Shadow's dosing and relapsing

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CLAIRE MARSHALL, May 10, 2022.

1. CLAIRE MARSHALL

CLAIRE MARSHALL Member

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l2SX8xaJvh6wOzdBW2ssxgSAg6NTagqb-v5iwsmgUVM/edit#gid=5

Morning

As you know Shadow was doing really well.

He went at one point for 15 days without any insulin.

2nd May he needed half a unit in the evening, and again on the 3rd May another half a unit in the morning.

He then went a further 6 days without insulin.

Half a unit this morning.

He's still eating low carb foods, but sometimes I tried to give higher which seemed to help at first.

I getting very frustrated with these blips, but I know at one point the bloody vets decided to put him on 3 units twice a day.

I'm just hoping he hasn't got an underlying health issues which is why he sometimes needs a small shot.

I do check his pee for ketones and all is clear there.

He does sometimes seem to sneeze, especially in warm weather when pollen count is high.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Is your SS up to date?

3. CLAIRE MARSHALL

CLAIRE MARSHALL Member

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

@CLAIRE MARSHALL The problem is that you stopped insulin too soon so he wasn't really ready to go OTJ. We recommend keeping them on insulin as long as safely possible so the pancreas has the longest time to heal. We want a strong remission, not necessarily a fast one.

Unfortunately, with Caninsulin, it's not really safe to give insulin at the numbers we'd give if he were using an insulin that's better for cats. In the UK, you can ask for ProZinc instead. It's also approved as a "first" insulin for cats now (and has been for several years)

If he was on ProZinc, instead of going from 1U to zero, we would have suggested dropping to .75 and if he continued being in normal numbers for 7 days (2.8-6.7) then he'd go down to 0.5.....then after another 7 days in normal numbers, drop to 0.25....and eventually down to 0.1 or even 1 drop.

A cat that's in remission will be in mostly green numbers with just an occasional blip into low blues. Shadow has entirely too much blue for us to consider him in remission.

If Shadow were my cat, I'd try to get him on ProZinc and let us help you get him into a strong remission (although because he is getting blues and greens, it may be hard to get a vet to give it to you....vets tend to want them to stay in higher numbers than we recommend.... like around 16)

CLAIRE MARSHALL likes this.