Sept 7 - Charlie - advice? 484 at amps gave 2u VM, +2 414, +5 230, +6 211, +8 182, +9 211

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sarah Gamm, Sep 7, 2020.

1. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Charlie has been trending down all day (up to +8 reading).
    I just wondering how “high” he should go for me to give him his 2 units in 4 hours.
    I know if he’s 200 or below, it’s suggested that he not get any.

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

It looks like his numbers are trending up. If he keeps going up, you should be fine to shoot his normal dose tonight. It's always a good idea to get a before going to sleep test no matter what his number is to give you an idea of what he'll do during the PM cycle.

3. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I guess I just worry that he was high this morning and went into the blue at +8. I’m just worried he’ll make the same drastic dip overnight and end up hypo. It’s all new to me still so I worry

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Looks like you shoot 1 at night and 2 in the morning. Is that correct? Well alternating at night.

5. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

The vet wants 2u in am and 2u in pm. But I only gave 1u last night. And I’m debating what I should do tonight

6. tiffmaxee

Here’s the thing. Lantus likes consistency. You are likely to have crazy numbers shooting like that. You need the same dose day and night even if it means dropping the day dose.

7. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

So should I do 2u or 1u am and pm (or 1.5?)? I’ve had a lot of people comment that it’s unusual to start at 2u

8. tiffmaxee

9. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

It appears that vets like to start a lot of cats at 2 units. That's what our vet told us too..

Have you switched his food recently from any dry food/kibble to an all wet diet? If you swap out all of the dry food, or once you wean him off of it his numbers might go down with that alone. Kibble/dry food is very high in carbs.

If it were me, I'd probably stick with 1 unit for the length of the dosing method you've chosen (although I don't see one yet). You'll want to decide which to do; SLGS or TR because that's what you use to decide how often to change your dose, up or down.
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

Typically most people start with SLGS until you can get more comfortable with testing and seeing what your kitty is likely to do.

Please, please whatever you do, get a test before EVERY shot. And get a test before you go to bed - if his numbers are going down and it's bedtime, you'll need to find a good movie to watch or go to bed and set an alarm...

It's a lot to learn at first...but you'll get the hang of it...promise!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  10. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I did look at his comment. He suggested stayed at 2, but going with my gut if I wanted to drop to 1. Idk what my gut wants but I’m new :( his steep decrease today in numbers I guess freaked me out

11. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Chris is a lady btw :)

I tend to lean toward being conservative and taking things slow...you can always increase in a few days - read the dosing methods and pick a method that you feel comfortable with. Either dose you pick is fine, but you'll have to stick with it for at least 10 days if you go with SLGS - UNLESS he drops below 50 - at which time you'll have to reduce by .25.

Lantus has to be given consistently morning and night - exactly 12 hours apart and exactly the same dose as last time - you will learn about reductions when you read the dosing method information. It was written to help everyone learn and understand the challenge you're facing right now.

12. tiffmaxee

That’s what I wanted you to see. Your gut says 1. Go with it. Don’t worry about your vet if that’s bothering you. We have a saying around here. Safety first!

13. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I was thinking SLGS.

we’ve switched to Hill’s M/D (dry, 15% carbs) from Hill’s C/D (dry, 40%+ carb). I’m trying to introduce Dr Elsey’s but he isn’t fond of it. And h refuses to eat wet food, so IF that happens, it’ll take some time.

14. tiffmaxee

Anyone that feeds dry, even if low carb, follows SLGS. Please add it to your signature. Good luck dosing 1 unit both cycles.

15. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I think I’m going to drop to 1u am and pm. And see how that goes. I know higher is better than lower and I think I’d rather creep down in doses than stress about hypo.

Do am and pm curves tend to be drastically different?

16. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

Ok thank you

17. tiffmaxee

It depends on the cat. Many are lower at night. Max was one of those and pj parties were common here. Once in awhile he would surprise me with a low AMPS. Works better than coffee to get you moving ! I think you are wise.

18. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I’m very thankful to be working at home through this right now. Middle of the night alarms will be happening lol

19. tiffmaxee

Long time no see. How’s it going? I would increase to 2.25.

20. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I was thinking he might need a dose increase but I thought I was supposed to hold to dose for a week before changing?

21. tiffmaxee

I’m counting more than 7 days. When did you start Lantus? Please start a new condo for today. Thanks.

22. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I was fluctuating his PM dose until 3 days ago

23. tiffmaxee

This isn’t our ss is it? I can’t access US numbers. Oh now I can. I think I would consider not waiting as I’m worried about glucose toxicity. See what others say. Start a new thread now and link this one for attention. Add a ? prefix.

24. Sarah Gamm

Sarah Gamm Member

I will start a new thread. What is glucose toxicity?