Should I give a second shot?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by TempestsMum, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

so The vet told me to give once a day for a couple of days so I could get used to it. But I feel I'd like to go ahead and give 2 today mostly because I will be here all day tomorrow and not here on Friday so I want to keep a close eye on her throughout the first night and next day, The only thing is I would be about hour later than she should be getting it. She will be getting at 8am and then 8pm and it's now 9pm would that really mess things up?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Since ProZinc is an in and out insulin a strict 12 hour schedule isn't as important as with the depot insulins like Lantus. Also since no insulin lasts 24 hours, twice a day dosing is best.

TempestsMum likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Since you'll be around tomorrow, you can test and shoot at 8:30 to slowly get back to your 8 o'clock schedule. So, yes since she's in the pinks I'd shoot. Get a before bed test tonight.

TempestsMum likes this.
  4. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Done :) I will be up and down most of the night haha and will test about 5 or 6 am thank you

Sharon14 likes this.
  5. Sharon14

Try to get a test in before that. Her nadir today was a 94 @+6. Try to get a +5 to see if she's heading down.

TempestsMum likes this.
  6. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok I will set my alarm for 2.30am and take her food away about midnight.

7. Sharon14

I wouldn't worry about taking her food away mid cycle, although you can if you want, That's mostly for PS's to make sure our dose isn't food influenced. If you're up at midnight, grab a test though. The more data the better. Did you take it away from her today before the 94 test?

8. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok the vet told me to start feeding her set meals.. (Grumble) but I do see the wisdom of it as she only eats small amounts at any one time.

No she hadn't eaten though as I was here the whole time. She's not a cat that stuffs her face, she picks mostly. She did have a couple of flakes of chicken after her tests (and failed tests)

9. Sharon14

Always treats after tests, even failed ones! :cat: I feed my cat two big meals a day and 1or2 small ones between. An auto feeder is useful for those days when you can't be there to feed the snacks. What schedule does your vet want?

TempestsMum likes this.
  10. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Oh yes she's such a good kitty, and it's not her fault if I mess up. She knows when I open the fridge now that I might be getting chicken or turkey out and comes running then I go to my bed and sit down. She pops onto the bed for me to get her ear stabbed lol I don't rush it and it can take me a good 20 or more minutes before I get to pop the lancet in but my thinking is that if I take my time now it will pay off in the long run so lots of petting,ear fondling and a bit of play while I warm her ears up a couple of fake goes and then I stick it in.

He says to feed her once in the morning and then 8pm when I'm injecting her and leave a spoonful or so of dried food out in case she feels 'low' herself and wants a snack.

Ruby&Baco likes this.
  11. Sharon14

That's what my vet said too. My problem with leaving food out is I have so many cats, I'd never know who ate what! Also, since Colin has Acromegaly, he's starving all the time and would probably eat everything!

TempestsMum likes this.
  12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

you should add what the actual units were that you injected into your spreadsheet.

Sharon14 and TempestsMum like this.
  13. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I only have Tempest left and am still mourning my other cat - it was January but I'm still not ok. And I think that's making this whole thing worse for me.

Acromegaly? :bookworm:

That would be a good plan! Doh!
    Janet you are quite right, thanks for the heads up! So much to remember. :cat:

14. Sharon14

15. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Omg! Your poor kitty :( as if you haven't enough to contend with. I don't know how you cope with that it must be really scary especially as it says (if I read it right) you Have to constantly change your insulin levels all the time?

16. Sharon14

With Levemir I don't have to change dose too often, but when he has a low number PS, I usually do reduce. Fortunately he is always ready to eat and so far, I've never had a hypo-anti jinx!

TempestsMum likes this.
  17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hello! I see Sharon already gave you great advice. Yeah, I think it's good to start getting those 2 shots a day in especially since you can be around to test.

That was a pretty big drop you got today. And since you're using the AT, it was pretty low. I'd definitely make sure to get a before bed test to see where she's headed.

