Shadow now been diagnosed with CKD

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CLAIRE MARSHALL, Sep 22, 2022.

1. CLAIRE MARSHALL

CLAIRE MARSHALL Member

Shadow was diagnosed yesterday with early stages of CKD.

His latest fructosamine levels are 293, but for once vet's weren't too worried.

I'm in the UK.

What food can I give him which is not too expensive and low in phosphorous (please excuse spelling)

I've bought him a liquid supplement specifically for kidney issues to help mix with his food.

His thyroid was perfectly normal.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

If you look at the UK Food List, you will find a column listing phosphorus. The low phosphorus options are highlighted in a bright blue.
    UK Cat Food List

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  3. CLAIRE MARSHALL

CLAIRE MARSHALL Member

4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Shadow is overdosed. You need to reduce the dose to 0.5U and hold that dose, no matter if the preshot is high. If he drops below 5 or you think he did, you reduce by 0.25U. You are going to kill him if you continue this, period.

Claire, this has been discussed so many times between here and Facebook. If you are not going to listen to our advice, I don't see how we can help you. We are giving the same advice time and again, and yet you do not heed it.

It's not the CKD, it's not the heat - it is your dangerous dosing that is causing his wonky numbers. Your pen/cartridge cannot dose smaller than 0.5U - we have mentioned several times to get U40 syringes so you can draw these small doses straight from the pen/cartridge.

5. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

@CLAIRE MARSHALL