senior friendly litter boxes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jayla-n-Drevon, Dec 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Hi
    Just sharing what I thought was a good "find"
    Jo Ann Fabric had/has a container that stores Christmas stuff (I am not exactly sure what they store)
    BUT they are shaped like a flying saucer and the sides are low.
    It has a top and bottom so you really get 2-
    they were about 8$ and 20% off with the Jo Ann coupon. (they frequently have this 20% deal or you can log into the joann site in the store and have it sent to your email /phone.

I am always looking for variety for the boys although they seem to prefer the pool.
    I at least know they always have clean litter:cat:

I can post a pic tomorrow if anyone is looking for a low sides LB-
    :bighug:

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

Maggie had issues with the litter box before she passed away. She had problems walking on the litter. I used puppy pads with newspaper under it in her litter box, which had low sides. I eventually got the dog litter box to make it easier for her.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

@MrWorfMen's Mom -

Thought this thread might be helpful for your little fella.

Mogs

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  5. Critter Mom

A pic would be most helpful, Jayla.

Mogs

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I will take a picture tomorrow of this next to the other boxes for reference ....
    the one is maybe 4 inches high.

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up Mogs. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it's a box problem. I caught the little monster approaching his target area again on Friday after breakfast so I closed him in my bigger bathroom with a bowl of water, a mat to lay on, a piddle pad and a fresh litter box so he had the choice. We had a short standoff with me checking on progress every 15 minutes or so but eventually he christened the box. Christened the box again in the afternoon. No problem Saturday while I was out all day either. Then lo and behold this morning, found he had done it again. I really think this may be more about senility or laziness. Problem is hardwood flooring. The carpet I can send out to be cleaned but the hardwood is proving to be a bigger issue. And of course it's in the living room right in front of the sofa. Impossible to leave a litter box on the target! Very frustrating when I now have 7 litter boxes for 3 cats spread out so there can't be a line up for the loo and both floors have facilities! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::(

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

This is such a frustrating problem! I had friends years ago whose kitty thought their carpeted dining room was her litter box. They gave up trying to dissuade her and just covered the entire area in plastic sheeting.

Polished concrete floors are now a trend in modern homes. Now those would be pee proof! :smuggrin:

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

The only advantage to concrete is the lack of "seams" and no warping from undetected accidents that sit too long. It's still one of the hardest surfaces to get the stench out of. Alas my house is so old, I'd probably have to worry about the structure being able to hold up the weight of a concrete floor anyway. And I hate ceramic, porcelain and concrete floors because they're super hard on my old feet. LOL! I really think the best option would be sheet linoleum with a wood pattern! :rolleyes: My floors are old oak...about 50 years old). I'd started finding the odd spot that has splintered and they can't be sanded and refinished again so I had been contemplating replacing it all. Now I am just thanking my lucky stars I have a habit of procrastinating about doing major renovations! If these were new floors, I'd be freaking out! :eek:

Critter Mom likes this.
  10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You're right about the concrete ... hadn't thought of that. I wouldn't dismiss sheet linoleum/vinyl because they have some that look very realistic these days. People usually think of resale, etc. but sheet flooring is very easy on the feet, can look really good and is just the ticket for kitties with litter box shyness. :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  11. MrWorfMen's Mom

My renovations no longer take resale into consideration because I have a tiny bungalow on a large chunk of land. Around here, they generally knock these small homes down and put up something in the neighbourhood of 3000 to 4000 sq. ft. So I renovate according to my needs/wants and to heck with any resale considerations. Been here for 37 years and have done some update renovations over time so I'll get my money back out along with a very good profit even if I don't have pristine hardwood floors anymore because it's the land not the property that sells around here. :D

Kris & Teasel and Critter Mom like this.
  12. Critter Mom

Ah, the bit o' land!

"Get off my house!" doesn't have quite the same magical ring, does it! ;)

Mogs

13. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

We considered wood floors. We had carpet and linoleum. We did a very expensive option in 2012. Had the whole house tiled. We had them use epoxy grout. The tiler guys complained up a storm. And it wasn't fun living in the house while the work progressed. But now we have a fluid-proof floor. With 3 cats and 2 dogs it has worked out great.

With epoxy grout, the grout is impermeable. They typically use that grout type for only kitchens and bathrooms. We have had animal accidents in all the rooms now. They have done the following to it:
    - barf
    - pee
    - poop
    - mud and leaves

We love the epoxy grout for it's excellent liquid exclusion capabilities. Highly recommended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.