We might need to lower the dose some if she is getting drops that bring her too low. Something to look into tomorrow, if she goes low again tonight. :) What time zone are you in?

18. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Hi Rachel, :)
    Thanks for your response.. Have to say I'm umm a bag of nerves lol terrified I will have her hypo!

Going to test again +4 which is just over an hour from now and again +6 I'm low on strips so need to make sure I get ones that count. I will get some more tomorrow even if they aren't the right ones but hoping my new tub arrives.

I'm in NIreland so GMT

19. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Don't be worried!!! I don't think you're going to see a hypo necessarily. I mean, you dropped to a pretty low number today, but it wasn't in hypo range...even for an ATM meter. It's around 68 that hypo starts on that meter, so you were perfectly safe...just something to be cautious about. :) Have you read our hypo sticky? Have a hypo kit ready? That's really all you can do. If you ever do run into that situation, post here (and on the main health board). We usually have folks around who can walk you through it. Again, I wouldn't be worried about it...just something to be ready for just in case!

I figured you might be overseas! I would loooovvvveeee to visit Ireland one day. It sounds fabulous and looks gorgeous from what I see online!

Let us know what kind of numbers you get tonight!

20. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I've been following her about all day lol I had to leave for an hour to go feed and look after my horse (great therapy! As I got my bg after that as was so worked up previously I kept messing up - hence lack of strips now).

She's been normal all day even when she hit her green numbers. If anything I'd say she's been better than she has been which is another reason why I decided to go ahead with the second shot tonight.

I've read that sticky a lot lol I've honey on hand, some biscuits (couldn't get hi carb food in the local shop but will get some tomorrow) and the emergency vets on speed dial. Thank goodness the emergency vets is 10 minutes from me so I can get there in approx 20 mins by the time I phone a taxi, get her in the box and get going!
    If it's before 8pm I can literally walk to the other vets which is 5 minutes away and my own vet is 15 - 20 minutes drive and they are also open to 8pm.

Lol it is a lovely place! :) you should definitely come visit! If the weather was better here we wouldn't need to go abroad on holiday! However then we wouldn't be so green and lush so double edged sword as they say! Is there anywhere specific you'd like to see?
    Where are you from?

21. Sharon14

I have horses too! Do you ride?

22. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Not any more, I've a silver bay Appaloosa miniature, and just acquired a rescue donkey foal. I had to give up horse riding when I got sick 24 years ago so I took up driving instead. My little guy is just 4 so he's being trained this year - long reining and what have you. So hopefully next year I can get a wee cart for him. :)

Would love to know about yours! :)

23. Sharon14

I have Quarter Horses. I used to have a stallion and some brood mares, but I don't breed them any more Loved to raise the babies! I used to do a little training and give lessons, now I just feed and hug them!
    image.jpg

24. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Oh wow! Gorgeous! :) I always wanted to try riding western, I was told there's a chance I could manage that because it's more difficult to fall off in a western or stock saddle. But no where here does it that I know of! You lucky lady! :D

There's nothing quite like a horse hug! Lol

25. Sharon14

I used to show western and English even did a little bit of jumping. You are more secure in a western saddle, but most important part of staying on is a calm horse!

TempestsMum likes this.
  26. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Ladies, you are making me drool here! Sharon your horses are magnificent and I can just imagine how beautiful it must be in Ireland. More pics would be welcome as I'm afraid my travels are mostly vicarious these days and we are in the midst of a severe drought rendering all of our grass an autumn golden colour.

TempestsMum likes this.
  27. Sharon14

Wish I could send you some rain. We are getting plenty.
    Would love to see some pics of Ireland too. I've been to The Republic of Ireland, but not N Ire.

28. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok so just updated my ss - I'm afraid I panicked and gave her about 7 or 8 of her emergency biscuits earlier so I guess that's why her bg has gone up.. :rolleyes: Sorry folks... Will do another in 2 hours. No more biscuits though. Promise.

