shortcut shopping list -all less than 8%

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rhiannon and shadow (GA), May 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

2. Meowluv

Meowluv Member

Wow this is invaluable! Especially to a newbie such as myself. Thank you so much!

Melody

3. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

4. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Thanks Rhiannon! This is very helpful!

5. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

6. Mary and Stella

Mary and Stella Well-Known Member

I love this list! I was just thinking I was going to have to go through and do this for my kitty Stella's health. You saved me so much time, and it is greatly appreciated!!! :D :D :D

7. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

Awesome! Since hubby has been going shopping lately, I am printing this out for him instead of having to write things down every time! Thank you!!

8. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Thanks Rhiannon!

9. solstice105

solstice105 New Member

Thanks, this is a great list! I also found a downloadable one here http://www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoods#Commercial_Foods about 3/4 of the way down the page. I downloaded it to my phone and used it until I was able to figure out what worked for my cat. It does include foods over 8%. It includes most of the brands you could imagine and then some. But having it downloaded to my phone was invaluable.

10. theng&miko

theng&miko Member

Thank you so so much for your list. Is very helpful!
    I will try to find at my hometown (Malaysia) if not i will order from US.
    Thanks again :)

11. theng&miko

theng&miko Member

12. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Yes. You have the right values for those two cans.

13. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

14. theng&miko

theng&miko Member

Thank you so so much :)

15. ohiogal

ohiogal Member

I don't see 9 Lives listed. I have another list that has several varieties under 8%. Is that not the case anymore? Please advise, that's what I feed Casey. Thanks!

16. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

17. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

The 9lives wasn't on dr. lisa's updated list.... I was going with the more recently confirmed values....

After all, food companies make changes all the time to their formulas so any foods have to be evaluated by how your cat responds to it.

18. Deb & Wink

19. flagrl33

flagrl33 New Member

Thank you so much for this! This is awesome!!!!

20. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

21. Fluff

Fluff New Member

Thank you for this list! I am new to the site and have to say that everyone seems so polite and sincere as I read through the forums.
    I saved this list because my cat, Fluff, recently started throwing up a few types of food that I had him on regularly. He was diagnosed diabetic in October. Last night as I was reading through some of the posts, I felt so bad that I have not been feeding him the best wet foods. I started him on Friskies a week ago after he got sick from Fancy Feast ocean white fish. But his urine went out of control. After gathering information from here, I realized it's probably because most of the food had gravy. I have now switched him to the pates and he is doing better. He does not need insulin, thank goodness. But I have been trying to get him to gain weight for months. Hopefully Friskies will help. Thank you!

22. Deb & Wink

23. Deb & Wink

bump for July 3rd

24. ryanms3030

ryanms3030 Member

Help me understand the phosphorus numbers. I feed my cats FF classic varieties. All ones below 5% carb but phosphorus is higher then 250. So is this bad and if so, why?

25. Deb & Wink

Rhiannon made up that shortcut shopping list with the phosphorus numbers at the end so that

1. You could print it out and take it to the store with you to shop
    2. Many diabetic cats also have kidney disease. Those cats with kidney disease need foods that have <250 phosphorus.

If your cat does not have kidney disease, CRF, CKD, then you do not need to look for foods with <250 phosphorus levels.

26. Deb & Wink

27. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

28. meatball_mommy

meatball_mommy Member

I took some similar info and built it into a spreadsheet that I printed and put on the fridge for when I order off Amazon - and a two-pager at the back that I printed and take shopping with me. If anyone's interested, it's in my signature. Thanks!

29. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Thank you Rhiannon. I want to start trying J.D. on some lower phosphorus foods. This really helps.

30. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

31. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

32. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

33. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

34. sirswithin

sirswithin Member

Keep in mind that Merrick has just made a recipe change to the foods listed below. If you see cans with the same names but new labeling they will have a different guaranteed analysis. If you can find the old cans, stock up on them. I'm not buying the new stuff until I know if it's still good for my cat.

5% - Merrick Cowboy cookout 202
    8% - Merrick Grammy's pot pie 237
    3% - Merrick Surf n Turf 229
    4% -Merrick Southern delight -328 this one has crawfish in it.
    8% -Merrick Ocean Breeze 420
    9% -Merrick Turducken 219

35. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

36. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

37. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

38. houghtam

houghtam Member

This is awesome! Thank you for all your hard work. :RAHCAT

Hardey is now completely refusing to eat the FF classics (and a few weeks ago he stopped eating Friskies). I know it's the nausea associated with either the IBD or intestinal cancer (not sure which since the only way to find out is exploratory surgery which I won't put him through). Need to find new options... This will make it much easier!

39. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

40. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

so .... like... bump.... :lol:

41. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

This is wonderful! Thank you for doing this :D :D :D

42. OphiesMom

OphiesMom Member

Amazing list for newbies! My Ophie doesn't want to eat her usual foods, so... I'm going shopping!

