Send help! Getting cat pee out of bedding

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi guys!
    Don’t know if anyone on here still remembers me, but I have a new issue with my cat(s) that I knew only you guys could help me with. One of my cats (I think?) started peeing on our BED! In my 26 years of owning multiple cats, I have never had this happen. Rugs, other places - yes, but never bedding! I washed everything multiple times with Tide with cold and then warm water, and it still stinks. I have a water proof mattress cover which I washed, sheets, pillowcases, and comforter (a nice one, from pottery barn… this is LITERALLY why we can’t have nice things!) this also happened once before we had the waterproof mattress cover, and my husband tried to clean the mattress with vinegar, and then used the shampooed to clean it. And it still smelled, but the new mattress cover trapped the smell. That is, until they peed on it . Any tips on how to get the smell out of the bedding would be greatly appreciated.

I did check the sugar of 2 of my older cats, and it’s normal - 69 and 70 using the AT meter. I’m going to take them all to the vet for a check-up this month to make sure there’s no UTI/urinary stones/etc.

Ps. I STILL can’t figure out how to post photos of my daughter on here… I use my iPhone to post. Any advice? She’s almost 2 now! She might be an adult by the time I figure this out

2. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

For urine, you’ll want an enzyme based cleaner that breaks down the odor rather than masks it. My favorite is unscented Anti-icky Poo. It comes in spray bottles and gallon refills. Check around for prices — the link below is just to show the product.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008A79YLG/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I believe Dr Elseys has a product line for urine removal as well but I’ve never tried it. I previously use Nature’s Miracle but somewhere along the line they changed their formula and product lines and I don’t care for it as much now.

To post a photo, you have to copy/paste. I do it from my cell phone so it should work for you.

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Another option for a enzyme cleaner is to buy the concentrate instead of pre-mixed. You can use it full strength if needed. You can find it at any place that sells janitorial supplies. Also check for it at the small stores that sell vacuums / floor cleaners only. Amazon also carries the concentrate. Here is one of the ones they carry Amazon.com: Zeiff Pro-Grade Multi-Purpose Enzyme Cleaner - Powerful Cleaning & Odor Eliminating Formula For Professional & Home Surfaces - 1 Gallon - Lavender Breeze : Health & Household

4. kittyinbath

kittyinbath New Member

I have used URINE OFF in the past, which I found effective and quite nice smelling. You could also try sprinkling a generous amount of baking soda, leaving it on for a while, and shaking/vacuuming it off afterwards. I managed to remove vomit odours from my carpet using this method. Good luck!

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I actually really like Earthworm cleaner, I've used it to get a LOT of pee out of carpet and such. I've not tried any of the others mentioned on this thread though, but I agree with not liking Nature's Miracle (any formulation) since they changed it

Earthworm Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner Spot & Stain Remover - Natural Enzymes, Safer for Family, Environmentally Responsible - 22 oz https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00299B...abc_JS92W996PWBHRF2M7NZ6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

6. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've tried this just once with blood from a compound fracture (not mine). If it's still wet pour as much rock/sea salt as you can on it, let it sit and then just vacuum it out.

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

My favorite Pet oder removers are Anti Icky Poo Unscented which truely has no scent, and angry orange which obviously smells like orang. I get them on amazon

8. Candy&Company

Candy&Company Member

This works for me, but I dunno if it will for you?

I run 2 cycles in my wash, if my cat pees on something. I've heard all about the enzyme cleaners, etc. but for me it's been super hit or miss on those. It seems I no sooner find one I like that works, that they change the formula or they get rid of it, etc. so I just go old school per my grandmother.

1.) Fill up your washer with the hottest water you can, plus 16oz of pure white vinegar. Toss in the fabric items and run it through all the way to the end.

2.) Fill up your washer AGAIN with the hottest water you can, then add in your detergent, fabric softener, bleach, etc. as you go through the cycle to the end.

3.) My grandmother over the summer would save corn husks/fibers from buying corn on the cob or coconut fibers, etc. She'd soak them all in a mixture of baking soda and water, then dry it all out for days until it was fully dry. Then she'd take cheesecloth or pantyhose, stuff a section about 6-12" long with it, then tie it off and when she tossed things in the dryer, she'd throw that in too.

Honestly? It works miracles, in my opinion. I don't eat a lotta corn on the cob or buy coconuts whole, but you CAN buy coconut fiber in bulk and use that, which I do/have done.

Hot water at the BEGINNING of the cycle is the kicker. The smell comes from urine crystals, which need to dissolve and be washed away. As they're dissolving into the washer water, the vinegar disinfects, deodorizes and actually prevents any molecules from sticking around or reforming. The cool/cold water rinse cycle is needed to fully flush away the vinegar but some urine might still linger.

