had pancreatitis and he was particularly fat-sensitive. She struggled to find a low carb, low fat food for him. IIRC the only one she identified was Thrive Complete. I'm not sure whether it's available where you are but it might be worth looking.

Mogs

12. SoCal Cat

SoCal Cat New Member

Yes, it looks to me like a lot of low carb foods are at the 50% fat level or higher. Turns out one of the foods I've been using is lower fat. A lot of other foods that are both less fat and low carb are primarily seafood, so there are clear downsides to relying on them too much. I looked up Thrive Complete and it does look like just what I need! Alas though I'm in the U.S. and it looks like it would be quite costly for me to purchase it.

I guess some cats are more sensitive to fats than others are. If that's the case for my kitty, Jasper, maybe even if I'm feeding him foods in the 30-40% fat range vs 60% will help. I just have been so shocked by this... I was so focused on low carb didn't really think a lot about high fat or health fats (some cat foods seem to have healthier fat sources than others). So complicated! But so worth to figure out! :)

Thanks!

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

There are lots of great weruva choices, and they have clear nutrition facts posted on their site. Many of the flavors are newer than dr Lisa's list.

14. jt and trouble (GA)

Ohhh how I envy you Janet. I was trying to keep Zoe in lower phos food.(Weruva) I bout all different cans maybe 50 bucks worth she ate then ONCE. I bought double of the ones she really went for...they have all been donated :rolleyes:

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. JanetNJ

Oh too bad! Some flavors she definitely likes more than others. Her current faves are On the Cat Wok, paw licken chicken, glam and punk, steak frites, best buds, and whatever the salmon one is.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  16. Critter Mom

That's just ruined one of my favourite Simple Minds tracks. :banghead:

Mogs

17. Critter Mom

Salmon 'chanted evening?

(I'll get me coat...)

Mogs

CB Terri and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  18. jt and trouble (GA)

The names of their choices are hilarious. Leo and I stood reading and cracking up with each other.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. JanetNJ

I always sing it to the tune of I'm Too Sexy....

On the Cat Wok, on the cat Wok yeah I shake my little tail on the cat Wok!

Critter Mom likes this.
  20. JanetNJ

Oh they have the best names. I like the game show ones. Jeopurrdy, the family food, meal of fortune, name that tuna, the slice is right, let's make a meal, press your lunch and the newly feds.

21. Critter Mom

Thank you so much for the save! :D

Mogs

22. Critter Mom

Chortle! :smuggrin:

23. jt and trouble (GA)

I think one is Moby Duck/ They ALL have great names. lol