I will see if I can find some pics of Where I live but not sure here is appropriate to post them?

Where are you ladies from?

29. MrWorfMen's Mom

Tara, I'm in Canada... in the largest city here, Toronto. I live in a western suburb. The city is so large and all sorts of satellite communities have popped up over the years that it's now one big area known as the Greater Toronto Area which extends for at least 50 miles (80 km) east to west and about 20 miles (32km) north to south. We have Lake Ontario on our southern border. For a big city it's safe and very clean with lots of parks and green space but the real beauty in the area can only be appreciated when one gets out of the concrete jungle about an hour and half drive north. I'm lucky to have a huge park directly across the street from my home but this year, it's just not that lush green we usually enjoy so much in the summer. Our temps are in the high 90's (35+C) with humidex readings over 100 (40+C) lately. I'm a heat lover but I've never spent so much of the summer indoors as I have this year...it's brutal. Haven't taken my kitties out for supervised romps at all which is very usual for us!:(

30. Sharon14

Wow Linda, I didn't know it got that hot up there! I'm in southern Mississippi about an hour north of New Orleans, and those are the same temps we have, but with added rain. That's normal for us though.

31. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ugh! I'm jealous of both of you! Lol I was saving for my trip of a lifetime (vets now have all my savings :( )
    I had planned to take 4-6 weeks off work and travel from Newfoundland & Labrador across Canada (take the glass train or whatever it's called) through the Rockies and go up to anchorage - that's kinda hit on the head now.. :(

32. MrWorfMen's Mom

We usually have about 10 and at most 15 days of those temps per year but this year we are already up to 29 and more to come in the next few days. I hope the rain expected on Thursday night materializes because we need it badly! Crazy when you think how much further north I am than you!
    It's bad enough the vet gets your funding but it's also hard to leave those sugar cookies we devote ourselves to in someone else's hands. I had to go to Newfoundland last February for Special Olympic National Games and man I didn't want to leave my little girl even though I knew she was in good hands. If you are ever planning to be in the neighbourhood let me know. There's a guest room waiting! :)

TempestsMum likes this.
  33. Sharon14

That sounds like a great trip! Vets have my money too, plus the fact I couldn't leave Colin for that long..

TempestsMum likes this.
  34. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I am terrible! I can't trust people with my fur babies haha! No more trips or holidays for me now. I'd be devastated if some eejit came along and messed up her shots or made her fearful. Or maybe I'm a control freak.. Not sure but I've been let down before with my pets and now find it hard to trust.

I'm supposed to be going to a Wedding in sept that's now off my list. :(

Even when I'm away I get photos and updates from whoever is looking after them usually my neighbour and my mum.

Aww thank you! That's most kind of you :) you never know! I've had this dream since I was a teen to go to the USA and Canada and always planned to. I hope I get the chance someday :)

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  35. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi there! I so understand about your reservations to leave your baby in the care of someone else. As you get more confident with this dance you will find other resources to help you like a trusted pet sitter or a vet tech that you hire. I so understand where your head is with this sugar dance. It will get easier!

TempestsMum likes this.
  36. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you I really hope that's true :) I love my pets but the occasional holiday or day away is always nice too - there's hope for me yet!

37. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Some photos I took a couple of weeks ago

Attached Files:

38. Bobbie And Bubba

Ahhhhh, beautiful! I am Irish descent and one of these days I will get there!

TempestsMum likes this.
  39. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Sunset - the titanic would have sailed from Harland and Wolf past here this is just a few miles from where the ship was built.

Attached Files:

40. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

41. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

42. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

43. Bobbie And Bubba

It must be nice to live near the shore......

TempestsMum and Sharon14 like this.
  44. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

45. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

46. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

image.jpeg The local beach

47. Sharon14

So beautiful!!!!!!