That's where the 2nd hot wash with detergent, etc. comes in - that'll flush away what the cold water left behind.

Any trace elements left, will be taken care of in the dryer with the baking soda husks/fibers. I have yet to have this fail me, honestly. At least in terms of laundry items.

I do it a bit differently than she did but it works just as well. I use prepackaged coconut fibers made for animals, actually. It's called "Eco Earth", it's compressed coconut fiber expandable substrate, and it's all dry, no critters. I take three big handfuls of it and put it into a bowl or bucket. Then sprinkle/mix in 1/4 cup baking soda. Then I use a spray bottle of plain water and wet the whole thing down, mixing it all as I go until it's nice and damp (NOT WET). The dampness is to make the soda stick, and sink into the fibers. A good test is to take a handful every so often and make a fist. If the mixture stays a bit in the shape, you're good to go. Then spread it out on a cookie sheet for a few days to dry, stirring it around on occasion.

Once dry, pack it into cheesecloth or my favorite, pantyhose! Don't pack it tight, leave it loose enough that you can crunch it/kinda mix it around. Then tie it off, cut it, and voila.

That 1 pantyhose pack is good for up to 10 dryer loads (of items that've been peed on and washed). Before tossing in the dryer, spray the outside of the pantyhose packet and work/crunch it carefully in your hands. You want it moist, not drenched. For me, this usually takes 10-15 sprays from a water bottle. Then toss it in with the clothes to be dried, and you're good! You can also, if you want to, stuff a dryer sheet or two into the pack, or some dryer crystals or whatever those things are, etc.

After about 10 loads (you'll be able to tell when it's worn out depending on how big you make it - it'll be really crispy/crackly sounding and start shedding dust before you moisten it again), just toss the whole thing away and make a new one. This has yet to fail me, for laundry.

9. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I wish I looked and got the unscented version :eek: I just sprayed the “original” version all over the bedding snd some on my carpet snd couch, and my throat feels like I’ve been drinking lavender essential oils :arghh: As I’m spraying it, I noticed there are no active ingredients listed. How do I know for sure this isn’t just essential oils diluted in water o_O:p I just hope this works :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting:

10. JanetNJ

I haven't tried the original one. This is the one I have used Mister Max Unscented Anti Icky Poo Odor Remover, Quart Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002OTJ7I...abc_2EJCYJHR5FH37MJ8D2ZT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I usually get the gallon size and refil bottles. This stuff saved my couch when I had not one but two strays I took in that were not fixed. I had a couple weeks until their spay appointments and in the meantime the christened my house!!!!!! So stressful! Both were good girls after the operation. Ha ha but I thought my 3 yo couch was trash. After this spray there was no smell.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
  11. Ana & Frosty (GA)

I’m definitely gonna get this one and refill the bottle I have. Thank you! I mean, I was desperate this time around and just needed to get SOMETHING so I can spray everything down and rewash it this weekend so I have somewhere to sleep next week, LOL. So I just got the regular one not thinking about the smell. I would definitely wanna try the unscented one though. I have a sensitive nose… :arghh: not really great for having lots of pets.

I suspect it’s my oldest cat doing this, she has IBD and now I’m worried about kidney/bladder issues. She saw the IM at red bank last week and they did blood work and took some urine also, so we shall see. She’s almost 14, and supposedly lost 4 lb over the last year. We have been controlling her diet, but I can’t say we did anything drastic to cause that amount of weight loss. She gets about the same amount as the other cats, but gets selected protein wet food. I just switched her to Ziwi venison actually because her rx food wasn’t in stock, but now that’s out of stock too… not sure what I’m going to feed her now, I hope I don’t get stuck giving her that dry hydrolyzed crap, I don’t know what’s been going on with cat food lately and why there’s such a shortage. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing that too…

anyway, thanks for your help, everyone! I’ll report back on whether or not I get the smell out with this stuff

12. JanetNJ

Make sure they check her thyroid. My Lita list a lot of weight and was diagnosed last week with hyperthyroidism. CC had it too but was not a candidate for i131 radiation because of her kidneys, but Lita should be. Oradell and Red Bank are the two places in nj that do it. I have a consultation in 2 weeks. Hopefully it won't take long before they can do it. Lita can be tricky to get the meds in.

13. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Good call, yeah they did the senior bloodwork so I’m hoping that’s part of it. I gotta call the vet back so I’ll find out . Thanks!! I just ordered the scent free stuff, I poured the rest of the smelly stuff directly onto my mattress because it still smelled like Pee after I sprayed it 3 times. Ugh!! Like I said, this is a new problem for me :eek:

14. JanetNJ

Oh yeah with so.ething like a mattress or couch you have to really make sure it gets in deeper than the urine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.