Thank you!

43. pattymac

pattymac New Member

Awesome! This is an excellent list. Takes all the guesswork out and trying to read the microscopic print on the cans!

44. Nicksmom

Nicksmom Member

Hi, I am new to the board, and wanted to ask about Friskies Pate food. I have seen the list where it has the carbs as being below 8%. However the ingredients in Friskies include rice and carrageenan. Those are not good for diabetic cat, rice is grain and carrageenan is bad also. I got FF Classics, and Target Boots and Barkely brand, and Preferred Pets gourmet (which is comparable to Target and FF) and I've gotten Sheba pate which also is comparable. All have the meat as first ingredient and no grains and no carrageenan. So if Friskies has rice in it, which is a carb, and carrageenan, how is it ok to give to FD cat?

I want to give variety in low carb foods as Nicholas gets bored with FF Classic, Target & Preferred Pet flavors, and Friskies he did like, but the rice and carrageenan concern me.

45. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

I am aware of the rice and carrageenan in many of the foods.

I buy a lot of different brands constantly trying to convince mine to like the "better" ones but she is truly a friskies girl.

I personally blame myself for her FD because I got suckered into feeding her the friskies selects ( carbs in the 30's) and gave her
    way too many treats ( pounce, friskies, all the common ones) and guess they are all like 50% carbs.
    I just keep trying.

I'm not sure Sheba is that high a quality... but mine doesn't like it anyway.

First and foremost, they have to eat it.

46. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

47. Dusty Bones

Dusty Bones Member

Great list!!! Does anyone know why most FF classics are so high in phosphorous? Is it just a byproduct of how the food is manufactured? Just to clarify, it's not bad for otherwise healthy cats right? :shock:

48. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

it's cats that are in kidney disease that need low phosphorus.
    I like having the numbers so I don't feed all the highest ones.... I try to skip around and get mine to eat the lower ones as much as possible ( which she
    doesn't like as much)

49. Helen & Snickers

Helen & Snickers Member

Was looking for a list of low phosphorous foods for a friend, so bumping in case any of the newbies need a low carb list! Thanks for compiling.

50. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

51. Deb & Wink

52. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

53. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Maybe I'm reading this chart wrong, but looking at these Fancy Feast flavors, the phosphorus looks really high, although the carbs are good. Is there a risk of other health issues if these are eaten regularly?

54. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

You're reading it correctly; they do have higher phosphorus.

Per Dr Pierson of Cat Info, you may add 20 to 25% plain meat, poultry, or fish to the canned food, and portion out. This will reduce the fat and carbohydrate content, increase the protein content, and because it isn't adding any bone, may reduce the phosphorus content a bit.

55. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

You mean I can use up the high carb food with just adding pure protein?? That would be great because I just stocked up at BJ's a week ago and hated to lose all that food. Would baking or boiling the fish or poultry be the best way?

So glad you told me!! ohmygod_smile .."

By the way, what does it mean when someone writes "bump" in their messages?

56. Deb & Wink

Bump is simply a way to get a message higher up in the queue on the forum. It's used for posts like this shortcut shopping list that tends to get buried on page 8 after only a couple of days. Lots of traffic here on the message boards, so sometimes we like to get useful information like this back onto the first page so more people see it.

The word "bump" could be replaced by any other work or message to accomplish the same thing.

57. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

No.

You could do some mixing to dilute the high carb canned foods and freeze batches.(the solution to pollution is dilution.)
    If you have 5.5 oz of high carb and mix it with 5.5 oz of low carb, you get (high carb % + low carb %)/2 for 11 oz
    If you have 5.5 oz of high carb and mix it with 11 oz of low carb, you get the (high carb % + [2*low carb %])/3 for 16.5 oz

And so on.

58. Kathleen and Fred

Kathleen and Fred Member

Ok. Got it! The freezing idea is good because I can take my time using it up. Is Sheba pate ok? Didn't see it on the shopping list.

59. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

This is only the 8% and under list.

Go to Cat Info for the full list.

60. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

61. AvalonWitch

AvalonWitch Member

What a lifesaving thread! This makes me feel relieved, I was starting to give up on finding low carb/low phosphorus foods. One question though. I'm a bit of a novice and rubbish with numbers; what does the triple-digit value for phosphorus come from? I've been carousing charts trying to find less than 1% phosphorus on a DMA but i'm a little confused by this new way of measuring phosphorus. Gonna discuss diet with my vet on Thursday so i'd like to be prepared. I understand it's mg, right? But out of the whole can or...??? And what would a 250mg number look like translated to Dry Matter analysis? I'm assuming more than 1% but still "okay?"

62. BaileyUK

BaileyUK Member

What a helpful list,has anyone the time to do similar for the UK /Europe cat foods? That would be one less problem for new members joining the forum.

63. Deb & Wink

64. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

65. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.