TempestsMum likes this.
  48. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

An old tree up at the field image.jpeg

49. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I think that's probably enough Irish spam :spam: :smuggrin::smuggrin:

I can't imagine not living near the shore but also the trees I think as long as I have trees I'd be grand lol

50. Sharon14

I'm a tree hugger too! Also love the ocean. One of my favorite trips is to Alabama beaches, love to look at and play in the water. Here we have to be wary of hurricanes though...

TempestsMum likes this.
  51. Bobbie And Bubba

I agree, both worlds is perfect, trees and water....

52. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I've lived in this area all my life and even though I see the same scenery day after day I still stop and look and it's still beautiful.
    There's something really haunting about living here. If you were here I would take you all for a walk to my special place really early one autumn morning. When the mist lies in the shallow hollows in the grass and the dew drops glisten and if there's a little frost, it looks like everywhere is sprinkled with fairy dust... you walk along,this dirt path which is a few feet wide and runs between two small lakes - occasionally if the temperature is just right the mist sits almost hovering just above the water and if you are incredibly lucky there are a pair of swans that come out and sail silently across the ponds.
    It's a time when you can imagine that the fae folk exist and you might catch a glimpse of the seelie.

Lol maybe I will go and get pics to share so you can all see it.

Bobbie And Bubba and Sharon14 like this.
  53. Bobbie And Bubba

It sound magical!

TempestsMum likes this.
  54. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry I have been MIA from Prozinc The pics from Northern Ireland are beautiful - I"m from Chicago - the middle of the US and the hometown of President Obama I've been to the cliffs of Moor and remember thinking that they were haunted as there was such a mystical feeling -never been to Northern Ireland but would love to

Attached Files:

TempestsMum likes this.
  55. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ditto...both worlds for me too! Those are fabulous shots Tara. I'd love to get to Northern Ireland some day. I do have to ask though....what is the seelie? Is that a pet name for your version of Nessie or our Ogopogo per chance!

TempestsMum and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  56. Sharon14

Cool pic, Carol!

57. Bobbie And Bubba

Beautiful skyline of Chicago!

58. Carol & Murphy (GA)

I wish I could take credit

59. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks for asking that question.

60. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

My boss was in Chicago last year, he really enjoyed it! :)

I've been to the cliffs too scary - lol I hate height! But yes they are a bit eerie.

There are seelie and un-seelie

The seelie are the fae folk from Ireland also known as the host. The ones you read about in fairy tales that ride out in a procession at night and live in the sidhe (pronounced she) the sidhe are large mounds sometimes with a fairy tree on top (hawthorn) they take people's horses and return them knackered (tired out) the following morning. They are mischievous and tricksy. The Un-seelie are the bad version of the seelie

They will steal children and people and take them into their world where the passes differently and a day in there may be decades out here.

See the stolen child poem as well or loreena mckennit does a fab song with it!

61. Sharon14

When I was in Dublin I bought a book of Irish folklore and those stories were in it. Some were really creepy!

TempestsMum likes this.
  62. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Can't see your pic Carol :(

Yes you definitely don't mess with them lol I grew up with the stories from the country where people would claim to me they actually saw them.

63. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Okie dokie it's 4am I got the last bg check at 6hrs 30 minutes think that looks OK to me not scary or anything?

64. Sharon14

275 is a nice number. Quite a drop from 398!

TempestsMum likes this.
  65. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Time to get a few hours sleep then :smuggrin:
    Massive thank you to everyone tonight :) talking about anything and everything was great it took my mind off it and I didn't feel alone :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Sharon14 likes this.
  66. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Tested her at 8.15am this morning she was at 254, as its close to the 200 mark, I hope I've done the right thing. I halved her dose as she seems to drop a lot but thought it was better to give her something. So gave half the unit at 8.30am after she had some chicken as a treat for her bg and a bit of breakfast.

I have some concerns I'm not using the lancets correctly, twice now she's bled profusely..

Sharon14 likes this.
  67. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hey Tara! Sorry we weren't around...your last post was early morning for us! I think halving the dose is fine. Will you be able to get some mid cycle tests today? I'd love to see how that dose does.

