Should I raise Joe's dose again?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Susan Pomo, Oct 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

@JanetNJ @smorgasbord
    what do you think? Has it been enough time.
    He is looking good, eating homemade cooked meals but hungry a lot.

2. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Well-Known Member

Awesome recovery today to that 211 +2!
    Has he been ok with allowing tests? With a drop that big from 480 to 211, you want to do your best to get more tests in if he'll let you. Just in case he keeps going down fast. Maybe get another one in at +4 or +5, to see how he's leveling out.
    As for his dose, tomorrow will be the 7th day at 2.5, and it doesn't look like he's getting nadirs below 150, so I'd increase after tomorrow if it were me. That would be an increase Tuesday morning per Prozinc SLGS guidelines.

Of course I don't have the experience @JanetNJ has, so let's see what she says, I'm just here for moral support :)

But you better start getting PM tests especially if you get yellow PMPS numbers! Tell Joe we said so, and he needs them to be safe!

3. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I raised to 2.75 this morning and because life was so hectic this morning I had not had a chance to check here to see what others might have said. I had a feral kitten, here at my home, that I trapped at the local fire station die of Panleuk on Friday. I had him socialized, he would purr when I picked him up, I had just got him neutered and poof, he got sick and two days later he was gone. The ravages of Panleuk are hideous. Please pay respect to wonderful Ashton. RIP, I will never forget you.

upload_2021-10-4_8-25-47.jpeg

Because of this 3 of my cages that he inhabited, had to be sterilized making everyone around her having to change rooms. Also the living room as Ashton was enjoying his first few days of free-roaming after doing one week in my garage and then two weeks in a cage in my living room. Now I feel my whole house is tainted and I will not be able to randomly take kittens home here. I have shaved Jenny (the cat that was covered in mats) staying with me for a week while her potential adopter vacays. Hopefully he will be fully ready to take Jenny home when he returns.
    And I have another sweet soul that I TNR'd at a local trailer park and she is a teen that has already had a litter and is just too sweet to dump back at the trailer park. She is lounging in another cage in my study. I do not know where she will be going I just know I could not dump her back at the trailer park to fend for herself. Things at my house are hectic.
    Joe got 2.75 today and I will monitor him closely.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
    Biggietoms, Lando demando and JanetNJ like this.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I like the raise. So so sorry about the lose of the kitten. :(

Susan Pomo likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry about Ashton , what a precious boy.
    Fly high sweet baby ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

Good luck with the increase :cat:

Susan Pomo likes this.
  6. smorgasbord

Oh no. That is heartbreaking. Ashton certainly looks like he was a sweetie.
    At least your house will be super duper clean once you've finished? Silver lining :(
    Hope Joe likes this dose, I see he got blue and great job getting that +8 after the blue.

7. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

My house is super-duper clean but I am told can be tainted and one should not have any unvaccinated cats in the home for one year. Tt will really cramp my rescuing efforts as I usually drag cats and kittens home all the time. They almost always spend the first week or two in a cage in the garage but eventually come into a cage in a bedroom. I will just have to be very careful about getting all an FVRCP vaccine and a booster before they come in the house.

Yesterday I was terrible about testing Joe because I had a zillion things come up that I HAD to tend to. Better today I hope.

8. smorgasbord

One year, wow. That's really going to be difficult huh.
    Well do the best you can, if you can't manage a test, you can always keep an eye on his hunger. Templeton surprised me yesterday by going to eat hours old food left out, and that's a signal that he is very low, I tested and he was 49.
    If you know Joe's eating habits, you can look for things like that.
    Good luck with the cleaning!

9. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joe is finally starting to get full from a normal meal and it is such a relief to see him chillaxin.
    I have ordered the ezcompleter and Joe is loving his homemade food.

JanetNJ likes this.
  10. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I was hoping to raise Joe's dose another .25 to 3. and then he got that pesky 148 today

• If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

11. JanetNJ

148 and 150 are the same thing. Raise of your think he needs it.

12. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OK then. Good to know.

13. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Joe and his darn curveballs. I was planning to raise him to 3. this morning when I knew I would be home and could monitor. I did a +11 and he was 114!

JanetNJ likes this.
  14. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

YIKES! A serious curveball! 78 at +2

15. JanetNJ

Just like what happened on 9/19. I'd feed some m-hc food and test again in a half hour

16. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I did feed but not HC. That was an hour ago.
    Just tested again and 48. I gave M-HC food but not sure how much.
    How much to give?

17. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

Also should I have given less insulin this morning based on his +11 number and his PS number?

18. JanetNJ

I
    would have stalled for an hour to see if it was going up before deciding on a dose. Give a few teaspoons. If you have gravy food give mostly the gravy so he doesn't fill up and then stop eating.

19. JanetNJ

It's been a half hour since the last test. Can you get another test in now. Now that he's really too low is going to be important to test often

20. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

next test was done 67
    Sorry, I did not see this request until just now

JanetNJ likes this.
  21. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OK, next time. If it was going up then full dose and if not a lesser dose?

22. JanetNJ

Pretty much, yes

23. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

from 9/28 when I raised him to 2.5 and then on to 2.75, it looked like he would be due another increase and I was sort of counting on that. Then he does this weird dropping thing. I have changed his diet and am adding fresh cooked meat to his favorite Weruva's and a bit of cooked meat with completer in it on the side.

24. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

OK, I see where I KNEW that and did that on 9/7. Darn this brain for getting old and forgetful.
    On another note, Joe is looking his best ever. Normal poops, silky and shiny coat and always walking around with his tail in the air. He waits for me outside my bedroom door in the mornings because he wants his meal, BUT sometimes I notice he sleeps in. Does my heart good to see him really resting. I am thankful for that and hope it continues.
    I am a little scared because his urine output is huge.

25. JanetNJ

Large urine output is expected with both diabetes and ckd.

Susan Pomo likes this.
  26. smorgasbord

Glad to hear he's feeling great. AND eating food that is good for him.

27. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

I know I am not doing great by Joe as I spend so much time trying to get these darn cats at Publix. Every night! Drop trap used twice. Mackerel and tuna were used. The problem is they have a fan base and so many people were feeding even though I have signs up everywhere to NO FEED THE CATS. There is one so sweet young orange guy that is partly friendly and I have to get him. It haunts me. I cannot let him grow up in the parking lot to be hit by a car one day. I cannot imagine not having him soon and then I will take a break and do a better curve with Joe.

JanetNJ likes this.
  28. Susan Pomo

Susan Pomo Member

upload_2021-10-19_0-34-13.jpeg this cat has alluded me for longer than I care to admit. About 9-10 days total. Sometimes early morning, sometimes late at night. Drop trap, camouflaged traps, mackeral, tuna, nothing was working. He always seemed to outsmart me. See him laughing at me in the above pic as I once again pack up without him.
    upload_2021-10-19_0-36-38.jpeg
    tonight was my lucky night. He is now resting in my spare bedroom with a nice meal and water.
    upload_2021-10-19_0-37-34.jpeg

Biggietoms likes this.
  29. JanetNJ

Well done. Your persistence paid off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.