? Should I try to find the nadir?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cat Caregiver, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Since switching to wet food, Oliver's BG just gave the lowest AMPS so far. So, I measured a +2 and am wondering what I should do next. Check +3 or +4 or don't bother?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I think finding the nadir is important for any instance. Its only going to help you "know thy cat" better.;):coffee::cat:

3. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

So I'll check the +3 and +4, etc. until it appears!

One more question: Oliver is ravenous. He's already eaten 3 small cans since breakfast 7 hours ago and he is camping out in the kitchen and crying for food. Do I just keep feeding?

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Is he under weight?

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

If yes, I’d keep feeding. I’m not an expert on vetsulin by any means, but I think he’s overdue for an increase

6. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Since food seems to make such a big change in the BG, I'm wondering if adding the FRISKIES yesterday and today may have shortening the DURATION of the Vetsulin. The 10/14/2020 P.M. BG Curve and the 10/15/2020 A.M. BG Curves each had longer DURATION and Oliver was eating only FF. We added the FRISKIES after these two curves and now we have a very short DURATION.

My daughter noticed that FRISKIES has rice in it.

7. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Last year he weighed 9 lbs. and his ideal weight is probably between 8 and 9 lbs.

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

IIRC, I think Oliver's Person was holding off looking at the dose till the food transition was completed safely but now I agree it needs looking at. :)

Mogs

9. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

I would like to establish whether DURATION of insulin is influenced by DIET. Apparently it is! I think I'll feed ONLY FF for the next 24 hrs and run a curve tomorrow. Does this sound OK?

Also, thanks again y'all. I agree that DOSE needs to be looked at.

Oliver is a NEW boy on FF!!! So happy...waiting for more FF:cat:. Oli waiting.jpg

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Running the curve tomorrow is fine.

Chances are that Oliver is so hungry because his numbers are high. I also suspect that given his body is used to spending time in higher numbers, his body is treating those yellow numbers like they are "lows." When a cat drops into low numbers, they will typically seek out food spontaneously.

11. Critter Mom

So glad Oliver's enjoying his new grub! Lovely picture. :)

Mogs

12. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

Wow! That makes a lot of sense. I could never understand or do this without you guys. Thanks. After the yellow +2, I got purple for +3 and +4 and rising so I will stop today's curve. I'm running low on strips and may have to wait for the new one's to arrive.

13. Critter Mom

A tip re meters:

As you've probably read, most members use a human meter in preference to a pet meter because the strips are cheaper. I loved my Alphatrak so kept with it. Like yourself, I had to order strips and wait for them to be delivered. So I wouldn't get caught short, I also got a human meter which I knew I could easily get test strips for from local pharmacies as a backup. It gave me much peace of mind to know it was there in reserve should I run out of strips for the Alphatrak. Might be something to consider if you're sticking with the pet meter long term.

Mogs

14. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

What a beauty!!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

15. Cat Caregiver

Cat Caregiver Member

I bought the AlphTrak2 only because the vet used it and I found a good deal on it. I was able to get a good price on 50 more strips to replace the first 50. I hoped that 100 strips would be all I needed and that Oliver would go into remission. Such naivety!

Thanks for the tip. I will get the ReliOn from Walmart since it's so popular.

16. Critter Mom

Nowt wrong with a bit of ambition! :D

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.