More likely you are hitting the vein. I've done it before (several times). If you can, try to grab a flashlight and look at your kitties ear...that's how I figured it out. You can see the vein and you want to hit to the side of it. It's okay to hit the vein...just bleeds a lot.

I'm from Alabama (at least currently...moved around a lot as a kid). Talk about heat! And I'm miserable...Im a cold weather lover. I don't know much about Ireland, so if I plan a trip, I'll be taking your suggestions! I've done some research on Scotland (due to a book series I love) and some of your stories about the seelie and un-seelie sound a lot like some of theirs too!

TempestsMum likes this.
  68. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thanks Rachel, I had wonderful support and was so glad to have it :)

I've just done a +3.5 hour one which is on my spreadsheet, and happy with the numbers it's given me. Not as nerve racking as the one I got yesterday that's for sure.

Managed not to hit the vein this time *celebrates* :p

Gosh everyone here lives in such interesting places. I know when we live somewhere it's hard not to stop looking at the little things that makes each place we live so wonderful. The saying 'stopping to smell the roses' has a lot of merit and if you take pause and look carefully things can take on a whole new light.

It's not Outlander is is? Lol
    My grandfathers family were Scottish, I have a Scottish last name and we have our own tartan. I have a wee kilt I wear over leggings sometimes. :)
    As I'm in the north our accent is actually a blend of scots and Irish accents, which is why actors find it really hard to do. They either sound Scottish or Irish depending on the word they say. Gives me a good giggle lol

69. Sharon14

133 looking good! Have you been able to get more test strips?

TempestsMum likes this.
  70. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I'm on my way out now to the pharmacy to try :) I've one left cross your fingers!

71. Sharon14

Fingers and paws crossed!!!

72. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Tara, it is Outlander! Hahaha, I adore that book and show series...been a fan for over 10 years now!

Wow, 133! That is a nice number...and it's nice that it isn't low enough to give you anxiety!

73. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Success! There is one local shop a five minute walk from me and it's a post office (one person) and a pharmacy and they had them! So didn't have a 10 day camel trek into the town. Happy days!

So I think these will give me a slightly different accuracy/reading? How do I work out the correct values?
    That worked! :)

Lol I remember reading them by chance years ago when I came across them in a second hand bookshop. The tv series is really good too!

Yes don't need to change my underwear after that reading! :oops:

74. Sharon14

@Carol & Murphy used Freestyle strips in her AT meter. She can tell you about it

TempestsMum likes this.
  75. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Hi again, Tara - @MrWorfMen's Mom is the one who really researched this topic check out her response on this thread from Sunday around 1:55 for an explanation - many of us have done side by side testing of freestyle lite strips and AT2 strips in AT2 meters and the results show the same reading (taking meter variance into account) just be sure not to change the AT2 meter code - the cat code needs to remain

TempestsMum likes this.
  76. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I also use FS Lite strips in my AT2 meter. I did many many same blood drop comparison with the AT2 meter/AT2 strips and the AT2 meter/FS Lite strips. On average I was getting a difference of about 5% between the two readings. I use the last coding from my last AT2 strip container and leave it set on that. Also I use the test solution (FS Lite test solution is BTW as accurate as AT2 test solution and much cheaper;)) and usually will do a control test with each new container of FS Lite strips I open.

I have taken my AT2 meter with FS Lite strips when I take my kitties for bloodwork and done a comparison with the lab machine values and they have all been very close.

If you decide to go this route I would suggest doing some of your own same blood drop side by side comparisons so that you are comfortable with the results.

77. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I did a test solution with the at strip 2 days ago as got an odd reading that day, if I remember right it was 7.6 or 7.8 maybe and the freestyle lite ones I just tried gave me an 8. So it seems pretty close.
    Alexi recommended the freestyle lite ones too but I didn't think to ask at the time about how much of a difference there would be..

Hello :)
    I gave that a good read thank you! So really there's not much of a difference by the sounds of things!
    As I've only one AT strip left I want to save that for tonight's shot. Do the above readings I get seem about right? I will test some of my new AT strips against the FS lite ones when they arrive and see what I think.

Carol & Murphy (GA) likes this.
  78. Carol & Murphy (GA)

That sounds good, Tara It's nice to know about the freestyle strips for emergencies just like the one you are having (running out of AT2 strips) I see you got nice numbers today - with a 133 at +4, are you planning on testing again around nadir time?

79. Tuxedo Mom

Those are perfectly fine test results. As long as the test solution test fall into the acceptable range listed on the AT2 strip container it means they are reading accurately. Test solution test will never be the same even if you do three strips on the same drop of test solution. The ranges shown on my AT2 container for test solution tests are 5.5-10.27 mmol/L (100-185 US) If you get results in these ranges the strips are working fine

TempestsMum likes this.
  80. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

So thankful! Yesterday I just kept messing up and wasted about 7 due to my nerves with it being the first day and all. Otherwise I'd have had enough to see me through until my ordered ones get here. They could be here this afternoon but not risking it.

Yes will be testing again in about 45'minutes (although I want to do it now lol) :)

81. Tuxedo Mom

Sounds like you have the makings of a true test-aholic. I know the overwhelming urge to test very well. ;)

TempestsMum likes this.
  82. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Haha I'm so very anxious I don't do this wrong it's not like you can suck it back out when it's in its in. However I'm definitely feeling a teeny weenie bit of confidence now. Mostly thanks to all of you being patient with my repetitive questions I know you've all answered a thousand times to numerous newbies. :bighug:
    But especially the way you all stayed last night - I'm on my own and no one to turn to so that meant so much!

And as for the sticky that is on the top of this forum by Sue and Oliver was brilliant - I read it when I came to this section after they pointed me that direction and that's why I decided to take the steps I did this morning, so massive thank you to Sue & Oliver for that!

Sue and Oliver (GA) likes this.
  83. Tuxedo Mom

It is always nerve wracking when you start to see lower numbers....as much as you want them they scare the heck out of you. My first blue number in the middle of a cycle freaked me out and it took me a LONG time to be willing to shoot a blue number. You are doing a great job and learning quickly!! :bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  84. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok that's pretty low! Lower than yesterday - eek!

85. Tuxedo Mom

You are on a lunch break if I remember correctly? That number is still safe, but you want to keep the numbers above 68 on the AT2 meter. Since at this point you are not really sure when the nadir (lowest number in the cycle ) is you could give a bit of medium carb food to make sure Tempest doesn't fall anymore.

Getting a curve done when you have a day off will be a good picture of how the cycles are working

86. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

No am off today have to go to work tomorrow as couldn't get it changed. Then off sat and Sunday.

I just gave her 7 biscuits which she's eaten, she looks grand, is meowing at me and watching a fly.

87. Tuxedo Mom

OK!! If Tempest is eating low carb wet it would be better to give wet food rather than the biscuits. The biscuits will stay in the system longer. With you being at home today. my suggestion would have been to give some wet LC food and then retest in 1/2 hour to see if the numbers were still dropping. If you were not able to retest then I would have suggested a little bit of MC wet food.

It "looks" like Tempest has her nadir around +6, but another curve is always useful The more information you have the better. ;)

ETA Even the 72 is still a nice safe number as long as it wasn't dropping lower.

88. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I will remember that for the next time (please no next time) I'm going to retest in 15 minutes that's 30 minutes after her last test.
    I just hope she's ok tomorrow, even if I'm home at lunch. I will make sure to make it 6 hours after her shot and think I will stick with the half dose I gave her this morning.
    My vet specifically said not to give less. But to me she'd be at the hospital right now if I had.

Sharon14 likes this.
  89. Tuxedo Mom

You want to keep the numbers in a safe area but not "over-carb" Tempest. If she was having very low numbers and falling numbers then you can pull out the big guns, but at 72 and at +6 it is more of a watch and see, since you are at home.

The 0.50 unit is definitely doing its job, so it is best to stick with that. The vet may mean well, but knowing your own kitty and seeing the way the dose causes the numbers to drop over-rides anything the vet has to say. You are working WITH Tempest and how she responds and that is the best approach.

MrWorfMen's Mom and Sharon14 like this.
  90. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

So if she went into the lime green on the ss then give biscuits? If she hits that then what happens, would she go straight into a hypo? Or is there time to pull her back at that stage?

He is not keen on me doing the curves, says its outdated and they aren't done but that I could periodically test. I think he knew the futility there as he then said 'I could I suppose check the nadir' :rolleyes:

I'm going to retest now.

91. Tuxedo Mom

With using the AT2 meter you want to keep above 68. If you were getting lower numbers early in the cycle..say at +2 or +3 you would want to intervene. If your kitty hit the lime greens you would want to give some gravy from HC wet food and a bit of syrup/honey/ maple syrup anything like that.

You should organize a hypo kit...hopefully you will never need it but for just in case. Here is a link to dealing with hypos:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-treat-hypos-they-can-kill-print-this-out.15887/

And here is one with suggestions for what to keep in the kit:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/jojo-and-bunnys-hypo-tool-box.2354/

92. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Ok I understand better now. Overacting still here. Her numbers improved (someone called at the door so only just got it) +7
    I'm not sure I'd given enough of the biscuits to make much of a difference there. But it's at 90 now. So definitely going up.

93. Tuxedo Mom

That 90 is just fine! The biscuits will bring the numbers up, it is just that the higher carb effect lasts longer with the biscuits than it does with wet food. But always best to err on the side of caution until you have more data. ;)

TempestsMum likes this.
  94. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I'm pretty tired today so everything is much harder. 3hrs 30 minutes is not really enough for me to function on. Lol

So going to leave it for a couple of hours to her preshot and use my last AT strip for that. And definitely the .5 dose (half dose) numbers aren't my thing at the best of times. :) tomorrow I will do the basics only then Saturday try to do every 2 hours the whole day. That should give me a better pic.
    Poor Tempest is tired of all the prodding and poking too.

95. Tuxedo Mom

Yes sleep deprivation makes even the simple things difficult to deal with. There is no need to test anymore until the preshot. Poor Tempest [​IMG]....all that poking and prodding...I hope she realizes it is all for her own good.

Even the 0.50 unit is giving a strong reaction, so if the preshot number is low you can post for help and you may need to skip this shot. Doing a curve on Saturday should give a good picture on how the insulin is working through the cycle. So for now give Tempest's ears a rest and you go and relax too. :bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  96. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Yes bless her, she's starting to let me know.
    I will post my numbers up before I give her it if they are 250 or less and see. I do think the .50 is good for her and my nerves lol
    I'm off to collect my dog from a friends house and then watch tv in bed lol pjs when I get home lol

Haha love the emoji that one doesn't come up for me

Thank you! :bighug:

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  97. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Have a great rest of the day Tara and enjoy TV - :bighug:

TempestsMum likes this.
  98. Tuxedo Mom

It is from an earlier version of this site. Here is the link to other emoticons. You just need to copy and paste in your comments.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/OLDFDMB/posting.php?mode=smilies&f=9#

TempestsMum likes this.
  99. MrWorfMen's Mom

Just catching up here! What a beautiful cycle Tempest had today. Tara you must be exhausted but you are handling this like a pro! Those first green numbers were scary for all of us so we understand all too well. Will be watching to see what the PMPS brings! :D

TempestsMum likes this.
  100. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Just done her pmps and I'm happy to give the .50 as she has a high reading. Really think this is the dose she should have been started on.
    I used my last AT strip and tested the FS strip on the same droplet which I've added into notes.

AT strip tested @ 18.1 (326)
    FS strip tested @ 19.7

I'm absolutely shattered and feeling so ill! But I feel it's worth it! :smuggrin:

MrWorfMen's Mom and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.